Erythritol help

(chad) #1

Is this the right stuff… also where it says carbs, do I need to count those or no?

(Bunny) #2

Non-GMO :+1:

In this video, Dr. Berg talks about Erythritol. Erythritol is a sugar alcohol but it doesn’t have alcohol in it. It is an alternative sweetener and is 70% of the sweetness as actual table sugar. It has a cooling factor and zero glycemic index and it does not increase the blood sugars. He also talks about where problems with Erythritol.

Erythritol Factors:
• Sugar Alcohol
• 70% Sweet
• Cooling Factor
• Zero Glycemic Index
• Bacteria have hard time consuming

(chad) #3

well I got non gmo so I guess I can eat it…looking forward to sweetened coffee again…,.oil and butter and cream just aint cutting it

if anyone else has any more knowledge please let me know.
I dont want to trick my self and find out later this stuff is bad lol thanks

(Mike W.) #4

How long have you been Keto? I found my craving for sweets has decreased. Now I crave fats.

(chad) #5

I dont crave sweets, I really never have. I dont really crave food except that I just feel like I should be eating. I like to have a cup of coffee in the morning and it just taste horrible. thats the only reason I need some sweetner

and as to how long on keto, not long. im on my first week. im just working on what I can and cant have at the moment. been keeping my carbs under 20g and fat high. but a nice cup of coffee would be nice lol

(Brian) #6

For my coffee, I usually use SweetLeaf Sweet Drops and some heavy whipping cream. It’s stevia, not erythritol. But I don’t get the stevia wang like some people seem to.

When I go out to eat, I have some packets of Truvia that I picked up at Walmart, basically granulated erythritol. It does the job.

:slight_smile:

(Ellie) #7

It is the best stuff as it isn’t bulked out with maltodextrin as some can be. And yes you should count the carbs.
In any case try to minimise your use of it. A bit in coffee is one thing but daily ‘keto’ desserts full of sweetners is asking for trouble.

(Anne Brodie) #8

The carbs to count are net carbs, which is the total carbs minus fiber and sugar alcohol. The “Erythritol” on the label is a sugar alcohol so the net carbs here are 4g total - 0 fiber - 4g sugar alcohol = zero net carbs. So no, you don’t count them. I really like erythritol. The only issue for me is the cooling effect. Most of the time it doesn’t matter at all but in a few things it is very noticeable and really detracts.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

Be careful with Truvia, since they sell a lot of versions that contain sucrose or maltodextrin. You have to read the list of ingredients, not just the nutrition panel, to be sure of what you are getting. Also, Stevia in the Raw is stevia-flavored maltodextrin.

(Christine) #10

If you’re super duper new, try to wait a month or 6 weeks for the faux sweetners. But I still struggle with them making my sugar cravings worse.

But that’s me. Some say it keeps them compliant bc they get treats here and there.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Yeah, it’s different for everyone. The way I look at it, if using an artificial sweetener is going to help someone achieve the other benefits of a ketogenic diet, more power to them!

(Christine) #12

Yeah my corn and ragweed and nut reactions mean I shouldn’t have swerve or Stevia or the flours but some times a Keto donut is a Keto donut.

("Don't call it calories, call it food") #13

I’ve realized that Erythritol messes with me, so I am avoiding all sweetners. If you are new to keto and are just trying out the Erythritol, keep an eye on how you feel for the days after eating it. I am bloated and sluggish and I would guess if I had a monitor that I am on the way out of ketosis. Back to plain old Coconut Cream for me! :slight_smile:

I love erythritol. Best of the sweeteners by far - for me.
But we are all different, so just try it and see.

Some people can get raised bg and an insulin response with sawdust, so of course the same thing can happen with sweeteners, but many don’t, and even if it does happen, the frequency and portion size will make a big difference.

Erythritol passes through undigested, so no need to count the carbs at all.

Erythritol molecules aren’t metabolized, so the carb count isn’t anything to worry about. Some folks have neurological/addictive reaction to sweets in general though, which seems to interfere w/ their metabolic healing. Fortunately I’m not one of those though.

It mixes really well with a few drops of Stevia to bring the sweetness up a few notches (that is, if you’re not prone to a sweets addiction).

The other morning, I made a spontaneous griddle cake w/ coconut flour, psyllium husks, eggs, baking soda, 1 tblsp erythritol, salt, ghee - then after I took it out, added more ghee to the pan and 1/2 cup frozen blueberries w/ another 1/2 tblsp erythritol to warm them a bit. Added the berries on top of the pancake along with 4 dabs of cream cheese to which I added a drop of Stevia on each. First time ever that something “sweet” I’ve cooked on keto actually turned out to deliver a nice sweet taste for a couple of bites lol.

I used to be very cautious w/ erythritol usage, as I hate the chemical sounding name and the expense. But once I learned that it’s not metabolized I have slowly given myself permission to increase it. I use 1.5 tblsp in a smoothie to sweeten the berries/natural syrup etc.

Lots of the keto desserts recipes in the books of Marina Slajerova involve erythritol + Stevia - not that I’ve made any of them yet!

I buy Anthony’s non-GMO erythritol on Amazon for a great deal!

I use erythritol for coffee. It’s by far the best tasting alternative to sugar that I have found.

I’m just testing to see if I can stay in ketosis with it. So far my ketone level is dropping, but not to a point of ‘drop out’ yet. I might be a bit over cautious with it because, I had some Hartleys sugar free jelly (orange) and some double cream, for a few nights. My ketone level plummeted. I had to stop quick. This dessert should be ok on keto. Didn’t go so well for me, so I’m a bit dubious about erythritol as well

What is this ‘cooling’ effect?
What side effects do you guys get with it? I haven’t really noticed any yet.

I think erythritol is about the ‘safest’ of the sweeteners, because it isn’t recognised by the gut so passes through undigested. So no ‘impact’ on blood chemistry - unless the sweet taste triggers an insulin response in you? It doesn’t in me, thankfully. It is the only one I use. No side effects at all.

The cooling effect is only something I have noticed in baking and fat bombs. Never going to notice it in hot drinks.