Episode suggestion

debate

(Oded Shopen) #1

Hey @carl and @richard.

Love your podcast, listening to it regularly since episode one.

Now that you passed the 70 shows mark, I was thining about an original concept for an episode:

Why not bring an expert who disagrees with the ketogenic lifestyle? For the past 70 shows, there’s been a lot of interviews with people who are all fully into the ketogenic lifestyle, but we all know many in the medical field completely disagree with this way of eating. I just think it would be very exciting and interesting to have a form of debate where each shows their own side, their own “show me the science”. After all, we always tell ourselves to question everything we know and hear about nutrition, so why not challenge ourselves as well?

Just a thought.

Keep up the great work!

(Richard Morris) #2

an Excellent idea. I have a few in mind who don’t entirely agree with ketogenic diets, but yeah maybe someone who is dead set against it … and lets see how they construct their worldview.

It would even be interesting to have a guest who thinks long term consistent ketosis isn’t ideal (e.g. Mercola, Perlmutter, Sisson)

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

Just my 2 cents worth, but I think we have way to much promotion/podcasts/websites for none LCHF/KETO lifestyles.

I love the 2dudes because, Science and great n=1 experiments, yea, RECIPES and MAIL as well.

(Richard Morris) #5

We have a DIETITIAN who is interested in being a guest. Will let you know more when we get more info. :slight_smile:

(Crow T. Robot) #6

Claire? Ooh, spicy! :smiling_imp:

(Crow T. Robot) #7

Hey, Richard. Not sure if you’re aware (I know you’ve been busy, lol) but I follow Chris Masterjohn on twitter and he’s been talking more openly recently about insulin not being an important factor in weight gain and says that it will be explained in subsequent videos on his site. AFAIK, he’s not anti-LCHF, but it would certainly be a bombshell if he actually had something to back up this opinion. I suspect he’s getting too into the weeds and not “seeing the forest” if you’ll forgive the mixed metaphor, but there could be something useful in it.

Maybe a bit early to plan, but he could be a decent “alternative” guest once his info comes out. I still have mixed feelings of how good a show it would be if he completely trashes the insulin hypothesis. I’ll leave that up to you. If what he says comes to fruition, though, you might want to be ready to address the inevitable questions.

(Richard Morris) #8

I like to listen to Dr Masterjohn when I ride. I got a lot of my information for http://blog.2keto.com/steak-cake/ from researching the biochemistry of ketogenesis thanks to several of his podcasts sending me in the right direction.

(Jamie Hayes) #9

The middle ground is to have a guest who argues that not everybody needs to be in ketosis to lose weight.

(Richard Morris) #10

I could make that case myself :slight_smile:

I’d recommend Mark Sisson for two reasons:

1. He’s awesome.

2. He’s releasing a Keto book October 3rd and would very likely be interested in getting your audience’s ear/attention as part of his press tour.

(Richard Morris) #12

I would love to interview Mark Sisson.

(Zu) #13

A high carb vegetarian… ewwww… one of those people - the ones who say fat is BAD!

@Fatzo, who are you referring to?

(Richard Morris) #15

Someone who entirely disagrees with a Ketogenic diet - could chose any spokesperson for the Dietitians Association of Australia.

(Zu) #16

I was saying to interview one who is of that particular WOE - I can’t think of anyone off the top of my head, but the other day someone on a health site said elephants eat grass, therefore we should eat vegetables and plants only. I mean, sure that is perfect logic… NAWT

@richard yep, any gov who advocate their bogus illuminati triangle food thing LOLL its all corporate interest…Its a very insidious and suspicious thing… I feel like Aus is getting diet advice from phillip morris or at the best a hungry 4 year old who has been fed MSG all their lives and now craves a horrible diet… sure. lets go with that for the nation…

(Stickin' with mammoth) #17

I have to agree, and I skip those sites for the same reason I don’t watch the news–I don’t need daily doses of crazy to remind me I’m sane.

@richard I would actually love to hear someone who can make sense of what feels like a paradox to me: some people really do get excellent blood sugar regulation from a high carb very low-fat diet. From everything that I know about traditional diets and the nutrient density of fatty animal products, I would never recommend LFHC; when it comes to long-term health, cognition, and fertility, LC just seems so much better. However, I’m very curious about the mechanisms involved in LFHC success especially when it comes to blood sugar response and would love to understand that better.

Also - this may have been mentioned above - I’m curious about hearing from someone who uses keto as a tool but isn’t necessarily keto all the time. I do think that long-term keto success rates have a bit of a bias built in since the folks who have the most dramatic turnarounds in health are generally those who do particularly badly with the standard LFHC advice. I’m sure this has something to do with genetics, something to do with personal health history and that there are many other factors, but I’ve heard some LC folks talk fairly convincingly about metabolic flexibility requiring some higher carb input (or at least periods of higher carbs within a mostly keto life).

Edited for punctuation!

(Ethan) #19

Especially if that person opposes it for a person with type-2 diabetes.

(Doug) #20

Hi Madeline. :slightly_smiling_face: Dr. Fung has talked about such people. The example I remember him giving was Asian people who eat a high-carbohydrate diet such as lots of rice. His point was that they often are eating the carbs just once or twice during the day. Even if there is a stout insulin response, it’s not occurring many times per day, leading to a lower overall average level and less insulin resistance, if any. The general benefits of eating less often - that apply with all forms of eating for some (most?) people, apparently - apply there too.

Very good question. I think it’s a self-fulfilling prophecy - that those for whom the standard LFHC is really bad, will often do very well eating ketogenically. My gut feeling - sure, genetics plays an important part, but at the present time, vast numbers of people are becoming overweight/have metabolic syndrome/pre-diabetes/diabetes due to that very LFHC eating, especially with the prevalence of snacking and eating meals “just because it’s time.” The CDC says that 1 in 3 Americans will be diabetic by the year 2050 (good grief!). To substantially reverse all of that, the diet and frequency of eating, and then see a large preponderance of good results should be no surprise.

Metabolic flexibility - I don’t know about this. Perhaps I’m not understanding, here. On the face of it, doesn’t sound like that would require higher carb input, to me, i.e. the liver normally will make plenty of sugar for the blood, even if no carbs at all are being eaten. Personally, in four months, I’ve never felt nor even dreamed that I “needed” higher carbs.

That said, I do take in “too many” carbs every so often, once a week at least, on average. I lost weight fairly fast in the beginning, so assumed all was well, and have never tested myself for ketones. I notice that fasting really helps with weight loss, and assume it makes up for some of the too-heavy-on-carb days.