Electrolytes

The sweeteners at this time in the Jigsaw Electrolyte Supreme are erythritol, stevia and monk fruit extract and in general, anecdotally-speaking, so far people who reject erythritol and/or stevia do so because of taste and not because of an insulin response so in the quantities per serving they’re not likely to be an issue (there are certainly exceptions).

I personally like an erythritol/stevia blend. I have less experience with monk fruit extract, but if I recall correctly it is one that Maria Emmerich recommends, so it’s probably okay.

That being said, everyone has a different response to sweeteners because part of it has to do with the cephalic release of insulin which is more of a conditioned/learned response and less about biology, so they could trigger an insulin response as well as cravings.

Personally I didn’t have this trigger cravings in me which is why I would consider using it for variety over drinking salted ACV water or the Keto-ade mentioned elsewhere in these forums. …I just get bored drinking the same thing over and over again.

(Becky Searls) #24

Thanks! I think my worry is the possible cravings trigger…I’m kind of watching to see if that happens for me!

(Megan) #25

I bought this from Walgreens but I was worried about the sugar content. It was a little over $2.

Is this okay to use?

I just checked mine and it also has “sucrose” as the last inactive ingredient and I didn’t realize that.

Given the small quantities that are used it’s probably okay, but I’m going to pay more attention to it and might even do a blood glucose tolerance test just to be sure.

(Megan) #27

Let me know if you do! I knew when I bought it, but it doesn’t tell you the actual amount (so frustrating). It tastes super sweet.

(Brittany Mullen) #29

Has anyone tried Utah Sea Minerals? Its a liquid, no sugar or sugar subs either.

(Victoria Mc Coy) #30

Newbie here: Are there enough electrolytes in SmartWater, Fiji Water, or Vitamin Water Zero to do the job for 2-3 day EF?

(Vicki Kron) #31

Great question. I hope someone answers it because I, also Victoria (Vicki) am interested in the answer too.

(Rob) #32

Almost certainly NOT. They are no better than trace amounts from what I’ve been able to unearth (they are pretty cagey about volumes so one can assume it’s bugger all).

For example, Kiwi Strawberry VWZero has 1% of your Mg, No Ca, etc… none of the others have much of any value either e.g. Superfood Acai Pomegranate has 2% of Mg RDA
SW and VW are both made by Coke (under the Glaceau sub brand to make you ignore the Evil Empire :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

You may well do fine without any supplementation for just 2-3 days but why risk it? There are commercial electrolyte things with lots of Na/Mg/Ca and much more (e.g. Zipfizz) but a lot would say they are too artificial. I am using up some old tubes of this stuff on a fast and they seem to work but I won’t replace them when done.

(Trish) #33

I did just read, per Dr. Fung, that even on extended fasts test subjects had no noteworthy drop in electrolytes over the duration of the fast. Included was a graphic. I will see if I can find and post the info, just not sure how to transfer data from my ereader.

(Trish) #34

on the previous page it states “electlytes remain stable during extended fasting.”

(Dawn) #35

Hi GUys, any opinions on just taking a Keto Vitamin with Mag and Potassium included?

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #36

I read somewhere that magnesium can be a preventive for headaches (in addition to its many other virtues), perhaps because of its tendency to relax blood vessels. Migraines too, possibly.

I did notice when I started to take mg supplements regularly, my frequency of headaches reduced. I’m not sure if a supplement helps once the headache takes hold though. If possible, when that happens, I take a bath in Epsom Salts (mg sulphate) and that often helps.

(Ann) #37

I buy the little packets of pedialite which works, I also take a potassium and magnesium pill and multi vitamin every day…otherwise I get cramps in my jaw, legs and hands.

(5c1cf0eb1e7206d5e26a) #38

I hate to say this but I am totally confused by all this keto aide / electrolytes info…just can’t get my head around it all, have read numerous blogs and recipes and comments on this forum but none the wiser…I’m sure I will get that aha moment…:rofl:

(Edith) #39

Well, you want about 5 grams of sodium a day. That’s a little over two teaspoons of salt. That number can go up for higher activity and just sweating more in the summer heat.

Magnesium is about 400 mg a day. It’s comes in different forms. The ones that are less bio available can cause the runs if taken in too large a quantity. I take magnesium glycinate and my body seems to handle it just fine.

Potassium is a little trickier. It is found in many foods but it is difficult for me to know how much I’m getting because potassium is not tracked very well by My Fitness Pal. So, to be on the safe side, I take about 600mg of potassium supplement a day. I figure it’s enough to possibly make up what I might not be getting through my food, but not enough to overdose.

Salt is really the key. Getting enough salt keeps your body from wasting potassium.

A few months ago, I thought, “I’ve been keto for a while, I don’t need to supplement the salt any more. I bet I’m getting enough with my food.”
Boy, was I wrong! My whole body started aching, I was getting terrible cramps at night, not just in my calves but in my hamstrings as well. It was awful. As soon as I started getting enough salt, the pain and cramping were gone.

For me salt was the key. I always know I didn’t get enough for the day if my calves cramp at night.

I hope this help clarifies things.

(Nina) #40

What kind of magnesium supplements do you take? I’m currently struggling with massive headaches every night. I’ve tried bringing bai drinks, smart water, salt in the morning/ at night but nothing works.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #41

@Brenda I saw a formulation that used epsom salt as the magnesium source, is that okay nutritionally? If so do you know the mix ratio?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #42

Sorry I do not even know if this is safe to ingest. I have used it topically as a spray for the skin or as a bath. that is all.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #43

It’s completely safe, old school laxative. The formula had 5g. of epsom salt to a lot of regular salt and some lite salt. My son’s autism Dr, who’s keto supportive just recommended it recently to his mom, but she’s unavailable now camping. I’ll track it down. This is close to what I saw before,

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/should-i-be-taking-a-multi-vitamin/87828/22

Maybe I’ll try this. I just got a kg. of potassium chloride from Amazon for $16

BulkSupplements Potassium Chloride Powder (1 Kilogram) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ENS39XK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_q5reDbPY7MZ0Q

Lifetime supply cheaper than little grocery store packages. :cowboy_hat_face: