Episode #71 - The Salt Fix

(Nathanael Schulte) #21

Oh, and I ordered the book on my Kindle and started reading right away too. Great stuff!

(ianrobo) #22

very good episode and always interested in this subject since Steve Phinney replied to me about salt for exercise, now I eat as much as possible, last BP 125/87

(Ryan Lindsey) #23

Despite being an avid listener of the You Are Not So Smart podcast, I hadnā€™t heard of this one yet - thatā€™s awesome!

Thatā€™s similar to people that point out that a news organization seeking extreme opposing views in order to achieve ā€œbalanceā€ for a discussion panel isnā€™t really correct, or necessary.

Or the whole ā€œin diet, moderation is bestā€ claptrap.

@Nathanael_Schulte did you dilute in coffee or water at any point or straight on the tongue each time?

(Laura) #25

No nightmares. So I guess I am good.

(Nathanael Schulte) #26

Straight on the tongue every time. I find the pink salt is much more tolerable for longer.

(Sheri Knauer) #27

Awesome episode. Iā€™m having a shirt made that says ā€œDonā€™t blame salt for what sugar didā€. Iā€™ve been doing the salt in the tongue for almost 2 months since hearing Megan Ramos mention it on one of the fasting talk podcasts.

I hear ya. You gotta draw the line somewhere. I just started his book and it seems like something he will cover in more depth but I havenā€™t gotten there. Ultimately, I think the general consensus is just to try for something a little better than regular table salt.

(Jim) #29

Just did my second 24 hour fast and when I stared feeling lousy I put one rock of pink salt in my mouth and sucked on it till it was gone, and I felt better after

(KCKO, KCFO) #30

I thought I had lost my fasting mojo, I had started several over the last 10 days but 24 hrs. was as long as I was going. After listening to Carl explain using the 1/4 teaspoon of salt, I started another and it is going well. I have been doing more or less 1/4 teaspoon of pink Himalayan salt about every two hours. I have even been looking for some recipes for an upcoming trip and nope, I have no desire to eat anything, as I am fasting. Previously I would be eating some nuts about now. So new behavior pattern for me :laughing:

Let us know if you continue to get a good result with the salt add in.

(Nathanael Schulte) #31

Today is coming to the end of day 2, and Iā€™m easing myself in to it - coffee with some extra cream, and a couple bites of bacon both days, but I usually at least deal with headaches by this time. For the first time ever, I feel nothing worse than a little tired in the limbs when I took the kids for a walk today.
For real, all the extra salt is a game changer.

(carl) #32

Gave you a shout out on next weekā€™s show. Go fast yourself!! :slight_smile:

(Nathanael Schulte) #33

Rock on!

(Laura) #34

I received my Redmond salt yesterday and as far as taste itā€™s no different than the pink salt. Itā€™s has fewer minerals in it than Himmalayn Salt. It is less expensive so thats good.

But the one big thing is that there is less chance of their being plastic, which is a real issue, and other pollutants in it.

So since price is really important to me I will go with the Redmond.

(Shawn Cochran) #35

Loved this episode. I had always heard to increase salt when keto as you drop a lot of water, but this episode went into the details and was very informative. Mind blown! Will definitely add more salt to my foods. I typically add Eleyte electrolytes to my water but will up my intake anyway. Watching the Big Fat Truth right now. Talk about lets make this all about emotion and then eating only plants. While I will say its better than a high carb diet filled with refined sugars/carbohydrates, its still missing the protein aspect.

(Nathanael Schulte) #36

Alright, I broke the fast early last night. The orig. I was just exhausted from diarrhea that morning - I felt the beginnings of some down mood, so I took 2Tbsp of KetoMCT oil and spent all morning in the bathroom. I never really recovered :frowning: . So I had a massive dinner, felt better, though still tired, and Iā€™m playing it by ear today. Either way, Iā€™ll be back to it on Sunday.
But the coolest thing is Iā€™ve never had even close to this high a reading on my Ketonix:

I still feel a bit tired, but I also still feel clear headed and I still think the salt helped ALOT. I definitely will NOT be supplementing any MCT oil next time I fast.

(Jennifer) #37

Amazon now thinks Iā€™m crazy - just ordered 6 different saltsā€¦

(Jennifer) #38

Maybe a bit too much MCT oil at one time. I have done a spoonful of coconut oil or a few olives when Iā€™m fasting and it didnā€™t go right through me. But I guess YMMVā€¦

(Jennifer) #39

Just something to think about - too much salt will cause a GI cleanse if you get my drift. Especially if magnesium is also taken. Just like vitamin C can if you take too much.

At least you will know when you are at your limitā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Nathanael Schulte) #40

Yeah, they definitely could have been working together, and they were working hard :slight_smile:
Ever seen Dumb & Dumber? Remember that bathroom scene with Jeff Daniels?
I saw that movie in theaters and then saw him in Gettysburg about a year later. Guess which role sticks in my head still?