Erythritol and bowel troubles?

(Mel) #1

Has anyone been fine with erythritol and then suddenly one day you can’t tolerate it anymore? Even the tiniest amount seems to send me running for the bathroom.:anguished:

Erythritol and IBS symptoms

Wow. Did you change brand? Or buy another batch?
Or always from the same package?

(Mel) #3

The first time it happened was with another brand which also had oligosaccharides in it, so then I went back to the original one I had bought which has only erythritol as the ingredient, it still happened. I plan on doing another trial just to be sure but I will wait until I can handle the repercussions.

interesting. yes, another test trial is a good idea.

Keep us posted with what you discover.

(Mel) #5

I will :slight_smile:

(Jennibc) #6

Was there ever an update to this story? I searched it because this is exactly what has happened to me. Started using it this past summer and was good having it once a week for about 2 months and then suddenly it’s triggered what feels like IBS symptoms.

(Jennibc) #7

Greetings - I did a search but didn’t find much on this topic so am throwing it out there. About three months ago I started using erythritol on a weekly basis. I had no problems initially. However, the last month, each time I have used it, no matter how small the amount I have had what have amounted to IBS symptoms. Bloating, runny stool, difficulty sleeping, etc. I searched high and low about the relationship between these two things on the web, and just about everything I read says that erythritol is supposed to be well tolerated and NOT cause these kinds of problems. Perhaps I am an outlier? Just lucky? Anyone else have these issues? At this point I am going to give it a rest for about a month and see if that changes things.

(Allie) #8

It’s a common side effect from the sugar alcohols. Erythritol is one of the safest generally, but still causes gastric distress for some people.

(Jennibc) #9

Yes, that’s what I read about sugar alcohols typically, but that erythritol is not likely to do it. I guess I really am just a ‘lucky’ outlier. Thanks for the response! Back to my no sweet existence I guess!

(Allie) #10

Have you tried monk fruit? Lots have success with using it as a sweetener. I’m quite happy being sweetness free, never been a massive fan of sugary things thankfully.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

The monk fruit available in my area is cut with erythritol, so be careful! Monkfruit is like stevia, so sweet that it has no bulk. I believe that there are probably monkfruit drops available somewhere, however, just as there are stevia drops.

@Jennibc Be aware that everyone has different reactions to each of the different non-sugar sweeteners. They are not tested for, because the only requirement for selling a non-sugar sweetener in the U.S. market is proof that it does not raise serum glucose, and proof that it does not cause cancer. (They may not require proof of the latter before you put the product on the market; but the mere possibility that it might cause cancer will definitely get it yanked from the market immediately.) Those are the only two issues that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration cares about.

(Laurie) #12

Re the fact that it didn’t affect you at first but does now: I’m finding that I’m becoming ever more sensitive to certain things. Maybe it’s part of the body’s adjustment to keto. I used to be a human garbage disposal, with no noticeable effects on digestion, how I felt, etc.

(Jennibc) #13

Since you moved my post into this thread would you mind retitling it so it would be more specific? I’d found this post earlier and then put the question on it, but decided the title wasn’t specific enough and it was three years old. Thanks for considering it.