Egg Fast

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #41

[quote=“Marshelle, post:40, topic:2932”]
I’m actually enjoying the Egg fast!
[/quote] You are enjoying Zero Carb (ZC) with your Egg Fast :sunglasses:. ZC is the absence of plant-based food. You can consume incidental carbs from dairy (e.g., cheese, HWC) and some carbs from seafood if you include those. Easy peasy.

(Marshelle) #42

I miss bacon!’:bacon:

(Marshelle) #43

Oh!! ZC is easy if that’s all it is. I can do without the plant based and actually remind myself to eat salad or broccoli because I am so enjoying Keto. When I’m done with the 5 day egg Fast, I will give it a try! Thanks for simplifying it!

(Marshelle) #44

I’m preparing myself for the days ahead. My 5 days end Sat and I usually skip breakfast and fast until after church Sundays. I hope I can land softly back into keto land.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #45

[quote=“Marshelle, post:42, topic:2932”]
I miss bacon!’:bacon:
[/quote] Consider the bacon fast, and I like to combine the egg fast and bacon fast :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

(Marshelle) #46

Will do!!!:bacon: :heart_eyes:

(Marshelle) #47

Becky, you are an angel!!! This looks like my kind of fun!!! I will transition from eggs and go back to keto and then the bacon fast will be waiting in the wings

(cj higgins) #48

I started the egg fast on Monday, so this is day 3. Will jump on scale tomorrow, (well not jump, that might be dangerous). I have pretty much stalled for a month now, playing with the same 1-2 pounds, gosh durned it!
I actually have been simmering a bone broth today, thinking of easing back to my keto WOE with the eggs and adding the bone broth to supplement.
I haven’t gone new recipe crazy, I did try the eggs in a cloud for lunch today. That was fun although of course for me you could call it “eggs spilled all over a cloud” since the yolks leaked out under the whites. Blah. It was good anyway

I want to start an egg fast next week (Mon-Fri). From what I’ve read, I’ve decided to follow:

At least 6 eggs per day.
At least 6 tablespoons of fat per day.
No more than 4 oz of cheese per day.
Seasonings and very low carb items for flavor (mustard, hot sauce, etc).
Keep electrolytes up.
Lots of water/tea (no soda).

Anything else? Any good recipes you’ve found?

(Andrew Anderson) #50

Some of the Facebook groups get down right religious about this so beware! I nearly got blocked mentioning duck fat.

1. Creme Fraiche is heavenly in an omelet
  2. If you like spice a bit of sriracha is a great change
  3. You can get creative with deviled eggs
  4. ibreatheimhungry.com has fun recipes for egg fasts like cream cheese pancakes!
  5. I would eat an extra egg not cooked in fat and put the butter in my coffee
    Egg fasts are fun and feel like a miracle macro when you follow those guidelines.

I did see the ibreatheimhungry page. I plan to make the crepes recipe there! I’m not going to join any of the egg fast FB groups. This is my journey (no matter the path I choose), I’m not really down with someone telling me how to eat/not eat. :smile:

One thing I’ve already decided to try is a chopped boiled egg (or two) sauteed in bacon nectar. I’m really looking forward to that. I did sliced in coconut oil and enjoyed them. I got to thinking chopped/diced would be even better since all the edges would get crispy. :bacon: :egg: :smiley:

(Arlene) #53

Egg salad is seriously yummy. I make mine with chopped dill pickles, but you could just as well use only the pickle juice for flavor. Chopped hard-boiled eggs, pickle juice, mayo, mustard. Yum

(G. Andrew Duthie) #54

Use caution with Sriracha, as I’ve checked and the ones I’ve checked contain sugar. May not be much, but when it comes to condiments I’m always leery of “hidden” carbs adding up. Frank’s Hot Sauce is another good option for kicking up the spice, and the kind I’ve gotten contains no sugar.

(roxanna) #55

When I was eating artificial sweeteners, I would just add it to the chili paste for homemade Sriracha.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #56

Good recipes are available on a number of sites; these two lists link to recipes on many blogs. These are great places to start building your egg fast recipe book and finding egg fast blogs

(Siobhan) #57

I decided to start an egg fast because of this thread. Mostly to shake things up and get me used to the idea of fasting in general (Ive done ef water fasts before but they’re rare and Im still not comfortable with it).

I’m hoping for 5 days, so wish me luck. Starting tonight

I’m starting in a couple days, Mon-Fri next week. I’m off Monday so hopefully I’ll get everything prepped and ready for the work week.

Thanks for the links @Becky, I’m building my pinterest board!

(Siobhan) #59

I’m on day 4! I am nearing my lowest weight now (which I had only gotten to via a 74 hour fast a month ago), I’m going to extend it to see if I get past that lowest point so I know it’s actually working and doing something.

I am unsure of why it works but I can make some guesses - it limits your protein AND carbs. Each day I’ve been around 50~ g protein and <10g carbs - it is likely that I usually eat too much protein and it is messing me up. Or maybe the woowoo about it helping your liver metabolize fat easier is true - who knows!
I am not sick of eggs yet, but I am also not eating them plain.
Mexican style omelette with hot sauce and sour cream, pizza style omelette with pasta sprinkle from penzeys and parmesan inside, cinnamon crepes, fettucine alfredo… all good.
Only downside is I went through all the cream cheese/cheese :cry: I will have to go get some more.
I am also missing bacon, pizza, etc… I think if this does work though I’ll just slowly replace the egg protein with meat protein (of the same protein gram amount) and keep carbs as low as possible, because if my protein was too high I don’t want to go back to that too-high amount.

Thanks for suggesting this!!!

p.s. a recipe to share

I just did 1 egg, 3/4 an oz of cream cheese, a drop of vanilla stevia, and some cinnamon, and I added 1 tbsp of cream to the butter sauce.

I made this recipe during my egg fast a couple of weeks ago and fell in love with it! I made it again even when I wasn’t fasting. She also has a Buffalo Omelette that’s really good. So was, to my amazement, her Fettuccine Alfredo recipe. I did not get tired of eggs during my 5 day fast. I did miss bacon :bacon: though!