Eggtober Octstravaganza - 31 days of Healthy Protein Eating - Carnivore Challenge

eggs

Some meats are very affordable. If $1-3 per kg isn’t cheap, I don’t know what is. (Okay, $1 is chicken frame and it’s a bother and only chicken but half of it is meat… And good start for a soup except I hate finding tiny bones everywhere…)
Ruminants are expensive but they are that in the US too.
I am interested in food prices elsewhere and we have normal prices. Way lower than in some countries, NZ and AU is expensive. At least some items I heard about.
UK has enviable prices I know… Thankfully our butter (and other dairy) prices dropped, it was a big hit when the price doubled and more in one year…

Of course, one may find expensive stores… But it’s easy to choose the popular chains with great sales. It’s stronger now due to mandatory sales…

(Bob) #32

What happened to the leg?

I had broken my ankle back in May. Fortunately we had a scooter in the house and I loved it. I could do almost anything and it was way better than crutches. This is when I went strict carnivore for the first time.

Spent a few hours in ER yesterday. I don’t like hospitals. So breakfast was at about 4pm of a bacon and egg omelette. Then I ate half a rare cooked rib steak at about 8pm. I just realised I had a day without coffee.

Worse than a trip to ER with chest pains was that Billie came home lame from her doggy playgroup. Billie is our Labrador. She joins a pack of dogs once a week to run around and explore a farm paddock and swim in a muddy dam. She was 3-legged lame, off her right back leg. We gave her anti inflammatory medication.

I was recording a narrated video and got heart pain. The chest pain radiated up into my jaw. My heart rate was about 72. I have a stethoscope in my bag with my sketchbook. There were a few asynchronous beats. It was not atrial fibrillation. This was new. I texted Mrs. Bear to say I was going to get checked out in hospital. That was always the plan in place. I took 300mg of aspirin and drove half an hour to a larger town that had a hospital. A headache accompanied me. By the time I got there my chest pain had subsided. I was at the edge of making the world’s stupidest mistake. That would be to turn around and go home.

If you walk in to an ER and tell a nurse you have chest pain. They don’t let you go so easily. I was attached to all the machines. Blood was taken. Lots of questions and answers. Went for a chest X-ray. My blood pressure was 209 over 117. Maybe something would pop. I said, give me a moment. Then did some yoga breathing. My heart rate dropped to 61 and my blood pressure dropped to 167/90. The nurse asked, how are you doing that?

Mrs Bear arrived and made me a meditation music playlist. Emergency wards are unpleasant places full of raw human stress and tragedy. She had a cup of tea and worked on planning yoga classes. I had brought along my noise cancelling film editing headphones. I was shirtless with all the ECG leads attached. I put the t-shirt over my eyes as an eye mask. The young nurse attaching the leads asked, are you a surfer?

Mrs. Bear stifled a laugh, Yes, he is. Then teased, he is an old surfer. I haven’t been surfing for ages but this carnivore WoE has kept the lean mass in the right places. I dropped into some meditation as they serial blood tested heart muscle enzymes to detect damage. That takes a few hours of waiting.

Mrs. Bear told me off because the monitoring machine alarm kept going off as I was breathing at 4 breaths per minute. In my mind I go underwater. I place myself underwater in the ocean. My blood pressure was steady at 115/77 and my heart rate was in the 50’s. The nurses called the doctor.

The ER doctor asked what medication I’d been given. There was nothing recorded on the charts. The nurse tried to explain that I had been meditating. The doctor said, well I’ve looked at the tests and there is nothing obviously wrong with you. That was good news. So we went home. I’m still trying to work out the cause of the chest pain. The doc discounted the joint and muscle aches I’ve had in the past month as being related. I thanked her for her care and was relieved to get out of there.

We had low end-of-winter firewood supplies. The cat has been demanding. She is getting older. She likes to curl up in front of the fire. It’s relaxing to watch a cat sleep in front of a fire instead of the nightly news. It was a cold day. Mrs. Bear would not allow me to chop wood. So, I picked up two 20kg bags of chopped wood from the hardware store on the drive home.

I’ll take a day off from work today and look after my dog. That’s good heart therapy I reckon.

(Robin) #34

You and Mrs Bear are a good team.

(Judy Thompson) #35

@FrankoBear what a story, good to read and see how well you both managed this crazy ER event. Miraculous how everything worked out so well! Your BP dropping like a stone while the nurse stood there slackjawed watching!

@Shinita love the bird pics. I can’t imagine snatching a bird out of the air like that!

We’re on day 1 of the 3 day trip from VA to TX. It’s 8pm, we should be to the motel in an hour or so.
It took a long time to pack and clean up this morning so it was 10:30 when we got on the road.
The truck stop we went to for lunch didn’t have any plain meat, so I was ready to have a boiled egg and forget it - then I saw I’d cooked the bacon left in the fridge lastnight so I was set. On a later stop I got a beef stick and a cheese stick. Not ideal but at least my tummy is full.
Mimsy rides on my lap the whole trip. I keep meaning to add up the miles she’s spent on my lap in 6½ years. It must be close to 40,000 miles! At 3200 miles round trip and 2-3 trips a year… that’s a lot of lap dog time!

STEM Talk is a podcast I like to listen to. It is about science and humans. This episode is about dietary protein and health.

I’m just at the early part where research shows women in the USA in two age groups in particular, 16 to 22, and 50 to 60 have a high number of people not meeting the recommended daily allowance (RDA) for dietary protein. And in the younger group that is further impacted by plant based diets and plant based proteins which are of lesser nutritional quality and bioavailability.

The maths for more optimum protein daily intake is interesting to me. 0.8g/ kg of a person’s body weight per day is the RDA. That is a minimum daily allowance to avoid potential deficiencies. I think the keto ‘moderate’ amount is around about 1.0g/ kg of a person’s body weight per day. That certainly helps maintain nutritional ketosis. The optimum recommended in this science podcast is in a range between 1.2g to 1.8g/ kg of a person’s body weight per day. That lands at about 1.5g/ kg of a person’s body weight per day. For completeness the upper level is 2.5g /BWkg/d.

Let’s define what grams of protein means as food. Most fresh, animal-based protein rich foods such as meat or eggs are about 25% to 27% protein. So a 200g steak provides about 50g protein. Or a 50g chicken egg provides 6g of protein. 150g of uncooked bacon has about 21g protein. A 120g tin of mackerel has about 22g of protein.

Let’s define what is meant by a person’s body weight. I’m pretty sure that number is your ‘healthy body weight’. What a nebulous term. I’ve heard it described as the body weight you were when you were in the best shape of your life after you finished growing as a teenager. For me, that was about 100kg. It will be a range. I’m doing that to simplify the maths as well.

So, for me, I can work out 1.5g/ optimum BWkg/ day. Protein = 1.5 x 100 = 150g/ oBWkg/d. As food = 150g x 4 = 600g. So a 600g steak gets me there. Or, 3 eggs and bacon, and 500g (1.1lb) of meat per day. The recommendation is to aim for 40g protein at breakfast for older people to offset the catabolism of a night’s sleep.

Mrs. Bear is a yoga teacher in good shape for decades at 50kg-ish. So, her daily protein amounts are half of my goals. She is half my size. But she is mighty. And could carry me from a burning building (or forest). She eats low carb. Protein is from eggs, dairy (cheese and yogurt) and canned or fresh fish, with the occasional 200g steak. So, the maths are more complex. Yay carnivore, for simple protein maths.

Dr. Donald Layman is interviewed here.

Dietary Protein Refresher - after listening to a STEM Talk podcast episode

Two favourite things: animation and scrambled eggs.

I bet it is… I pretty much avoid news, some reaches me in the radio in the morning anyway. But being with cats? Mmmm.

The kestrels can do it. Humans just use nets. Poor things are so very mixed up but the bird guys and gals took them out in minutes :slight_smile:

And I made a… thing using reed… Can’t explain but it’s simple, a bit hard work (reed doesn’t want to get broken and curled up on top), the things were used to show where the fish catching tools are but they served as a great nesting place for 3 different birds! Big ones on top, some small waterfowl down and bearded tits in the middle. If I understood things right.

Wow!

Alvaro is a tad better, could eat a half portion of his dessert he made on Sunday. Still have a temperature and feels unwell but it will last for a few days more, probably.
I will go and pick up the little bunny instead. And get one of my favs, deli meat with lots of organs, I see it so very rarely and now it’s on sale. Yum.

Today I will be able to focus on meat first and everything else later, if needed. Yesterday wasn’t bad but I do better. I desire simplicity since so long. Sometimes I eat so much dairy and processed stuff, chicken and whatever that I reach my proper macros before I ate the meat my body wants. So I want to consume the mandatory part first, it’s good when I am hungry anyway.

Protein is simple to me. I try to do my absolute best to eat as little as I comfortably can (while doing the same with fat). I am somewhat fine with 3g/kg for optimal body weight, I never go beyond nowadays but it took a lot of time to arrive here.
2g/kg is plain impossible to me, everything has protein, typically a lot.

Hence my aim to eat as lean as I can. I can’t afford the fat, fatty meat would trigger a serious overeating. Maybe not every day on carnivore but I won’t test it in the near future…

Now I got curious about Alvaro’s protein intake… I should track some of his simpler days. I used to think (maybe I had a reason for it) that he eats way less protein than me but it is apparently enough for him, he even could handle donating blood plasma when it was possible (he can’t even donate blood without a spleen), not very frequently though but once a month, fine.
The two days of him I actually tracker were higher-protein, 120-130g. A very big part came from bread, wow, it’s always surprising to me… But of course, he eats a decent amount of animal protein too, eggs, meat, cheese… But he eats around 3000 kcal a day… I reach at least 100g protein, no matter if I eat 1000 or 4000 kcal. My body makes sure of it, it harasses me until I eat enough.
But as I surely often wrote, my minimal protein intake is 130g. It’s my aim as it’s not realistic to go lower. It happens once in a blut moon but that’s it. My “ideal” bodyweight now should be around 56kg. 130g is my absolute best but my eating window was too big yesterday and the day before and guesstimation says 175 and 165g for those. And this is me behaving and keeping myself back from eating more protein. While I don’t even like my pork at the moment much. Still ate much, how? Probably my many meals…

Yep I need OMAD but at least TMAD and way, way less dairy still…

Yay! Sounds good. She is my role model now. Alvaro is only 69kg, it shouldn’t be so hard to carry him but I am still weak :frowning:

Yep. 5-600g meat, a few eggs and a little dairy and I am set :slight_smile: That is my usual plan and sometimes I don’t stray too far from it… And 5-600g meat is a very comfortable amount for me, it’s easy to eat. Not necessarily in one sitting but that happens too (especially when some chicken is involved as it’s not particularly satiating, just brings protein). Once in the last few months I tracked 170g protein for lunch. I think that was OMAD as the calories surely were high enough, I don’t eat lean.

But it’s easy on every woe, I eat until I get enough protein, no tracking is needed. The problem is overeating the other macros. Carnivore helps with that but I still need focus and avoiding really fatty things (well, somewhat. good luck to keep me from my butter, cream and whatever I fancy. but I am careful).

By the way, cream. I have some whipped cream in the fridge (it’s for Alvaro’s dessert but I could open another box. this was a bad though, less UHT flavor, better for pudding tops… not like he cares but it’s a good excuse for me to behave. and right too, it IS better) - and I consumed NONE yesterday. It never happened before or extremely rarely, having ready to eat cream, whipped at that and NOT touching it. I had the thought once or twice but it wasn’t serious.
I am improving.

(Karen) #40

Hi, sorry to hear you have been having issues again. You sound just like my dance partner Raymond with the heart matters. The Drs still don’t have a unanimous diagnosis for his chest pains. Its been cardiovascular, angina, muscle spasms and just more recently it is the fybromyalgia that he was diagnosed with about 10 years ago, then discounted (he was told he hadn’t got it) and now the chest pains are down to that. His BP goes up and down aswell though he hasn’t mastered meditation and yoga breathing techniques. I think it goes up when he becomes anxious with the pains and heaviness across his chest and then returns to normal when he gets reassured he hasn’t had a heart attack.
It is also known to rise and fall while he is in there when he gets no sleep due to dementia and mental health patients who sleep all day and come to life all night, screaming and yelling and giving the nurses a hard time!
I pray you will be resilient as usual and bounce back just as Raymond does.:pray:

(Karen) #41

Yesterdays food

Sirloin steak with 2 over easy fried eggs … beautiful … eggs were perfect for my liking and the steak was very tender and tasteful. The pork ribs were done in the slowcooker and the meat fell off the bone. I am doing so much better on simple plain meat rather than adding the spices and the pork tasted lovely. I noticed the urine odour returned after eating the chicken wings the other day. I am going to stop buying ready spiced wings in future and just cook plain wings for the foreseeable future. I think there maybe some spiced wings left in the freezer to use up.

Got up and started my day with stair running and managed 67 stair runs (75 total for the day) i was pleased with that, it feels such a long time since i have felt fit enough with this flippin virus. Sat outside to read, a bit overcast but dry and mild. Took yet another big black refuse sack full of shoes, clothes and bric a brac to the charity shop. Now to start filling anothe one!

Decided to go dancing last night to a modern jive evening. Raymond wanted to come along and did remarkably well. He never fails to surprise me how he bounces back after all his medical issues. You wouldn’t know he was 86 and certainly doesn’t look out of place amongst the younger dancers. The ladies still ask him to dance and not out of feeling sorry for him but that he is a good dancer! He mentioned that he didn’t want to cramp my style but to be honest i actually prefer him to come along, provided he is careful and doesn’t overdo it, because after dancing with some of the fellas it is just so nice to dance a nice dance. When the guys see you can dance well they so want to chuck in so much technical stuff they have learnt and sometimes it is so much that the pleasure just goes out of the dance!

Had to have a bit of a lay in after the late night … 11.30pm that’s very late for a bod that is usually in bed by 8pm😏 got my stair running head on and did 40 flights this morning. Very tired but recovered very quickly which is the important bit! Sat in part sunshine/part overcast with coffee and books. A bit of a chillier breeze this morning but still enjoyed the fresh air.

Brunch was 2 sea bass filets and cold water prawns. It was beautiful. I am really enjoying my food lately. Just plain with lovely french butter!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #42

I have persistent neuropathy from Lyme disease, and my knee buckled while I was crossing the street. Nothing to hold on to, so I went down hard. They had to operate on my ankle bone (malleolus).

And yeah, the scooter is great. Much more manageable than the wheel chair, and not nearly as strenuous as the walker!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #43

Glad it turned out not to be serious, but going to the ER was the right decision.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #44

This site follows Dr. Phinney’s recommendation of 1.0-1.5 g of protein per kg of lean body mass. But a number of experts, such as Benjamin Bikman, recommend up to 2.0 g. And on carnivore, we probably end up eating a bit more protein. The saying that “too much protein is not a thing,” is not strictly true, in that it is possible to give oneself ammonia toxicity (which is potentially fata) if protein intake is excessive. But the saying really means not to worry about too much protein, since we are highly unlikely to overeat it. (Gary Taubes mentions an overfeeding study in one of his books, during which one of the subjects reportedly broke down in tears at the thought of having to eat yet another pork chop.)

I am following Dr. Chaffee’s advice to eat meat as long as it tastes good, since I find that I don’t get that “empty pit” feeling when I’m hungry anymore. It seems to work well. If it tastes good, I eat it; when it stops tasting good, I put the leftovers (if any!) away for later.

(Judy Thompson) #45

First night on the road accomplished and we’re heading through the green vista of Tennessee. Today we’re go through Nashville, Memphis, and the Arkansas Capitol, Little Rock. Tonight we stay in Texarkana and all of tomorrow we drive in Texas to end up in the exact middle of the state tomorrow night, and we’re home!

I forgot or misplaced Mimsy’s food :grimacing:. Didn’t discover it till lastnight. I make raw for her and have been making my own for over 5 years. Lastnight I shared my liverwurst, which she loves, but she cried to go out in the night and when hubby took her out, all was relieved. This morning I got sausage and eggs from the hotel breakfast bar and gave her a fair share. She was happy with that!
All we have to do is get through this 2 days and I can make a batch tomorrow night when we get home.
She will be 7 in late December. This is the first time she hasn’t had her raw food! Happy actually, to see how much better it is for her than this junk.

@PaulL What am awful experience. Since carnivore I don’t fall as much but I still fall some, grabbing a tree branch for balance which subsequently breaks for instance. Bad about the ankle. Hope you’re on the mend!
@Shinita Oh nets! Those little bitty birds could easily be caught in nets. They’re so cute!

All bounced back. Billie as well.

Ate left over rib steak and pan-fried haloumi cheese for dinner. Had 1 egg omelette with a stack of bacon and a tin of mackerel for breakfast. 2 cups of coffee with a splash of pouring cream in each.

(Karen) #47

2nd meal of todays 2 small sirloin steak. Very tender and tasty with cold water prawns and mussels sautèd in french butter. Added oodles of extra butter to the meal. I feel nicely full. Mussels are great fo filling you up. I got them from Morrisons today. They were reduced from £1.75 to 88p per 175g pack. So i got all the 8 that were reduced, used one pack this evening and the other 7 went straight into the freezer. They make a great filling omelette especially since i am not eating cheese now!!! Also bought 3 double packs of Denver steaks for £10. They were a mix and match 3 for £10 deal but the other stuff was chicken and pork with gubbins on so steaks only were perfect for me. Ahhh, love that i don’t have any hard decision making when i go shopping. Also got a brisket for £5.65… i will slow cook that tomorrow and hope that it looks as good as @JJFiddles pics of her briskets!:smirk::slightly_smiling_face:

Ate the lot… was i greedy or what? Don’t feel stuffed, just satisfied :blush:

I am sorry, this is a monster comment…

I picked up the rabbit. Didn’t find the fun meats on sale in the supermarket but there was the usual “scrap meat” on sale! It still looks 70/30 but that info disappeared, it says it contains green ham and shoulder pieces now. Hopefully tastier ones than my current roasts :frowning: They are very disappointing, I can’t stomach much of them at once, at least not alone. Thankfully so many things can help but it annoys me that I need smoked ham, sausage, cream cheese or some sauce to be able to eat pork. IDK what is the matter with these now. Oh well. Alvaro is glad I roasted a lot of lean pork as he feels nauseous just thinking about fatty things. Maybe not eggs but we only have 10 now (isn’t even enough for a good day) and neither of us can go get more now. Except Alvaro is at the doc right now and maybe he could pick up some at the greengrocery… But he is sick while both my bicycle and right leg is in very bad shape. Well my leg is okay just aching and I automatically avoid to put weight into my heel and then eventually the other parts start aching too… It slowed me quite much today and it wasn’t fun at all. 11km is just too much with this leg of mine now. So I have a slightly tired leg and a super tired, aching one right now, odd feeling. I don’t want to walk for 2 days now. Maybe a tiny run out of pure stubbornness. If something feels bad to my right heel, it’s running. Unless I run limping but that’s super tiring for the parts trying to take the role of my heel. I did that today and stopped very soon.
But there is great weather for running (not at midday, I regretted I didn’t use full summer clothing, sleeveless top and thin pants. but it was tolerable, my leg was much worse but even my slow speed. I am used to walking at 5-6km/h, that’s slow enough…) so I want to do it. At least a tiny bit! Just to the hilltop and back. Oh I should make a shot, the sorghum is all red and beautiful now and the nearby lake with the hills is pretty as usual.

I have lasted for almost 2 days. Good enough. At 16:30 I drank my first coffee… It’s nice. I put milk into it, it seems milk is freezable. We are surprised but it’s great news, I don’t need to drink milk just to avoid spoilage. The ESL milk is fine but the raw milk doesn’t last long.

@JJFiddle, good to read about Mimsy :slight_smile: I remember when Fangs talked about Bolt but we barely even see herself here now. Of course, I would be curious about Mimsy even in the presence of Bolt stuff… The little zillion miles lapdog! :smiley:

I would cry before the first one :slight_smile: Too lean.
I have watched a video yesterday that tried to explain (among others) the reason for people having a dessert stomach. It’s complex and they don’t mention all the reasons but had very good points. Allegedly something in our brain gets fed enough if we eat the same thing again and again. I have thought about carnivores and some other people who don’t seem to work like this… But I am like that, I need variety. Less so if I love my food, though. A really superb meat can cover my whole meal, even day, it’s extremely rare in my life but doable occasionally. I wouldn’t like that every day.
I can overeat protein very easily but if we talk about protein toxicity level, I hardly could do that day to day. First of all, my body is smarter than that. Going over 3.3g/kg is way too easy, even without trying (I know as I did that so many times while trying to keep my protein “low”) but around 4g/kg I automatically stop and if I am hungry, I desire fat instead. And next day I don’t go near it, probably so my average is always below 3.3g/kg.
I still want to minimize my protein for other reasons, I don’t worry about protein toxicity, my body handles it without my conscious effort.
Even in general, eating too much protein is pretty rare, people may have problems with the opposite. Probably less so on keto (except maybe if they undereat, it happens, it may be keto or just someone’s not woe related ED) but when one stuffs themselves with carbs and they happen to get satiated by that, low protein may happen. My body doesn’t care, no amount of sugar chases away my strong protein eating urge. It’s so great, my protein intake is always in its good range (on average, at least as I do have way too high protein days but they can’t cause problems sandwiched between more normal ones), no matter what (barred fasting days but I never have those nowadays). Once it dropped to adequate level when I avoided all animal products but it was before I discovered gluten.

Hm. I doubt I could repeat that 5 plant-based days, my body probably would lose its mind without meat for days… My mind would lose its mind too, probably as it always had some problems with depending on gluten too much… I surely won’t try it in the near future. I am getting ready for carnivore month experiments in November, January, February, March, April and May. Plus some stew, maybe. I am into stews now while I am not into just any lame roast… I may need some more complex and wet recipes. Stews are the best though. I don’t want a carni curry. I can’t imagine a chili without beans, we always made plant-based chili… But something with water and sour cream… I plan some organ+normal meat stews…

I still like to roast enough meat for days… Even if I like freshly made fried meat better. But that is good later too and my pan can hold 2+ pounds and that’s for 2 days, at least… (Not all alone, of course, a pound of meat is a bit pitiful for me nowadays).
We always liked to make enough food for quite a few meals (the sides, desserts, soups and other things made sure there barely was a day without lots of cooking). It was more important when we used vegs and the cooking was very time consuming. But vegs aren’t satiating except legumes… Some carni stew sounds so, so much more useful :wink:

6pm, I am still satiated. Wow. It’s a coffee-y day and it’s fine. I run out of milk and opened a box of cream. Yum.

Doc couldn’t say anything useful but Alvaro didn’t went for help, just… Whatever it is called that he needs to show his workplace to prove he was sick. So he is at home this week. I told him to get well until tomorrow and he says he probably will. He doesn’t mix with sickness well. After his accident, splenectomy and whatever else they did, as soon as his mind cleared (4 days), he was walking up and down on stairs with his 17 broken bones (ribs and vertebrae) and he didn’t understand how on earth his Mom imagined not to do it. It was inevitable… He HATES being sick but I am like that too. And I have read that it’s a thing now that people stay in bed. Just to rest. All day or all weekend. What. I never stay in bed, not even when sick, I would be more sick that way… I don’t have sleep deprivation either but no one needs to SLEEP all day let alone all weekend. Breakfast in bed is super weird to me too but breakfast isn’t my thing to begin with… But eating in BED? I barely understand people eat in movie theaters! I go there to watch movies… I like to focus on my food. (I can watch movies and still enjoy peanuts but I shouldn’t eat peanuts. I didn’t have this with anything else.)

I can’t stop myself :frowning: I will try harder. It’s pretty impossible when I come here tired, it’s so very nice to relax here.

Stupid headache. I drink another coffee, it will be only the 5th or something. By the way, I vaguely track my water intake now too. 3.5 liter for yesterday, it will be similar for today. But Alvaro came and drank a lot of my tea and I just don’t bother much with it.

And I got another, barely noticeable few second cramps. What should I blame now? Carbs? Not enough meat all the time? I mean, I have enough on most days but I had some lower-meat days lately. Maybe much water and my usual little sodium? Beats me. It’s almost nothing but I want to get enough of everything important. We will see if mostly carnivore months (with lots of meat this time, I never ate this much before) will solve it. But I may soak in Epsom salt now and then too…

And you bring these super enviable prices again… I barely even could find mussels here let alone cheap ones (not like I like mussels but maybe there are better ones. the few I tried were meh without some tasty sauce. fun but I rather buy something cheaper and better). But I have wonderful smoked mackerel now so I am not as sad as usual regarding seafood :wink: I really want some new, fancier fish species for Christmas this year… So it will happen. And little shrimps too. No matter how expensive they are. It’s hard to justify them, they are fun but not as good as some great fish. Smoked mackerel is amazing, it’s kind of expensive (not steak level though, not even close) but super flavorful, I don’t need much.

(Karen) #49

I always spend time pulling out the coily bit from inside the mussel. It isn’t in all of the mussels but i check each one because i just want a really enjoyable feast… not stopping every biteful and pulling that bit out of my mouth! Worth every check lol

After a small dinner, I got hungry so I had a second dinner… Tracking says 614g meat and the vast majority of my calories (both protein and fat) came from meat. So, despite my problems with my roast, I had a meaty day. Yay!

Now I want to do it even better tomorrow… I don’t give up on a Simple Lunch, it is my goal since long and only very rarely happened this far. Just meat and eggs and little else, that should be possible even for me… Alvaro bought 30 eggs so I can eat wonderful big egg milks if I want… And yep, I do want to do it, those are the highlights of my days food wise now. Maybe even in general, I don’t have good days though I met a lovely little frog today and that’s always nice. A little brown one in the forest. Possibly an agile frog. The Hungarian name translates to “forest frog” and indeed, I always met it under trees. It can jump pretty high for its small body, it didn’t do it this time though. Okay, the frog wins. And the big spider yesterday… Sunday obviously was all about the birds. One day I will bring more photos.