Episode #71 - The Salt Fix

(johnp71) #41

In the podcast the issue of water retention was mentioned as a myth regarding salt intake but I don’t really understand why it’s a myth. Can someone fill me in?

(Nathanael Schulte) #42

It’s covered in the book - basically, when your body has enough or more than enough salt, it will dump any extra salt and water. It’s actually when you’re low in sodium that your body starts retaining water and driving up blood pressure more often.
At least that’s how I understood it.

(Dan n Tabitha ) #43

Great episode dudes. I’m on a 5 day extended fast (option for 7) and this one tip has helped me out big time. Great information gentlemen, keep up the great work. Thank you.

(Laura) #44

I have a couple different kinds too…

(Jim Russell) #45

This was a great episode. I was always pretty skeptical of the salt restriction thing. It always seemed to me that salt seems to be pretty self-regulating, at least in relatively non-processed foods cooked at home. Too much salt makes food taste too salty, not enough makes it bland. Although the higher requirements of keto and fasting seem to throw things off a little bit. I can’t imagine needing to put salt directly on my tongue under most circumstances. :slight_smile:

The book is great if you have time to check it out. To think there is some pretty sound science linking lack of salt intake to insulin resistance is incredible. The gist: if you don’t have enough sodium intake your body will secrete excess insulin to increase water retention and thus preserve the sodium in your system. Elevated insulin in turn makes cells insulin resistant. Insulin resistant cells equals…well I think we all know what insulin resistance means. Because keto causes a drop in insulin, water retention is also decreased and thus excess salt must be added. Something well known around here.

I highly recommend the book (or audiobook in my case) as it teaches a lot of things pertaining to keto but from different angles. If anything it will make you feel more at ease consuming 10-15 grams of salt daily like I have been lately.

(johnp71) #47

I too just started reading the book and am amazed by what I’m learning. I make ketoade using lite salt and magnesium citrate and I’m realizing I’m still not getting enough salt!! I’ve seen recipes that include pink Himalayan salt and I’m going to switch to it today.

The fact that insulin resistance is increased with a low salt diet is particularly fascinating. My son is doing keto with me but has majorly struggled to lose weight. He won’t drink my ketoade (too salty he says!) and never salts his food. I’m convinced it’s his lack of salt intake. He’s 15 and stubborn, but I’m going to make him read it for himself.

Have him try putting salt directly on his tongue, it’s not fun at first but you get used to it and it really helps. The type of salt helps too, I like the pink or celtic types. I know for me upping my salt intake has helped me feel 100 times better and seems to have helped me break through a plateau. The best part about a plateau on keto is that I’m eating steak and butter so I’m perfectly content with what I’m eating regardless of weight loss. Might go a month or two and feel like I’ve hit a plateau but I’m still eating the best kinds of food there is so it’s easy to keep pushing forward.

(johnp71) #49

I’ve been in a plateau as well for about 3 months so I’m definitely eager to see if upping my salt helps break through!

(Allie) #50

I think I need to get the book… when I’ve finished my current reading list :blush:

I’ve been reading “The Fasting Cure” by Upton Sinclair also. I’m thinking an extended fast is in my near future. By most accounts that’s the way to bust a plateau and keep moving forward. The trouble now is finding a weekend that isn’t jam-packed with social commitments. If you have any sudden breakthroughs keep us posted.

(Nathanael Schulte) #52

Yes, that fact blew my mind. And now I have first hand evidence to support it because my never-ending appetite suddenly corrected itself this week. I found I could eat a big meal and really wasn’t hungry all day, which is a bit rare for me. If I recall, continually elevated insulin can cause hunger as well.

(johnp71) #53

So how much salt do you find yourself consuming now? I realize everyone is different… I think my new goal will be 6 grams per day. I figure I’ll try that for a week and see how I feel.

(Nathanael Schulte) #54

I think I’m roughly at 3-4tsp per day, but I’m not measuring carefully. Not sure where that converts in grams.

(Nathanael Schulte) #55

I pretty much go by feel based on the idea that your body will dump any excess. I’m not feeling like I necessarily need as much at this point so I will probably be rolling back a bit.

Make sure you aren’t confusing grams of salt with grams of sodium. According The Salt Fix you need around 3-4 grams of sodium per day, more if you are low carbs (more under several circumstances actually). 10 grams of pink salt from Costco would give you 4,200mg (4.2 grams) of sodium for example. That would translate to 2-1/2 teaspoons. And that’s just the amount needed by humans on average according the book. What seems to works for me? 12+ grams of pink salt per day. Like Nathanael said, 3-4 tsp seems ideal. It seems excessive at first but we eat real food now so the hidden salt is nearly gone, and the hidden salt in carbage is abundant as you know.

Lately, I just add some salt or lite salt to all the water I drink, put salt on my tongue as I feel the need and salt my food heavily when I can. That helps me a lot. This might sound really strange but I find water with lite salt added tastes almost exactly like skim milk. Weird I know but I’d be curious to know if I’m the only one.

(johnp71) #57

Thank you for clarifying! I’m still trying to wrap my head around all the sodium my body needs and figuring out how to get it all into my everyday life. I usually don’t eat breakfast, just drinking decaf coffee with heavy cream in the morning, then salads with protein the rest of the day. I liberally salt my food, and drink about a gallon of ketoade per day.

(Allie) #58

I think each of my caps is about half a teaspoon and I’ve been having three a day which has helped a lot with energy / recovery (even before the podcast ass I’ve been doing this for a couple of months now), but may try increasing.

(johnp71) #59

I’ve altered my ketoade recipe and now with 4 24oz bottles I’m getting 3.5 grams of sodium per day. This does not include the salt I use on my food. Can’t wait to see how I’m doing in a week.

(Nick) #60

I was interested in the talk about iodine. In some countries, iodine deficiency has been improved (solved?) through the use of iodized table salt, but they don’t do it in the UK, where I live.

I do regularly eat eggs, cheese, and a little milk (in my tea), but I’m not sure that’s giving me enough. White fish is meant to be a good source, but I don’t eat that often enough. Thanks to @richard—I think—for mentioning seawood as another source - it seems my local supermarket stocks it, so I will have to give it a go.