Episode 52 - Weight Loss Surgery Stories

(Gracie) #41

Thank you for sharing your story - I’m so grateful!
I had gastric bypass in 2008 and regained some of the weight. I just started Keto and intermittent fasting 3 weeks ago, and I have already lost 18 lbs. I am loving it. But in the back of my head I had these nagging doubts that perhaps a WLS patient should not be doing this. I was worried cuz I have a terrible taste in my mouth often and my tongue gets kinda yellow. I’m assuming that is a sign of ketosis? Did you experience that?
But now you have given me GREAT HOPE! I am now confident this is doable for someone who’s had WLS! Thanks again! I am re-inspired to continue with this lifestyle change.

(Meeping up the Science!) #42

In my WLS support group, all of the RNY/gastric bypass patients follow a ketogenic diet. Many actually do intermittent zero carb and eat high fat. So, you definitely can do it :slight_smile:

(Gracie) #43

Thank you! How can I find out more about your support group? :slight_smile:

(Meeping up the Science!) #44

One of mine is in person, but I have many good friends I made on the Obesity Help website. They are, uh, pretty direct, but good people. Many keto folks too, actually, though they do the modified bariatric version!

Hey, maybe we should start a keto bariatric page there? Maybe!

(Susan Chambers) #45

Hi Sibyl, I too have had the RNY 3 years ago, been very successful, have lost 100kg and want to lose another 40kg but I’ve been stalled all this year despite exercising and sticking to my LCHF diet. Would you mind sharing what you eat on a daily basis, considering you still have quite a bit of restriction with your RNY? I’d truly appreciate it. Hope your Keto journey is going well.
Kind regards,
Sue

(Jackson Grey) #46

I am currently in the process of my weight loss journey. I have been really working hard to lose all the wight that I have and transform myself. I have had an amazing support system throughout all this work. I remember when I was helping my sister to go through something similar. She wasn’t heavy but around the age of 13 she came out to my parents as transgender and wanted to start a sex change process. It was hard for my parents at first but we supported her through all this time. We helped her get through it and when she was ready we helped her find a good doctor we found the best clinic i the area (well according tot he reviews. I am actually consulting a nutritionist there for my weight loss). If you guys are interested in a type of cosmetic surgery you can check their website here: https://www.cosmeticsurgeryforyou.com/ftm-top-surgery-bellvue-kirkland-lynnwood/ I am really hopeful that everything will go well as long as I keep working really hard. Wish me luck

(UsedToBeT2D) #47

I love your story. It is motivating to me to stick with Keto too. Thank you.