Egg Mayonnaise

(MooBoom) #1

Once you’ve made your own mayonnaise, you’ll wonder why you ever ate store bought. It is SO easy to do yourself, and far healthier! No refined over processed vegetable or seed oils, no preservatives, no thickeners- just real whole ingredients.

EQUIPMENT
Hand held blender (not beater!)
2 or 3 cup measuring jug
1 sterilised jam jar

INGREDIENTS
3 large egg yolks
1 tbsp Dijon or seeded mustard
1.5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1.5 cups best quality pure extra virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper
1/4 teasooon sugar free sweetener (optional)

METHOD
Tip yolks into the measuring jug.
Slowly pour olive oil on top of the yolks.
Allow to settle so oil forms a layer over yolks.
Immerse blender slowly until it is level and fully touching the bottom of the jar.

Hold blender steadily in place and switch on at low speed. Watch as the oil and egg begin to emulsify, then slowly tilt the blender and gently move it around until all of the egg and oil is emulsified.

Add remaining ingredients and blend well.
Taste- add additional seasoning as required (perhaps you might like a sharper mayo- add more vinegar if so).
If it’s a little bitter- add the sweetener.

Transfer mayonnaise to your sterilised jam jar, refrigerate and enjoy for 5-7 days. Too easy!!

Consider playing with other flavours- why not add some fresh herbs? Maybe some garlic? Use it as a base for tartare sauce? Thin out with a bit of lemon juice and enjoy as a salad dressing?

(Randy) #2

You can put all your ingredients in at once and blend with an immersion blender in about 20 seconds. :slight_smile:

(MooBoom) #3

Yep that works well for a whole egg mayo, but for my 3 yolk mayo I find I get a better result if I emulsify the eggs and oil first, then incorporate the additional ingredients second :blush:

(Randy) #4

Good to know. Thanks!!! :sunglasses: