Eggy bread

(Shona) #1

What can I add to keto bread to get rid of the eggy taste.i really can’t get used to it ?

(Failed) #2

Based on chaffles I’ve experimented with, add about 25 g shredded mozzarella cheese per egg and blend together with an immersion blender, then just follow the recipe as usual.

(Shona) #3

I’ll try that thanx

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #4

I too blend my mix - it renders it very ‘neutral’ and breadlike.

Try this, @Kittykatz:

For two chaffles, blend:

1 egg
1 tsp butter
2 tbsp grated mozzarella
Quarter of a tsp baking powder

Light, fluffy, not eggy nor cheesy!

Your thread title is what we Brits call the thing that’s called ‘French toast’ in US! I loved eggy bread as a kid!

There are various keto breads. I don’t think they all require whole eggs though we lose a lot of flavor if we skip yolks. Egg whites are pretty tasteless, I can’t even tell, just remember if I used water or egg whites in my recipes (that’s why I often substitute water with egg whites if the food in question isn’t rich enough in protein).
My keto bread has so much gluten and oily seeds and other things that the single egg doesn’t modify the taste too much, I guess. I can’t be sure, I eat eggs in everything and being eggy is great if it’s my food. A bread shouldn’t be too eggy though, it’s still good just not bread to me. Good egg yolks have a very strong flavor, it must be hard to get rid of it. I have a hard time with the subtle gluten flavor too. I typically put various stuff into my bread, from sesame to coconut flour, walnuts have a good change to make my bread better, I love walnuts. It’s not a generally good idea for everyone, of course.
I never tried cheese but it’s a good idea, I have Grana Padano at home, that’s flavorful. But if it’s a flavored bread, I might use various spices too… The hardest is some very plain bread that works with flavorful things but has no gluten taste or bitterness or anything else I dislike. I get the best results when I mix various “flours”, no one can get too “loud”. I keep experimenting but rarely as it’s so easy to live without bread, I did that for years. But it’s useful sometimes.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #6

When I make keto rolls I use this recipe - it contains 3 egg whites but I can’t taste the egg in them at all. Very breadlike, too!

Not made these since I discovered chaffles though!

(Failed) #7

Let me know how it works out, I’m another who doesn’t like the eggy taste.

You can also leave out a yolk or 2.

Tip for a really fluffy loaf: for every tsp of baking powder or baking soda called for, add a t of apple cider vinegar to the wet ingredients and combine well before adding to the dry ingredients. You can’t taste the acv, but the carbon dioxide bubbles generated by the interaction between the baking powder or baking soda and vinegar make the bread less dense.

My favorite keto bread recipe at the moment is

My modifications:
1/2 t xanthan gum
Reduce psyllium husk powder to 2 Tb
Substituted 6 T butter for the coconut oil
Reduced eggs to 3
Added 2 T apple cider vinegar.

Lol, that’s a lot of mods. I’ll post my recipe in a minute.

(Failed) #8

Almond Flour Bread Loaf Dark
Servings: 1 loaf or 3 mini loaves
Cook Time: 1 hr 15 mins (large loaf) or 23 mins (mini loaf pans)

Ingredients
2 Cups Blanched Almond Flour
1/2 tsp XANTHAN GUM
2 Tbsp Psyllium Husk Powder
1 1/4 Tbsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Uniodized salt
6 Tbsp Butter (Melted)
3 Large Eggs (beaten)
1/4 Cup Warm Water
2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar

Directions

1. Line the bottom of a 9x5 in loaf pan with parchment paper. If using 3 mini pans, oil them with olive oil instead of using parchment paper.
  2. Preheat oven to 350° F 176 C
  3. In a large bowl, stir together the almond flour, psyllium husk powder, baking powder, and salt.
  4. In a 2 cup measuring cup, melt the butter for 42 seconds in the microwave.
    Add the water and vinegar and mix well. Add to the dry ingredients and beat thoroughly.
  5. Beat the eggs in the empty measuring cup, then pour into mixing bowl.
  6. Once the eggs are mixed in, beat at high until well blended.
  7. Transfer the batter to the lined baking pan(s). Smooth/press the top evenly with wet hands or a wet spatula.
  8. Bake for 1hr 15 minutes for 1 loaf or 23 mins for 3 mini laves.
  9. Remove from pan, peel parchment paper from sides, let cool.

Wrap leftovers in parchment paper and store on the counter for a few days or fridge or freezer for longer storage.
This modified recipe is dry enough so that you do not have to keep it in the parchment paper, you can put it in a plastic bag the second day.

(Shona) #9

Wow lots of good ideas. I’ll try them all…one at a time of course The only thing I struggle with is no roll etc with a stew

(Shona) #10

Just took the keto buns out of the oven…taste awesome…thank you I am now keto for life