Eggtober Octstravaganza - 31 days of Healthy Protein Eating - Carnivore Challenge

eggs

(Karen) #21

@JJFiddle your tenderloin looked totally amazingly up my street and you are welcome here anytime :grin:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

I can cook again! I bought a knee scooter for the bum leg, and itā€™s very helpful being able to reach things in the kitchen.

Steak for lunch today. Fat and juicy, yum! Butter makes the best steak sauce.

I have a list of highly popular Hungarian dishes/items I never want to touch (never tried but they canā€™t be good according to my tastes). Like tripe stew, chicken feet (boiled in soup, made into stewā€¦ JUST zillion feet), I do like aspic but not the pig feet (we call it ā€œpig nailā€ but main thing is has about zero meat, my problems with all the examples though chicken feet are nasty beyond that) while many people happily gnaw on that partā€¦
Alvaro says kidney is horrible - if you smell it during cooking, otherwise it worksā€¦

The first little and thin piece of meat got ready at 16:15. I have found some super lean pork shoulder again. Well, part of it is leaner than green ham, other parts are fatty. I let Alvaro eat the leanest bites. It wasnā€™t a good idea to eat it as I got hungry and had to eat more chicken Vienna sausages and some quark (I ate the leanish pork with cream cheese).

Apropos cream cheese!!! I have found the elusive, best kind :smiley: Without herbs-onion-garlic but with fat :smiley: I am looking forward to eat it at some point. I like cream cheese but as most dairy items, it doesnā€™t taste good in a low-fat version and the planty one is too planty even for me and I donā€™t even have so much problem with plants. I enjoyed the first one but had enough of it for the second (that I bought because I couldnā€™t find a normal one). But only a tiny bit of it is left at this point.

Lamb can be only found in LIDL now as far as my knowledge goes and it is INSANELY pricy. I would rather buy twice as much deerā€¦ But one day I wish to buy some. I saw some Racka sheep today just like goats and Hungarian Grey cattle. There was info on a table where we was today, there was 23 million of Hungarian Grey around 1850 - and 100 years later it was only 200! But they came back and now they are somewhat popular again just like Mangalica. IDK if Racka ever was unpopular but they shouldnā€™t be, they are so tasty and pretty! I never ate Hungarian Grey yet but the beef farm have some so I probably will eventually but they look pretty and impressive. I was tired and napped after my meal and then forgot but photos will come eventuallyā€¦ Well I can bring one right nowā€¦
This one had an itch and scratched it with that dead bush thingā€¦ :wink:

You have an oink mug!!!
Nice wings as always :wink:

I wish I hadnā€™t spend several hours in the kitchen every dayā€¦ I really overdo it I know, I even read there and stuffā€¦ And I canā€™t avoid it if I go downstairs. I could spend a bit less time there though even though I manage to cook and bake, making drinks and do the dishes for a surspiringly time consuming mannerā€¦ I donā€™t even overcomplicate things but they still take a lot of time. I aim to change something about it this month.

(Robin) #25

Hey. Scooter! Happy cooking, buddy!

One day I will have a normal, clean day as I imagined it. Now I ate extremely early, at noon. I blame Tofu and the tastiness of chicken stew (itā€™s Alvaroā€™s so I didnā€™t eat it. just some of the jelly, so awesomeā€¦ I need a stew soon. itā€™s hard to get enough chicken for it, these tiny thighs were perfect but we donā€™t go to that hypermarket every month but pork is nice tooā€¦). As she came and wanted something nice. So I gave her the ends of the chicken thigh bones, cartilage, lots of skin, what not to like? Yep, she ate them up and was displeased there arenā€™t any more. That was when I tasted the jelly and then I had to eat a bit more. Even that very early, satiation isnā€™t trivial and my pork roast apparently wasnā€™t ready even after 3 hours. I ate from it yesterday but I want it more done nowā€¦ So I ate various things again, chicken Vienna sausage with proper cheese this time (Grana Padano is kind of proper but I use it in spice amounts), quark with sour cream, then again as this quark is super niceā€¦ I did eat a little pork with the leftover cream cheese as well.

Maybe I should make stews. Roasts seem complicated now, they produce way too much light jelly (still oversalted despite my efforts. I should pour some out of the oven pan when totally unsalted next time, maybe) and IDK what to do with it when I donā€™t have proper bony meat for soups. Egg pudding is edible but meh with it. Normally it becomes some nice dense stuff for the too lean pieces but not always. Maybe I will try to make some gravy from it. It helps that I donā€™t remember ever eating gravy (except a packaged one once. it wasnā€™t good) so I donā€™t have nostalgic expectations to meat. I will use the surpiringly good trick I use in my pancakes too: I use sour cream instead of flour (as far as I remember, gravy has flourā€¦? starch is good for thicken things so it makes sense), it should work. I feel a bigger need for sauces lately anyway. Still not a big one, I strongly prefer my meats without but that requires fatty meat and I canā€™t afford all that fat (partially great but I need to focus on leaner meat). Anyway, the lean pork I eat is way cheaper while I really like it. Just not always and not the leanest pieces.

So I will make new things on carnivore, thatā€™s good, I never can last for long without experimenting with new dishes. Itā€™s just a fun I am used to and of course, can be pretty useful as well.

No coffee day #1. Itā€™s great, a relief, actually. We will see how long I will last. I had a pure (without coffee or cocoa, I mean) egg milk today (egg, butter, little water, flavoring. I will try it without the latter but I always put vanilla and clove into every proper desserts of mine. I am curious what would work without. egg milk should as both yolk and butter is quite tasty). It was super delicious. I really wonder about other peopleā€™s tastes sometimes. Itā€™s pretty hard to beat the taste of my homemade things. And I barely do anything, eggs and dairy are just that very tasty.

Pretty sunny day today and it probably will stay for a while. I still am dressed for summer (we had some cooler days when I wasnā€™t) and just now wonder about letting the sunshine into my room again. The room temp went below 23C, itā€™s perfect. 24C is slight suffering while I donā€™t want much cooler yet. So maybe I let in sunshine very carefully, not all of them. My room is the single sunny room in the house but whenever there is sunshine outside, there is sunshine insideā€¦ :smiley: So itā€™s extremely sunny due to its south-east roof window and big south-west normal window. Hottest room all year round, hence I canā€™t sleep here during the whole summer. But finally, summer kind of ended and I only need to protect my room from the sun to a lesser extent.
If the whole house got much sunlight, we would barely need heating. Oh well, itā€™s still very cheap to heat the house. Still. And itā€™s so sad virtually never to get sunshine in the kitchen despite the huge windows everywhere. We have too many trees and covered terrace parts for it. I hope the latter is understandable, I just translated the Hungarian term.

Alvaro hasnā€™t given me the best photos yet for some reason so I only have one for now. Common kestrel.

I tracked. Yesterday wasā€¦ well, probably a normal people would call it massive overeating and merely keto (mostly carni items but the little extra bumped the carbs a bit). Not like I can track when I eat chicken with some amount of skin (it seemed the tiny thighs only had a bit. and a significant part of it was on the inedible ends so the cats ate it. I so love these tiny thighs with less skin, just perfect for stew!) and pork with unknown fattiness. 700g meat due to all the chicken, a tad much protein but nothing too bad.

Today wasnā€™t a good day. I didnā€™t feel well emotionally especially after Alvaro came home sick and enervated. Poor one couldnā€™t even eat more than a few bites and he had NO DESSERT. He must be super unwell. So tomorrow he goes to the doctor, he canā€™t work in this state and even if he could, itā€™s a hated workplace for him so the super rare (and valid) excuse should be used. He is a healthy one, very rarely sick.
I hadnā€™t much appetite either and IDK what is with my roast, it wasnā€™t good enough even after 4 hours so I just fried it in a pan, that did the trick :wink: I still didnā€™t love it but eating almost a pound during the day isnā€™t hard and I had a Vienna sausage and some smoked dried ham, it tastes so, so very good! Itā€™s a bit fatty too.
550g meat, 3 eggs, little dairy but it added upā€¦ Low maintenance level. About 5 meals but small ones. The last one was a bite of pork, itā€™s evening, NOW I enjoy it moreā€¦ Sigh. But I am nicely satiated. No photo about my food but look at these beauties, the bird of the year here, bearded tit :rofl: I am a child with a sensitive humor sense and I canā€™t stop finding the name of tits hilarious. We usually feed blue tits and great tits in winter. Blue tits are vicious, if you hold them, they go for your blood. Normally they go for larvae in the reed. They act like tiny woodpeckers.

The catalog and sticker is very very nicely done. As they should if they are about these extremely beautiful little birds.

(KM) #28

Better than a blue-footed booby, I think. :rofl:

These are lovely birds and great photos. Are these pictures Alvaro took, and if so, how / when / why?? Do you catch and band? I see something about a catalog - for buying these birds??? So confused!

I didnā€™t know the term, so itā€™s banding them? I googled quickly, yep it is, thanks.There is aā€¦ society (so bad with words now) for the birds, they count and protect and put rings on them. So we were merely watchers except the 1-1 bird we could release. And the kestrel petting.
The stickers and catalogs (or maybe info sheets?) are free, they pop up in various events. I took 2 reptile ones too, they were the lizard of the year in 2020 and 2022, I thinkā€¦ A viper and a lizard. We only have 2 snakes with venom so the viper is special. And elusive, little chance to meet one. Alvaro would love it though, he adores snakes and whenever he spots one, he grabs it. He knows how our vipers look like so hopefully he wouldnā€™t do that to themā€¦
I am the same with frogs but they never are dangerous hereā€¦ We are very tactile persons, maybe the animals arenā€™t so elated but we are careful and super quick. Except when the frogs are cooperativeā€¦ Some are.

More big animals from that eventā€¦ Well, the walk towards it. There is a little pond with lots of reeds and insane amounts of birds near one of our biggest (still small, itā€™s Hungary) lake. 300 species now that birds are movingā€¦ And A LOT of them. Geese, egrets, blue herons GALORE. I never saw many of them at once, well I saw geese as I often visit the events on another pond with maybe thousands of them, well thatā€™s loud!

Arenā€™t Hungarian Greys very pretty? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Not gorgeous adorable dolls like Jersey cattle especially the calves (best eyes, so fairy tale beautiful ones :smiley: never saw one in person, it must be a treat!) but quite good looking :wink:

(Bean) #30

I think all food in Hungary is pricy- at least it was for American shoppers. Especially restaurants, but grocery stores, too.

Some meats are very affordable. If $1-3 per kg isnā€™t cheap, I donā€™t know what is. (Okay, $1 is chicken frame and itā€™s a bother and only chicken but half of it is meatā€¦ And good start for a soup except I hate finding tiny bones everywhereā€¦)
Ruminants are expensive but they are that in the US too.
I am interested in food prices elsewhere and we have normal prices. Way lower than in some countries, NZ and AU is expensive. At least some items I heard about.
UK has enviable prices I knowā€¦ Thankfully our butter (and other dairy) prices dropped, it was a big hit when the price doubled and more in one yearā€¦

Of course, one may find expensive storesā€¦ But itā€™s easy to choose the popular chains with great sales. Itā€™s stronger now due to mandatory salesā€¦

(Bob) #32

What happened to the leg?

I had broken my ankle back in May. Fortunately we had a scooter in the house and I loved it. I could do almost anything and it was way better than crutches. This is when I went strict carnivore for the first time.

Spent a few hours in ER yesterday. I donā€™t like hospitals. So breakfast was at about 4pm of a bacon and egg omelette. Then I ate half a rare cooked rib steak at about 8pm. I just realised I had a day without coffee.

Worse than a trip to ER with chest pains was that Billie came home lame from her doggy playgroup. Billie is our Labrador. She joins a pack of dogs once a week to run around and explore a farm paddock and swim in a muddy dam. She was 3-legged lame, off her right back leg. We gave her anti inflammatory medication.

I was recording a narrated video and got heart pain. The chest pain radiated up into my jaw. My heart rate was about 72. I have a stethoscope in my bag with my sketchbook. There were a few asynchronous beats. It was not atrial fibrillation. This was new. I texted Mrs. Bear to say I was going to get checked out in hospital. That was always the plan in place. I took 300mg of aspirin and drove half an hour to a larger town that had a hospital. A headache accompanied me. By the time I got there my chest pain had subsided. I was at the edge of making the worldā€™s stupidest mistake. That would be to turn around and go home.

If you walk in to an ER and tell a nurse you have chest pain. They donā€™t let you go so easily. I was attached to all the machines. Blood was taken. Lots of questions and answers. Went for a chest X-ray. My blood pressure was 209 over 117. Maybe something would pop. I said, give me a moment. Then did some yoga breathing. My heart rate dropped to 61 and my blood pressure dropped to 167/90. The nurse asked, how are you doing that?

Mrs Bear arrived and made me a meditation music playlist. Emergency wards are unpleasant places full of raw human stress and tragedy. She had a cup of tea and worked on planning yoga classes. I had brought along my noise cancelling film editing headphones. I was shirtless with all the ECG leads attached. I put the t-shirt over my eyes as an eye mask. The young nurse attaching the leads asked, are you a surfer?

Mrs. Bear stifled a laugh, Yes, he is. Then teased, he is an old surfer. I havenā€™t been surfing for ages but this carnivore WoE has kept the lean mass in the right places. I dropped into some meditation as they serial blood tested heart muscle enzymes to detect damage. That takes a few hours of waiting.

Mrs. Bear told me off because the monitoring machine alarm kept going off as I was breathing at 4 breaths per minute. In my mind I go underwater. I place myself underwater in the ocean. My blood pressure was steady at 115/77 and my heart rate was in the 50ā€™s. The nurses called the doctor.

The ER doctor asked what medication Iā€™d been given. There was nothing recorded on the charts. The nurse tried to explain that I had been meditating. The doctor said, well Iā€™ve looked at the tests and there is nothing obviously wrong with you. That was good news. So we went home. Iā€™m still trying to work out the cause of the chest pain. The doc discounted the joint and muscle aches Iā€™ve had in the past month as being related. I thanked her for her care and was relieved to get out of there.

We had low end-of-winter firewood supplies. The cat has been demanding. She is getting older. She likes to curl up in front of the fire. Itā€™s relaxing to watch a cat sleep in front of a fire instead of the nightly news. It was a cold day. Mrs. Bear would not allow me to chop wood. So, I picked up two 20kg bags of chopped wood from the hardware store on the drive home.

Iā€™ll take a day off from work today and look after my dog. Thatā€™s good heart therapy I reckon.

(Robin) #34

You and Mrs Bear are a good team.

(Judy Thompson) #35

@FrankoBear what a story, good to read and see how well you both managed this crazy ER event. Miraculous how everything worked out so well! Your BP dropping like a stone while the nurse stood there slackjawed watching!

@Shinita love the bird pics. I canā€™t imagine snatching a bird out of the air like that!

Weā€™re on day 1 of the 3 day trip from VA to TX. Itā€™s 8pm, we should be to the motel in an hour or so.
It took a long time to pack and clean up this morning so it was 10:30 when we got on the road.
The truck stop we went to for lunch didnā€™t have any plain meat, so I was ready to have a boiled egg and forget it - then I saw Iā€™d cooked the bacon left in the fridge lastnight so I was set. On a later stop I got a beef stick and a cheese stick. Not ideal but at least my tummy is full.
Mimsy rides on my lap the whole trip. I keep meaning to add up the miles sheā€™s spent on my lap in 6Ā½ years. It must be close to 40,000 miles! At 3200 miles round trip and 2-3 trips a yearā€¦ thatā€™s a lot of lap dog time!

STEM Talk is a podcast I like to listen to. It is about science and humans. This episode is about dietary protein and health.

Iā€™m just at the early part where research shows women in the USA in two age groups in particular, 16 to 22, and 50 to 60 have a high number of people not meeting the recommended daily allowance (RDA) for dietary protein. And in the younger group that is further impacted by plant based diets and plant based proteins which are of lesser nutritional quality and bioavailability.

The maths for more optimum protein daily intake is interesting to me. 0.8g/ kg of a personā€™s body weight per day is the RDA. That is a minimum daily allowance to avoid potential deficiencies. I think the keto ā€˜moderateā€™ amount is around about 1.0g/ kg of a personā€™s body weight per day. That certainly helps maintain nutritional ketosis. The optimum recommended in this science podcast is in a range between 1.2g to 1.8g/ kg of a personā€™s body weight per day. That lands at about 1.5g/ kg of a personā€™s body weight per day. For completeness the upper level is 2.5g /BWkg/d.

Letā€™s define what grams of protein means as food. Most fresh, animal-based protein rich foods such as meat or eggs are about 25% to 27% protein. So a 200g steak provides about 50g protein. Or a 50g chicken egg provides 6g of protein. 150g of uncooked bacon has about 21g protein. A 120g tin of mackerel has about 22g of protein.

Letā€™s define what is meant by a personā€™s body weight. Iā€™m pretty sure that number is your ā€˜healthy body weightā€™. What a nebulous term. Iā€™ve heard it described as the body weight you were when you were in the best shape of your life after you finished growing as a teenager. For me, that was about 100kg. It will be a range. Iā€™m doing that to simplify the maths as well.

So, for me, I can work out 1.5g/ optimum BWkg/ day. Protein = 1.5 x 100 = 150g/ oBWkg/d. As food = 150g x 4 = 600g. So a 600g steak gets me there. Or, 3 eggs and bacon, and 500g (1.1lb) of meat per day. The recommendation is to aim for 40g protein at breakfast for older people to offset the catabolism of a nightā€™s sleep.

Mrs. Bear is a yoga teacher in good shape for decades at 50kg-ish. So, her daily protein amounts are half of my goals. She is half my size. But she is mighty. And could carry me from a burning building (or forest). She eats low carb. Protein is from eggs, dairy (cheese and yogurt) and canned or fresh fish, with the occasional 200g steak. So, the maths are more complex. Yay carnivore, for simple protein maths.

Dr. Donald Layman is interviewed here.

Dietary Protein Refresher - after listening to a STEM Talk podcast episode

Two favourite things: animation and scrambled eggs.

I bet it isā€¦ I pretty much avoid news, some reaches me in the radio in the morning anyway. But being with cats? Mmmm.

The kestrels can do it. Humans just use nets. Poor things are so very mixed up but the bird guys and gals took them out in minutes :slight_smile:

And I made aā€¦ thing using reedā€¦ Canā€™t explain but itā€™s simple, a bit hard work (reed doesnā€™t want to get broken and curled up on top), the things were used to show where the fish catching tools are but they served as a great nesting place for 3 different birds! Big ones on top, some small waterfowl down and bearded tits in the middle. If I understood things right.

Wow!

Alvaro is a tad better, could eat a half portion of his dessert he made on Sunday. Still have a temperature and feels unwell but it will last for a few days more, probably.
I will go and pick up the little bunny instead. And get one of my favs, deli meat with lots of organs, I see it so very rarely and now itā€™s on sale. Yum.

Today I will be able to focus on meat first and everything else later, if needed. Yesterday wasnā€™t bad but I do better. I desire simplicity since so long. Sometimes I eat so much dairy and processed stuff, chicken and whatever that I reach my proper macros before I ate the meat my body wants. So I want to consume the mandatory part first, itā€™s good when I am hungry anyway.

Protein is simple to me. I try to do my absolute best to eat as little as I comfortably can (while doing the same with fat). I am somewhat fine with 3g/kg for optimal body weight, I never go beyond nowadays but it took a lot of time to arrive here.
2g/kg is plain impossible to me, everything has protein, typically a lot.

Hence my aim to eat as lean as I can. I canā€™t afford the fat, fatty meat would trigger a serious overeating. Maybe not every day on carnivore but I wonā€™t test it in the near futureā€¦

Now I got curious about Alvaroā€™s protein intakeā€¦ I should track some of his simpler days. I used to think (maybe I had a reason for it) that he eats way less protein than me but it is apparently enough for him, he even could handle donating blood plasma when it was possible (he canā€™t even donate blood without a spleen), not very frequently though but once a month, fine.
The two days of him I actually tracker were higher-protein, 120-130g. A very big part came from bread, wow, itā€™s always surprising to meā€¦ But of course, he eats a decent amount of animal protein too, eggs, meat, cheeseā€¦ But he eats around 3000 kcal a dayā€¦ I reach at least 100g protein, no matter if I eat 1000 or 4000 kcal. My body makes sure of it, it harasses me until I eat enough.
But as I surely often wrote, my minimal protein intake is 130g. Itā€™s my aim as itā€™s not realistic to go lower. It happens once in a blut moon but thatā€™s it. My ā€œidealā€ bodyweight now should be around 56kg. 130g is my absolute best but my eating window was too big yesterday and the day before and guesstimation says 175 and 165g for those. And this is me behaving and keeping myself back from eating more protein. While I donā€™t even like my pork at the moment much. Still ate much, how? Probably my many mealsā€¦

Yep I need OMAD but at least TMAD and way, way less dairy stillā€¦

Yay! Sounds good. She is my role model now. Alvaro is only 69kg, it shouldnā€™t be so hard to carry him but I am still weak :frowning:

Yep. 5-600g meat, a few eggs and a little dairy and I am set :slight_smile: That is my usual plan and sometimes I donā€™t stray too far from itā€¦ And 5-600g meat is a very comfortable amount for me, itā€™s easy to eat. Not necessarily in one sitting but that happens too (especially when some chicken is involved as itā€™s not particularly satiating, just brings protein). Once in the last few months I tracked 170g protein for lunch. I think that was OMAD as the calories surely were high enough, I donā€™t eat lean.

But itā€™s easy on every woe, I eat until I get enough protein, no tracking is needed. The problem is overeating the other macros. Carnivore helps with that but I still need focus and avoiding really fatty things (well, somewhat. good luck to keep me from my butter, cream and whatever I fancy. but I am careful).

By the way, cream. I have some whipped cream in the fridge (itā€™s for Alvaroā€™s dessert but I could open another box. this was a bad though, less UHT flavor, better for pudding topsā€¦ not like he cares but itā€™s a good excuse for me to behave. and right too, it IS better) - and I consumed NONE yesterday. It never happened before or extremely rarely, having ready to eat cream, whipped at that and NOT touching it. I had the thought once or twice but it wasnā€™t serious.
I am improving.

(Karen) #40

Hi, sorry to hear you have been having issues again. You sound just like my dance partner Raymond with the heart matters. The Drs still donā€™t have a unanimous diagnosis for his chest pains. Its been cardiovascular, angina, muscle spasms and just more recently it is the fybromyalgia that he was diagnosed with about 10 years ago, then discounted (he was told he hadnā€™t got it) and now the chest pains are down to that. His BP goes up and down aswell though he hasnā€™t mastered meditation and yoga breathing techniques. I think it goes up when he becomes anxious with the pains and heaviness across his chest and then returns to normal when he gets reassured he hasnā€™t had a heart attack.
It is also known to rise and fall while he is in there when he gets no sleep due to dementia and mental health patients who sleep all day and come to life all night, screaming and yelling and giving the nurses a hard time!
I pray you will be resilient as usual and bounce back just as Raymond does.:pray: