Egg Fast Fail

(Shromona Das) #1

Egg fasts are magic. They break stalls like anything. I’ve always relied on a good egg butter cheese fast and have had amazing results. Not this time though. I’ve stalled for four months now. I’m 5 feet two, 23 and 55 kgs. I used to be 45 minimum, on keto. Then I fell off of the wagon and gained 10 kgs. And have stalled. I’ve been back to keto proper for over three months now, and not a shift in the scale happened. I’ve been stalled for a good four months. Actually, even longer now that I’m writing about it. I gained some weight in the middle, lost two kgs and came back to 55 four months ago.
This is my third egg fast day, comprising of five free range organic brown eggs, 35 GMs of butter, two teaspoon of mayonnaise, and two slices of cheese (10gms each). My total carb is 7-8 GMs. And usually in three days I lose atleast a kg. At least an inch. Not this time. How to break the stall?
I should also mention that for the last five six months I have joined a good gym, have been physically active. When I was at my Lowest weight doing keto (42kgs) I was doing calorie restriction and omad and keto and I was very very weak. I didn’t work out at all. If I worked out, I immediately gained weight. I was so invested in the scale that I chose losing weight over getting healthy. I’ve come out of that mentality. Any reflection on whatever I’ve written so far?
Also- I feel like carnivore isn’t my thing.i love a bit of salad everyday. Not much, but a bit. But I feel like that’s also why I’m stalling. I need to break this.

(Raj Seth) #2

You are not eating nearly enough! I’m ballparkingt you eat about 800-900 calories
Why would your body give up it’s vital fat stores when it perceives you are in lean times!!

(Shromona Das) #3

Aaaahhh! That’s what… I should not lower my caloric budget. Yes you’re right. I think one of the pitfalls of tracking is that you keep on staring at you. Maybe it’s lowering my metabolism also.

(Shromona Das) #4

I meant, you keep staring at the caloric index.

Just add bacon? :bacon:

(George) #6

hmmm, are you getting full off of the 5 eggs, butter, mayo, and cheese?

I’m 5’9, 244lbs and did the egg fast for a week too, and I have to admit that a 5 egg omelette with cheese, mayo, and the couple pork rinds I added (just because I wanted to) was VERY filling for me

I do OMAD, and don’t consume all the calories my personal trainer friends tell me I should be consuming for someone of my size.

There’s a big difference between intentionally and unintentionally restricting. If that meal was making you full, then I wouldn’t worry about your calories being low. I always eat anywhere from 1300 to 1800 cals, UNintentionally, I just listen to my satiety signals.

I also wouldn’t be exercising very hard. That may affect weight loss if you’re going very intense and your cals are low. I lift weight 5 days/week, but for a max of 25 minutes each day

I suggest doing an extended fast in hopes of breaking the stall.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #7

You’ve answered your own questions here. The scale is just tool. It only tells one tiny part of the whole story. If you feel better and healthier and now have the energy to exercise instead of feeling “very, very weak” you’re on the right track. Your muscles and bones are getting stronger while you burn fat for fuel.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

This is very important. If you are putting on muscle and building bone density, you are are getting much healthier, no matter what your scale was telling you. Here’s a keto koan to ponder: Would you rather look like you’ve lost 10 kg and have the scale show no change, or lose those 10 kg and continue to look just as fat?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #9

Not necessarily true. I am at 800 calories a day and have lost 45 pounds in the last year.

(MooBoom) #10

Calorie restriction works… until it doesn’t.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #11

It’s been working for me for 61 years!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #12

107 pounds. High school weight.

(MooBoom) #13

That’s awesome it’s worked for you, but it’s important to recognise that’s also your individual n=1.
@Bibi doesn’t seem to be having much luck using calorie restriction as a tool- but then again those last few pounds do tend to stubbornly hang around! We all have to find what works for us.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #14

We all have to watch what we eat!

(Little Miss Scare-All) #15

107 pounds. Kindergarten weight.

Jk. I wasn’t that big in kindergarten. The last time I was 107lbs was definitely elementary school, embarassingly enough.:frowning_face:

(Bunny) #16

…why won’t it?

That’s why I love observing people’s dependence on that calorie macro counting thing or what ever the whatchamacallit is?

The so called laws of thermodynamics will run into a problem if it becomes not so thermodynamic anymore?

Variable switching from electrical to mechanical, to chemical within the human body; it’s not all that electrical as we would like to make it out to be when measuring the energy units in foods, it then becomes not so thermal without a wick on which a fire can burn?

(MooBoom) #17

Yes, @PaulL has very eloquently answered this on many occasions but yet- it persists! So here is his excellent explanation again :slight_smile:

(Alec) #18

Horse. Dead. Flog.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

There is this researcher, Stephen Phinney, M.D., Ph.D., who set out, many years ago, to prove Dr. Atkins wrong. Lo! and behold, he ended up discovering the biochemical basis for the Atkins diet. He even coined the term “nutritional ketosis,” to distinguish this healthy state of the body from diabetic ketoacidosis.

I discovered his lectures early on—they are part of the reason I went keto in the first place—because he gets invited to events sponsored by Low Carb Down Under (Dr. Rod Taylor from Australia and Dr. Jeffrey Gerber from the U.S.), and they put Dr. Phinney’s lectures up on their YouTube channel. Dr. Phinney explains a ketogenic diet much better than I can, and backs up every word with a reference to a scientific study. Anyone who wants to understand how the body responds to food would do well to start by watching a lecture by Dr. Phinney and checking out the studies he links to.

The saddest part about the whole thing is the fact that we need research by people like Dr. Phinney, in order to prove that eating the way our ancestors evolved to eat over a two-million-year period isn’t going to kill us.

(Alec) #20

But Paul, there’s no money in it. The status quo has lots of money in it… :rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth: