Eggs -

(Laurie) #1

Just saw a TV show exposing all the extra ingredients in eggs from fast food places - xantham gum, modified starch, propyleneglycol (sp?) artificial butter - and more!
They showed Dunkin Donuts, McD’s, Starbucks, Burger King and many others. Even when the reporter asked specifically, “Is there anything other than eggs in your eggs?” he was told no. But the website for these chains gave the truth.
I am not a fast food customer but have thought that it would be a good choice if I found myself on the road and needed something keto.
10 ingredients in eggs?? WTF!

(Larry Lustig) #2

Link?

(Laurie) #3

Link? I’ll give it a try.

In case it doesn’t work it is Mark Schatzker, a journalist who does food stuff. He was appearing on Dr. Oz (yeah, not someone I trust for health info!) but it’s a rerun of something.

(Larry Lustig) #4

Great, thanks! Will want to give this a gander at some point.

(Guardian of the bacon) #5

I think an egg mcmuffin…minus the muffin of course is a good choice as far as the egg is concerned. I’m pretty sure it’s just a hard fried egg. Lord knows what they put in the meat.

(Laurie) #6

That’s what I thought too :frowning:
Here’s a copy from a People article:
Starbucks: Egg whites, egg yolks, milk, modified food starch, salt, citric acid

McDonald’s: Whole eggs, nonfat milk, modified food starch, salt, citric acid, soy lecithin
Dunkin Donuts: Here’s how it breaks down, according to the company’s website: Egg whites, water, egg yolks, modified corn starch, natural sautéed flavor (soybean oil, medium chain triglycerides, natural flavor), salt, artificial butter flavor (propylene glycol, artificial flavor), xanthan gum, citric acid, coarse ground black pepper.
And here’s a link to the whole article: http://people.com/food/dunkin-donuts-eggs-ingredients-mcdonalds-breakfast-starbucks-mcdonalds/

(matt ) #7

At Mcd you can ask for real egg and they crack the egg open right there. The premade stuff has other ingredients.

(Laurie) #8

That’s good to know. Thanks.

(ianrobo) #9

simple really don;t eat fast food crap, if fully keto can go hungry until can get real food ?

(matt ) #10

Shit happen @ianrobo and its good to have info to help with choices. Don’t judge.

(ianrobo) #11

no judgement but if you go into these places the food is crap and no point going to find good food. As Jimmy Moore says go to McD’s but know it is fast crap food, don;t try and pretend they sell good food.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #12

When I worked at McDonald’s , the eggs on the muffins were whole eggs fried in a metal ring with nothing added… I cracked at ton of eggs in my year there :grin:, the eggs look the same now. The scrambled eggs were prepared and poured out of a container so they’ve had additives for eons, yes I’m old!

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #13

@BaconNectar LUV the name!

(mwall) #14

I don’t mind watching Dr. Oz because it helps me keep my bunk sniffer sharp and sometimes there are nuggets worth my effort. :santa:

(Michael Boggs) #15

When you order, ask for “Shell Eggs.”

(Tom Seest) #16

Yep. Most people will honor requests for eggs from shells.

(Jenn W) #17

I cannot eat any of the liquid eggs. They use them at my work and never fail one bite and I’m sick to my stomach for the rest of the day.
Real eggs for me. Not chancing it ever again!

(Jake P) #18

A few weeks ago I took my kids to Village Inn (a dinner chain) I ordered a Denver Omelet. It came with hash browns which I did not eat, but later that night I was logging my food in my app, and it said the Denver Omelet had 135g of carbs. It’s eggs, some veggies, and a little cheese. I can’t tell if they are counting the hashbrowns or not, but that was sure an eye opener for me. I think I’ll stick to steaks from now on.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #19

Indeed. While the “scrambled” eggs from a carton don’t make me ill, I prefer the real thing by far.

Our church hosts pancake breakfasts, and my kids always want to go, and my wife suggests that I can just eat the eggs and sausage. But the eggs are from a carton, and the sausage is the bulk frozen stuff, and both I’m sure are loaded with other crap that I don’t want to eat. So I don’t.

I figure even if I can’t get my wife and kids fully on board with keto, every inch that I can move them in that direction is a potential improvement in their health. We already have less crap in the house than we did just a few years ago, and we get our eggs from a local farmer (as well as some of our meats). Incremental steps…

(Larry Lustig) #20

Might be worth checking the brands / nutrition labels. Might be okay.