Eggs -

(carl) #21

At McDonalds you can ask for real fried eggs. The sausage mcmuffin and egg mcmuffin come with real eggs. They may be cooked in vegetable oil though

(matt ) #22

Its liquid margarineā€¦I saw that today. Brutal

(matt ) #23

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/usnutritionexchange/ingredientslist.pdf

(Guardian of the bacon) #24

Most likely carb count included the hash browns and possibly toast if that was an option.

(Laurie) #25

My first post and Iā€™ve learned so much! Thanks for all of the input. Guess another reason to never let your guard down when it comes to food. It was a surprise, to me at least, that an egg isnā€™t just an egg. I donā€™t eat out much these days and hardly ever at a fast food place. Just like I donā€™t expect terrific customer service at a Walmart type store, I donā€™t expect great food at a fast food or chain restaurant.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #26

Perhaps from a nutrition/ingredients standpoint. The other issue with me is that they taste AWFUL!

(thefeatherdustersllc) #27

That is correct, if you ask for a real egg on your McMuffin, they crack them fresh. The eggs with all the ingredients come in a huge 5 gallon bucket, and thatā€™s what they use to do anything scrambled.

(Georgia) #28

I knew they add pancake batter to the omelettes at some of the pancake places, but I had no idea the eggs werenā€™t just eggs at the fast food places.

Next year Iā€™ll eat more breakfasts I make myself.

Thanks for the info.

(jketoscribe) #29

IHOP is famous for adding pancake batter to their omelets but you can ask them to use real eggs instead.

(thefeatherdustersllc) #30

I had no idea, gross.

(thefeatherdustersllc) #31

Me too, real eggs or no eggs.

How are they allowed to get away with this? :hushed: Makes me so mad. People order in good faith, if thereā€™s any modification it should be disclosed. Adding pancake batter to an omelette?! :scream: No one in their right mind would think that would occur. Mental note to self, always ask about the eggs when ordering whilst travelling in the U.S. :grin:

(paddy0761) #33

Does anybody here actually eat anything from those places? I sure as hell wouldnā€™t. If I were in a ā€œcaptiveā€ situation, I think Iā€™d have a black coffee, and thatā€™s it.

I realise a lot of people into Keto have come straight into it from a SAD diet, for various reasons, but many of us have landed here as a natural progression from Paleo/Primal and wouldnā€™t step foot into one of those places (except to pour the gasolene and drop the match). :boom:

(Larry Lustig) #34

Yes, quite a few of us find keto options available at, for instance, McDonaldā€™s. And Starbucks will put HWC in your coffee if you ask.

(paddy0761) #35

Do you consider the fat ratios; MUFA,PUFA and SFA and subtypes, or just accept it as collateral damage of a modern life?
We know that they use the ā€œwrongā€ oils in those places, so how often is too often I wonder?

(AnnaLeeThal) #36

Yes, we for sure eat at these places once in a while, and Starbucks more than once in a while! I donā€™t get food at Starbucks anymore, but I get a coffee about once a week.

(Carol E. ) #37

Is anyone aware of boiled eggs being a restaurant/fast food option?

(G. Andrew Duthie) #38

Yup. Itā€™s not grass-fed, alas, but it definitely beats the crap out of half-and-half or milk.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #39

Not sure about fast food, but Iā€™ve seen plenty of convenience stores like Sheetz and Wawa that carry hard boiled eggs, and a number of other simple keto-friendly snacks (cheese sticks, pepperoni and cheese, etc.).

(Laurie) #40

Yes, Iā€™m sure some people have found themselves in one (or more) of those places from time to time. Iā€™m not a regular - except for Starbucks where a dark roast coffee is mostly what I order. My reason for posting was that I was surprised that something as simple and good for you as an egg could be adulterated with not-so-good things. My apologies if this was already known to you.
Iā€™m glad you never find yourself in a position to frequent those places but not all of us came from a Paleo/Primal background and some of us have occasion to meet up with others on occasion and not have a choice in the location.
My position is knowledge is power and just trying to help inform.