Electrolytes

(zee) #1

Can i use the crystal light 5 calorie packet with water to improve my electrolyte. I start almost 5 days ago and i am seeing affects of headache, fatigue. Also what comprises of electrolytes. I know sodium is one but what else. And what other stuff i can take that is not pill that can help replenish electrolytes in my body.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #2

Can you? Sure. But you’ll want to test your blood glucose to make sure the sweetener used doesn’t have a deleterious effect for you.

The main ones I take are Calcium, Magnesium (important for preventing cramps, and also helps with brain signalling), Potassium, and Sodium.

Some folks on the forum recommend Morton lite salt, which provides both sodium and potassium. Almost any of the supplements you might want are available in powder form, so if you prefer mixing up a drink instead of taking pills, that’s an option. Search Amazon for “bulk [supplement name]” and you should find options.

(Jennie) #3

I needed some hard guidelines on electrolytes because I struggled with headaches and muscle cramps at first. I have stolen these numbers from another keto forum, which I hope is ok.

5000 mg sodium
1000 mg potassium
300 mg magnesium

You can eat them in foods, and that’s great. But when you’ve got a raging headache, trying to think of what foods have what is tricky. I use “Lite Salt” by Morton because by taking out some sodium they replaced it with potassium. You get two of the three and it’s cheap. I use a sea salt (because I tell myself it’s healthy) as a sodium and take magnesium pills for that supplement. I know there’s been lots of talk about exactly which magnesium is best, ie, which is most readily absorbed.
If all else fails, I make a salty cup of water and pound it. Not favorite, but I’m shocked at how much better I feel when I stay on top of it.

(I like to post memes!) #4

Dude, have you tried broth?

(Guardian of the bacon) #5

@Brenda has talked about a liquid Magnesium she gets at a local pharmacy. She also has a recipe for a “ketoaid”

Perhaps since I tagged her she’ll grace us with her presence.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #6

Broth is good, but it’s not just electrolytes. Depending on the type of broth, there may be collagen and other protein sources, so be sure to include that in figuring out how much protein intake you want. May also have an impact on insulin, so if you’re fasting, that may be a time to hold off on the broth and just do ketoaid or similar (depends on your goals in fasting).

(Guardian of the bacon) #7

@Brenda Ketoaide recipe

KetoAide
calorie free electrolyte water
24 oz filtered water(or tap water)
1/8 teaspoon Maldon Sea salt
1/2 Tablespoon magnesium citrate
Mix well. Refrigerate for best taste.
Magnesium citrate is sold at most drug stores in three flavors, lemon lime, grape, and cherry. It adds a slight flavor to the Ketoaide. It is inexpensive at $1 per 10 oz bottle.

Each bottle of KetoAide provides
265 mg sodium

75 mg magnesium
I take calcium citrate tablets too, which also help prevent muscle cramps.

Easy snacks to pack for a weekend away!
(Mark) #8

Most stores carry electrolyte water,I’m drinking some right now

(Becky Searls) #9

I have found that especially while fasting, it’s important to have some electrolytes to avoid feeling yucky (I work out daily, sometimes 2x a day, so that is also part of it). I’ve just been buying off brand smart water…but that adds up at ~$1/bottle. Is there a legitimate, zero or low carb electrolyte powder or something that I can purchase and add to my own filtered water at home? (preferably no taste or AWESOME taste lol…I like grape…is that keto aide stuff above legit? Is it a powder or same issue as my smart water and pricey pay by the bottle situation?)
Thanks in advance! Please link anything you know of!

(Becky Searls) #10

PS I do bone broth too! Usually with kinda a lot of pink himalayan sea salt :slight_smile:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #11

It’s a homemade recipe. Inexpensive and works GREAT

(Becky Searls) #12

Finally made it! Very easy and palatable, thanks so much! @Brenda and @jfricke :heart:

(Becky Searls) #15

So…I got the magnesium citrate liquid stuff

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #16

You’re doing it right.

@Brenda - I did a little googling and the magnesium in salt is to help the salt flow and not cake or clump. Morton’s slogan “when it rains it pours” (or something like that) is a reference to their salt flowing well in high humidity.

I know you were just dying to know, so there you go :wink:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #18

Oh man. You no doubt saved my life here. :wink: But thanks @Allison :sunny:
Lol

(Becky Searls) #19

FYI An electrolyte update: I recently heard about this jigsaw electrolyte stuff on another keto podcast and I looked it up and found it for a bit cheaper in Amazon with prime so decided to give it a whirl:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01GF4TGIQ/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’m surprised by how tasty and not weird it is! I also am, as hoped for, sleeping through the night better now. Apparently that magnesium supplementation is no joke! It IS sweetened with some erithritol (sp?) and monk fruit extract which I’m not super crazy about…but overall seems very worth it and was so excited they have little packets I can travel with! I would have paid a LOT for this product last month when I was so sick in Cusco, Peru!

(Eve) #20

It’s taken me a while to work out my electrolytes. I kept getting advice and using it to tweak what I was already doing. So I went through the headaches and waking up all night with horrific cramps. And even disaster pants from too much magnesium at once.

What I do now seems to be working for me. I sleep well, and no more headaches. What I do is take a teaspoon and a half of salt, a quarter teaspoon of no salt, and two caplets of magnesium Malays and mix it all together. Then I split it up between my water bottles and add Mio or whatever I have to flavor it since I can’t drink salty water straight. If I feel like I need a little more salt I’ll drink some broth or eat a pickle. If I need more mag I’ll just take an extra caplet. I can feel when I need it. Or at least I think I can. Seems to be working so far.

I’ve used this and I liked it, but have since experimented with homemade versions since I seem to need way more sodium than it provides.

However, that being said, I intend to try it again and just add salt since I like all the electrolytes they already include and it gives me some additional variety.

(Becky Searls) #22

What do you think of the sweeteners? Ok or concerning?