Episode 52 - Weight Loss Surgery Stories

(Ann ) #21

Thank you for the support, I’m like a nomad who’s found a home!

Best,
-Ann Narcisse

(Sibyl ) #22

I’m 3+ years out from gastric bypass (RNY) and find that keto is THE way for me to maintain. I did low carb/ keto prior to surgery to keep my diabetes in check, but the weight was stubbornly remaining. I also had a good response to Byetta (a GLP-1 agonist, iirc), and saw that RNY hormonally affected the GLP-1 mechanism.

I originally wanted to get the sleeve, but after my pre-op endoscopy my surgeon refused to do it on me due to my GERD.

I don’t see as many RNY post-ops doing keto but wanted to chime in to let folks know it’s possible.

(Ashley Haddock) #23

I just finished the episode and I have to say that you gals did an amazing job telling your stories. It really touched me and let me have some insight on weight loss surgery. I was over 400 lbs and had briefly looked at surgery possibilities but was too scared to do it. This is an episode I’ll definitely listen to again.

(Also, wondering if Kick Ass Keto Bitches is accepting members, @Daisy? If it’s private, I totally understand. :slight_smile: )

(Meeping up the Science!) #24

You are lucky he didn’t. A lot of sleevers do not have surgeons as ethical and they have suffered for it.

A lot of RNY post-ops on the WLS forums I frequent do very low carb, if not keto (minimal differences in terminology, in some cases). It works VERY well with the RNY, especially.

(Meeping up the Science!) #25

@KetoRestartAnn you absolutely can do keto with a gastric bypass and no gallbladder! You must just learn and get to know your body. You still can digest fat, you just must pace it carefully at first to acclimate. I would not eat primarily fat at first. Gradually add more and see how it goes. Fasting may be tricky. Of course, we are still more efficient post-op than people dieting after fat adaptation. Our altered anatomy does give us an edge, however slight. Still, I also know many RNY patients that do intermittent fasting, if not monthly extended fasts, too. Just go very slowly and don’t rush. You will probably feel 100x better, too, actually.

Many RNY/bypass patients do keto post-op, and many DS patients do keto post-op. They may call it “low carb” or “very low carb,” however they are basically eating a ketogenic diet, too.

There is an enormous community of bariatric patients who do low carb/keto. It’s unfortunate that most of the low carb/keto celebrities ignore us, because we are a huge demographic. There are over 200,000 surgeries a year alone in the US. Just think of what good it would accomplish to target this audience both pre and post-op.

Of course. Go here and I’ll let you in!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/kickarseketob1tches/?ref=bookmarks

and just think how many revision surgeries would become redundant!

(Meeping up the Science!) #28

Think twice and cut once, or not at all. Surgery should always be spared whenever possible for any reason!

Revisions, ugh. Revisions can be technically difficult and very dangerous, in some cases. I wonder how many revisions there are per year? Curious now.

(Ashley Haddock) #29

Thanks!

Wow, that’s quite a story. Well done for getting through all those ordeals. I have seen a few people put on weight in cancer recovery - like you say, it is the steroids. You might find that the sleeve starts helping you out a bit again now. I find it such a great partner to keto. I forgot to mention one of my many band phases that I called the soup and chocolate diet! I too had to resort to liquids so soup. And the chocolate made me feel better. At least I though it it did!

Thanks for sharing your story and keep up the good work. x

(Deb) #31

Daisy, Thanks for your story as well !!! I found myself commiserating with your story. I am doing better with the sleeve and certainly much further along in my weight loss journey due to its assistance. I’m enjoying my keto WOE. I’m very much in the infancy and still testing what works for me and doesn’t. So far, so good. Thanks for your encouragement, I feel like I’ve finally arrived!!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #32

THIS is quickly becoming my favorite forum thread :heart:
I love how everyone supports each other…

(Sibyl ) #33

@KetoRestartAnn I also had an RNY, and have no gallbladder. I don’t do keto any differently than I did pre-surgery- other than portion sizes. What I have found is that I can eat high fat, no problem. The only thing I have noticed is that if I am eating out I can sometimes have “issues” - and I always suspect it’s due to the cheap restaurant vegetable oils.

Intermittent fasting - haven’t done a lot, but have done some 16 hours fasts with no problem.

So I haven’t seen many downsides to doing keto, and have enjoyed the benefits of avoiding reactive hypoglycemia, the outstanding appetite control, and keeping the weight off. My diabetes 100% in remission as long as I stay keto as well.

Hope that helps!

I loved this episode! I started investigating getting a gastric sleeve because you guys made it sound so wonderful. It was great hearing everyone’s stories.

(Ann ) #35

Thank you! I’ve found that everything you say has been accurate in my case. I’m the worst outcome is that I cannot tolerate MCT oil.

(kimhowerton) #36

I got sooo much out of listening to this podcast.

I really enjoyed listening to this podcast. So much good info and encouraging stories.

I just had WLS after trying just about everything for years. I did LC and didn’t lose - even when my husband did, so we decided after years of trying that WLS was the last thing to try. He has since decided to move to a Keto diet from the LC so my question to those of you who have done the WLS is when were you able to move to a Keto diet after surgery? The diets that the nutritionists have you do are low fat and low carb - when were you able to change to a high fat? I’ve had others tell me that their nutritionists tell them that a Keto diet is bad for WLS patients as it’s high fat, and others say there is no need as you are doing protein first anyway and the fat isn’t needed.

Which type of surgery have you had?

As far as eating keto - straight away IMO! You have to abide by the consistency thing for a while to not put pressure on your stomach but can’t see any other issue. @Donna @LouiseReynolds do you agree?

The only reason I didn’t straight away was that I was doing what the surgeon told me to do rather than what was sensible! A now friend got me on the LCHF path. I am sure my surgeon and dietician would be horrified by what I eat but they can go jump!

Yes, it is important to get the protein you need in over the day but the best thing you can do is make that fatty protein. It might be pretty well all you can manage to start with depending which op you have. Please do tag me or message me if you need any help, support, info. Good luck. xxx

I had the sleeve. Thanks for the input. :slight_smile:

(Meeping up the Science!) #40

I waited to do high fat until six months out. Honestly, you can eat full fat food as soon as you can tolerate it. How far are you out? I always used full fat options 2 months after surgery.

As for adding fat, I didn’t do that until later, but typically I already make high fat choices and don’t worry too much. I would focus as Daisy said into not putting stress on your stomach. Just make sure to introduce foods one at a time that are new, so you are aware of any intolerances you have have developed since surgery.