Egg News

(Brad) #1

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2018/05/09/nutrition-journal-suggests-new-guidelines-for-egg-consumption.html

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #2

So, they tested 12 a week…
And found no problem.

Next up, 21 a week (3 a day)… or 28 or 35… or hell, go the full 49 (7 a day).

It’s good that they’re publishing, but it’s kind of a bad headline (beyond the grammar), because they haven’t established an upward limit…

in my reading, eggs are pretty much the perfect food, as long as you don’t eat too many scrambled hard. I seem to recall Drs. Mike and Mary Dan Eades with something wrong with cooking broken yolks…

(Jo) #3

Yay! My chickens are producing 30 eggs a day. I could subsist on that! As long as we can keep feeding the chickens we’ll survive! 15 fried eggs a day each is 94.4 grams of protein, 8 grams of carbs and 120 grams of fat. for a total of 1514 Kcal. Sounds like a perfect keto day to me!:thinking::grinning::grin:

(Lonnie Hedley) #4

Yeah, I’ve read the healthiest way to eat an egg is raw. Basically the longer it’s exposed to heat, the less the nutrients. I can’t do raw, and it’s easiest for me to add them all at once which ends up being some sort of scrambled. I’m eating around 8 a day. Whatever I’m losing in exposure to heat I’m gaining in quantity.

So 56 a week. So far so good.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #5

Well shucks. I’ve only had 2 so far today. Sounds like I’ve got some catching up to do.

How to get in enough eggs? There are worse struggles to have, I suppose.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #6

Sous vide pasteurization can lead to raw eggs that are functionally safe from any of the nastiness…

The Eades were on about cooking broken yolk and eating a lot of it. They were less concerned about sunny up, over easy, and such. I eat the majority of mine sunny up or scrambled and sous vided… gentler cook.

(Lonnie Hedley) #7

Maybe when I say “I can’t do raw”, I mean I’ve never eaten a raw egg. I’m not afraid of getting sick because I buy good eggs. But, eating raw is unnappealing. 56 a week cooked in a half dozen different ways however is a different story.

In time maybe I’ll work up to shots of raw eggs. Until then I’m not concerned with how I cook them.

There was a time when I didn’t eat the fat on my ribeye too. Tastes and preferences have a way of changing.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #8

I had sunny side up today. I thought I would really miss the toast to sop up all the yummy, oozy yokes, but I really didn’t.

(Ethan) #9

Eggs do not significantly raise cholesterol in the blood, the Mayo Clinic reports, and people who replace a grain-based breakfast with eggs have been found to eat fewer calories over the day.

yeah… we knew it.

(Brian) #10

I like my eggs but wouldn’t eat 6 or 8 or 10 or however many exactly the same. I like some variety. I like 'em fried, boiled, scrambled, deviled, pickled, and am always using them in other things.

No doubt some ways of prepping them are better than others. I tend to like them a little under done as they tend to get tough when overcooked. I like 'em real tender.

I’ve thought that they were one of nature’s most perfect foods, even before I had ever heard of keto.

:slight_smile:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #11

I generally have them at a diner, where I sop them up with pork chops.

(Mike W.) #12

I could eat a dozen deviled eggs a day without question. I love them.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

That’s what your bacon, sausage, and steak are for, lol! :bacon:

(Troy) #14

And pork Rinds
To Sop up that yolk!

(Jay AM) #15

I wonder if the raw benefits last with salt curing. I’ve really wanted to try salt cured yolks.

(Candy Lind) #16

I think it might have been DietDoctor where someone said to come back and ask if you got up to 36. LOL!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #17

Pretty sure I’ve been saying that a lot… 12 seems like a low number if I’m planning on replacing some breakfast protein with eggs…

(LeeAnn Brooks) #18

If anyone has a good Keto eggs Benedict recipie to share, I would be humbly in your debt.

I actually found a hollandaise sauce recipie, but I don’t know what to sub out the English muffin with.

(Lisa F) #19

Found this in a paleo magazine and it was wonderful -

For four servings:

8 large portobello mushroom caps
Olive oil
Chopped chives
Sea salt and pepper
8 slices Canadian bacon

Preheat to 450. Line a cookie sheet with parchment.
Combine olive oil, chives, salt and pepper and brush over mushroom caps (remove stems first - save for a future salad)

Put mushrooms smooth side down on baking sheet, and top with a slice of Canadian bacon. Bake for 20 mins.

Once done add poached eggs, hollandaise and voila!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #20

:nauseated_face:. Sorry, you lost me at mushroom caps. Should have said I hate mushrooms. One of the only foods I can’t stand.