Episode #71 - The Salt Fix

One of the reason he suggests Redmond Real Salt in the book is because of the mineral content contained. It’s quite high in iodine as well as other electrolytes apparently.

Seaweed is a great source of iodine. If you have a Costco in your area there are some pretty tasty seaweed snacks they sell which I have grown to really like.

(Allie) #62

I’ve got some Celtic grey salt on order, to use in addition to my Himalayan pink salt.

(Arlene) #63

I buy a high-potency iodine tincture off amazon. It’s as easy as putting a little on your skin every day. Read up on iodine. As far as I’m concerned, I don’t trust our oceans any more for iodine or fish consumption in general. The HUGE amounts of chemicals and garbage that gets added to the ocean daily is staggering. It just makes me sick.
Supposedly you can’t get enough iodine from Redmond salt or any other salt. Best to read up on this for yourself and make your own decision.

(Richard Morris) #64

I get toasted Nori sheets from Costco and use them instead of bread to make an open sandwich

(Allie) #65

There’s so much I see posted about Costco products but the UK stores just don’t stock them :frowning:

(Richard Morris) #66

Sorry. They came to Australia 3 years ago, and they are very popular in the USA.

I’m not sure if this helps you in the UK but I know in the US the Costco has very different inventories from store to store. Not sure if each store manager makes those decisions or what but the stores around the Seattle area vary greatly. Good luck.

(Allie) #68

Thanks but there aren’t many Costco stores here either so I would have a long drive to get to a different one. Don’t worry, I still have plenty of choices :blush:

I’ve been using lite salt to get potassium. I’m wondering now if I should use less of that and add in more regular salt.

(Sascha Heid) #70

My experience upping salt-intake have been very positive but a big friend of mine had an increase of his blood pressure of 40 points (!) after only 1 day.
Has anyone else seen such a dramatic rise in blood-pressure?

I’ve been adding lite salt to my water and putting pink salt directly on my tongue a few times a day and on all of my food. That seems to work well for me. The advantage to mixing in quality salts is you get a lot of trace minerals you might not otherwise get.

Did you read The Salt Fix? He discusses how some people are sensitive to increased sodium. It’s not super common and I’m not a doctor but there is information out there on the topic. That big of an increase is probably something I would monitor closely if it were me.

(Stacie Kouskouris) #73

I have always craved salt but never trusted my body enough to listen. I have read the book and listened to the podcast twice! Great info. It just makes me so incredibly ANGRY as a health care provider that the low salt dogma is doing more harm to our aging, metabolically ill patients. I’m trying to live by example now and pay it forward through educating other healthcare providers to just do their own research and never stop pushing the needle towards the truth.

(carl) #74

Was your friend eating carbs?

(Sascha Heid) #75

He was fasting, but only on day 2.
He is neither an experienced faster nor doing keto because he always gets dizzy.
He is currently trying to do IF for the first time while limiting carbs and its looking pretty good.
His bp returned to normal after he quit the extra salt.
He might have overdone the salt, he took several teaspoons a day.

(Ellie Baum) #76

Something random to add to this…

My parents recently when on a trip to Romania. They mentioned these salt mines. And if you’re sick, it was recommended that you should go in this salt mine to feel better. I’m just curious to know the science behind something like this.

Here is an article about the idea: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/dec/03/ukraine.tomparfitt . Although I admit that I only skimmed it.

Any one have any ideas as to why this is so beneficial? I thought it was interesting after hearing this podcast.

(Becky) #77

I love salt in my coffee! It seems to smooth out any bitterness and highlight the wonderful flavors of the coffee.

(Youssef Shahin) #78

100% agree, I love the salted caramel flavour.
Coffee + Sweeter + Salt gave me the fix I was always looking for.

Thanks Guys

(Nick) #79

If you’d like to hear James dive into more detail on this topic, he was interviewed by Mike Mutzel on the fantastic Youtube channel High Intensity Health:

[52:51]

(Lots of other fascinating interviews on that channel, too!)

(Tim) #80

Does anyone have a time-stamp for the conversation about Coffee and Salt depletion?

I remember they touch on it somewhere in this episode, just trying to get an accurate number for how much salt a single cup of coffee can take with it on the way out of your kidneys.

I’m starting the episode again from the beginning. Will update this post with a time-stamp when I run across it.

EDIT: Found it. Episode 71 - ‘The Salt Fix’ Conversation regarding Coffee and Salt starts around 23:50 and continues until 24:20. Conversation about Salt and Kidney Function continues thereafter. Great episode!