Egg Fast

(Annemieke van der Veen) #1

Did anybody ever do an egg fast? I am considering doing one. Purpose is weight loss only, I have been on the same weight for some time now and would like to loose a few more pounds.

Egg Fast Recipes
I've been sick and gained some weight
(G. Andrew Duthie) #2

Haven’t tried it, but you might find this site useful in approaching it:

(Annemieke van der Veen) #3

Thanks!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #4

My pleasure.

And to be clear…I haven’t tried the egg fast. I have used some of the recipes from IBIH, including the caramel macchiato cheesecakes, which are quite good.

(Jacquie) #5

@Annemieke. I’ve never done one but there is a facebook group called Egg Fast - Stall = Breaker Diet. I think it follows Jimmy Moore’s protocol.

(bambiying2) #6

I did 2-5 day egg fasts in December. The first one I lost 8 pounds, but then immediately gained a couple back upon regular eating again. Then I did another one…not quite as much weight lost that time. Maybe 5-6 lbs, but again, gained some back due to Christmas. I’d say since I did them, I was able to keep off about 6 lbs total of what I lost. I only did it during work days because I doubted my ability to only eat eggs in my house while my family had other good stuff all weekend. There’s a FB group for it that is very supportive. I think I’m going to do another one, but probably a 4 day next week from Tues to Friday.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #7

I think gaining back some weight after any kind of fast is to be expected. The good thing is that it seems like you got a ratchet effect, in that you kept off a good bit of what you lost between the two egg fasts.

Good job!

(bambiying2) #8

Yes, I think that you are always going to gain some back. I feel that they did help me…I was kind of stuck and it got me unstuck. I think they help to get you back on track. I’ll tell you though…after 5 days of nothing but eggs and cheese, its really hard to control yourself with other foods, keto or not, when you go off the fast. Just remember to be careful on your re-feed if you can.

(Annemieke van der Veen) #9

Thanks, that makes sense :slight_smile:

You know, this thread reminds me of a “diet” my mom used to do every now and then. It was called the “Hard Boiled Egg Diet”. iirc the diet was hard boiled egg(s) for breakfast and lunch with steak and a salad dressed with oil/vinegar for dinner… for a week.

I just realized now, this is a keto “diet”. Everything old is new again. :slight_smile:

(suzanna) #11

I find myself recalling these kind of things too, like “diet plates” on menus in diners the late 60’s and 70’s. It was hamburger patty with tomato and lettuce with a side of cottage cheese. Everyone believed that To “reduce” one should be encouraged to give up sweets, bread and potatoes and eat steak and salad. Broth was encouraged as well.

I just finished my first egg fast last week. Went a little off the rails between Christmas and New Year’s and it was a great re-set. I lost 6 lbs in 6 days that I have kept off so far (slowly re-introducing other keto foods), but the best part was getting back to the basics. Even some meat and spinach felt like such a treat after eating only eggs, cheese, and butter for almost a week! I also recommend the IBIH blog. She has a bunch of recipes that sound great, but I just kept it simple. Good luck!

@Jbird71,
Thanks for mentioning this. I may consider testing the egg fast, but in the summertime when the eggs I get from farmers come from chickens scratching away at the green grass and bugs.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #14

I eat a lot of eggs anyway, most of my keto eating is like an egg fast. :joy::joy::joy:

Hey, that’s awesome! Super budget friendly.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #16

And that’s the main reason why I eat so many eggs. I can get 2 1/2 doz for 3.27 or as low as 2.67 sometimes.

Smart smart lady!

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #18

Pre-keto I used the egg fast frequently over a 2 year span, it broke stalls for me and I kept some of the weight loss off after returning to regular eating; however, over the long haul I regained the weight because I didn’t understand the science behind LC and keto.

If you like eggs give it a try. I found I did not need to follow the ridiculous rules of having to eat every few hours, eating quickly after waking, etc. I followed the FB group & they are strict, don’t talk about coloring outside the lines, but it’s worth it for the recipes. I didn’t care for boiled eggs pre egg-fast and now I luv them. I still eat a lot of eggs.

I’ve since found that Zero Carb (ZC), bacon experiment, egg fast, fat fast, and extended fasting are the only means that put my body in a weight loss mode. I lose inches on regular keto and lose pounds with fasting/restriction. I’ll add that I’m 50, extremely insulin resistant, and over 100 pounds from my goal so your n=1 could be different (e.g., YMMV). I’m on my 18th day of ZC and have dropped 13 pounds, a nice stall breaker!

Let us know how your experiment goes.

Wow @Becky, good for you on your progress.
Thanks for the advice…lots of good stuff there.
You mention Bacon Experiment…what is that…sounds enticing!

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #20

Yeah, I was the same way with boiled eggs before going keto. Now, boiled eggs are my go to.

Congrats!! :heart: