Erythritol - tired the next day!

newbies
sweeteners
food

You’re lucky. For some reason about a year ago I developed an intolerance to all sugar alcohols and allulose. Even small amounts give me raging diarrhea for a good six hours or so. It seems to have started after I was using allulose for a few months. Now the only sweetener I use, on the rare occasions I use sweetener, is stevia.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

You can cut back on the amount of erythritol necessary by using a blend with another, more powerful sweetener, such as stevia.

(Jane Srygley) #23

Super interesting! I eat (or drink) the stuff every single day in one form or another. I’m sure it’s not great for me but right now it’s helping me stay on track. Definitely something to consider when I can manage it though!

I’ve been reading through Bruce Fife’s book, The Stevia Deception, (which includes Erythritol and other sweeteners) and he details anecdotes of similar results in many people: headache, foggy, tired, sluggish etc. Of note, he also wrote that many experiments suggest that it is the taste of sweetness on the tongue that sends the signal to the brain to release insulin into the body, because if someone simply swallowed a capsule of the same alternative sweetener, bypassing the tongue, then no increase in insulin was observed. This effect could be limited to one’s particular genetic body, or it might to some degree apply to all bodies. He further makes the point that, because the sugar industries (coca cola, etc) want to get “in” on this money-making scheme, they are therefore producing (falsified) Stevia/Erythritol “studies” that put these sweeteners in a favorable light. I ate a whole pint of “Keto Ice Cream” the other night, (Stevia+Erythritol blend), and had a headache the next 2 days. Gotta pay the Devil his dues I suppose, but in the future, I shall endeavor to avoid these sweeteners. It would be interesting to experiment with a CGM - a Continuous Glucose Monitor, to see what happens to my blood glucose after eating various foods, including these sweeteners. I think that needs to be my next step. I am committed to Keto, and in a sense I’m doing penance for years of eating typical American food ( “here kids, have some sugar with your Frosted Flakes; and – have some soybean margarine on your toast.” ) These corporations have been making profits while destroying our health.