Electrolyte drink mix and tattoo questions

(Jessica Lavoy) #1

Hi sorry I still don’t have the hang of how to use this forum. I’m trying to look for information that’s probably already here but I can’t find it and I’m not sure if I’m posting this in the right area LOL anyways I am not quite two weeks into this and my tattoo day is right around the corner so I have two separate questions.
first I want to know if there is an electrolyte drink mix or tablet out there that I can use for my water that is affordable because everything I’m finding online is 40 bucks and I just can’t afford that. I see these nuun electrolyte tablets but they have dextrose and I’m thinking that’s probably not the best idea.
Second is regarding the tattoo. I have had blood sugar issues my whole life because I have PCOS and I’ve recently had to come off the metformin which helped to stabilize me due to other medical issues. so normally my tattoo artist would have me eat a sugary snack before I come in and bring something with me to help keep my blood sugar levels up during the tattoo so I don’t pass out. but obviously that is not an option now and he doesn’t have any experience with keto and I basically don’t either so I’m wondering how to approach it this time around. This won’t be my last tattoo or piercing for that matter and I’d like to know how to deal with it. The pain doesn’t get to me at all. but the anxiety of being out in public and close to people and having to interact with people absolutely gets me feeling woozy and lightheaded. Thank you guys

(Lonnie Hedley) #2

I don’t have tattoos, so I can’t advise on how to manage the anxiety. Maybe fat bombs. Or some nuts (macadamia, pecan, or almond).

(Jessica Lavoy) #3

I keep hearing about lite salt I’ll have to look into it. I was hoping to find something that was one of those all-in-one drink mixes that you see. I have two little kids at home and my life is kind of crazy busy non stop go that would be easy to be able just throw little powder and a bottle shake it up and go. I’m going to go Google about the lite salt now thank you

(karen) #4

I was thinking the same thing as @hedleylo : nuts. If you’re fat adapted the blood sugar shouldn’t be an issue, but you could probably pack a keto snack that would calm/distract you and hopefully make your tattoo artist less anxious about you as well. (maybe sugar free candy and just don’t say anything?)

(Jessica Lavoy) #5

How do I know if I’m fat adapted?

(Lonnie Hedley) #6

Found in the salt section at your local grocer. I only supplement magnesium. Otherwise I heavily salt my food, and don’t worry so much about potassium since you can get a fairly sizable amount from beef.

(Lonnie Hedley) #7

At 2 weeks, you aren’t. There is no way to really tell, but consensus is that if you can skip a meal, or easily do a 24 hour fast you’re well on your way.

(karen) #8

If you’re two weeks in you’re probably not totally fat adapted - in other words, your body would still prefer to burn carbs, given the choice. How long can you go between meals without feeling super hungry?

(Lonnie Hedley) #9

Stop repeating me. :joy::rofl:

(karen) #10

Lol. Nice abs. Is that a keto side effect?

(Lonnie Hedley) #11

I sit on an exercise ball at work. They might be from that? :grin:

(karen) #12

:grin: I do a lot of sitting too. Why don’t I have abs like yours? :laughing:

(Lonnie Hedley) #13

This is my abs routine when I work out. However I haven’t worked out in months, so either it’s the exercise ball or ZC that is helping me maintain.

(Jessica Lavoy) #14

About 4 hours maybe, most of my life I do small meal/snacks every couple hours to keep my blood sugar levels stabilize so my body is used to eating very frequently

(Diane) #15

Did you look at Zipfizz (FYI- contains caffeine). That’s what my sisters use. Or was that one of the ones that was way too expensive? I believe the best price would be at Costco if you’re in the states. I make my own, by far the most economical way to go for me. I saved a bunch of empty Powerade Zero bottles (it was pretty useless for electrolyte supplementation IMO) and I generally make up a whole bunch at a time.

Supplementing with MCT oil (also expensive) is good to supply ketones to your brain, especially while you’re transitioning off of carbs at the beginning. Don’t know if that might help with your tattooing issues…

I’ve been researching the use of a l- theanine as a natural supplement which can help with anxiety. I just ordered some, but it hasn’t arrived yet.

Good luck!

(Jessica Lavoy) #16

I don’t even think I have abs anymore I’m pretty sure the fat ate them a couple decades ago what may have been left over was probably consumed during pregnancy and childbirth :joy::joy::joy:

(Jessica Lavoy) #17

I keep hearing about that mct oil too and it is expensive but I think it’s also in coconut oil right I try to get a little bit of that everyday so hopefully that is good enough I’m going to look into that zippyfizz and the l theanine thank you :slight_smile:

(karen) #18

So I assume now you’re eating little keto snacks. That would probably be just fine at the parlor.

(Jessica Lavoy) #19

hopefully you guys can see these pictures I came across this what do you guys think about this as an electrolyte mix for adding into water? Vega sport vegan electrolyte hydrator

(Jessica Lavoy) #20

Yes I’ve started making my own beef jerky basically just beef with salt garlic and onion powder in the dehydrator, cheese sticks, celery with almond butter and coconut oil, pickles… still trying to figure out the easy healthy keto things to eat