Egg Fast Fail

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

Truer words . . . :sob:

(hottie turned hag) #22

You and I are on one end of the bell curve a bit in that we’re so small (and in my case also sedentary) we really can do well (lose or maintain) on 800 or 1000 cals. I get what you’re saying because I too live it X55 years. Now some days I may have 3000 cal intake but then not eat for 48h or have only 200 next few days so averages out to p low over several days.

We don’t experience metabolic slowdown as another may on such low cals; goes to my statement I just happened to make -post- before seeing this post, about how highly individualized biochemistry is.

(Jennibc) #23

If you are going to restrict calories you can NOT do it everyday or your resting metabolic rate will slow. I think that when we get close to goal, we do need to start paying closer attention to intake vs. just macros - I was sitting about 12-14 pounds above goal for almost 3 months. Started paying closer attention to calories (which of course some people on here condemn but it’s working for me) and am now only 7 pounds above goal about five weeks later. That said, I eat lower calories one day and jump right back up to the roughly 1800 I was eating when I stalled. I wasn’t counting necessarily but that is what my body naturally settled at. So one day 1200-1300 the next day 1800, the following back to 1200-1300 and then 1800 and so on and so on. The hope is that my body won’t then adjust to the lower calorie level.

I’d decided to do that when I went and got my resting metabolic rate tested several weeks ago. It was slow - probably because of the severe calorie restriction I’d done over the years TRYING to drop weight but not being very successful. The woman testing it at the university where I had it done was a nutritionist and recommended I drop to 1100 a day. Nope! Not a chance.

(Cristian Lopez) #24

Just do regular fasting?

(Jennibc) #25

That’s fine if your body can manage it, but the most I can do is about 20 hours without food. I am middle aged and am still recovering from surgery.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #26

There must be some difference between trying to drop calories and feeling full on fewer. I agree if I started intentionally restricting now it would be bad news, but since I’ve always filled up around 1100 max I don’t think that would be a problem.

(traci simpson) #27

I’ve never been able to drop calories and be full.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #28

I worded that soooo badly! I meant to say that it is probably a bad thing to intentionally reduce calories, but, for instance, I have never been a big eater, so my caloric intake would be considered reduced by some, yet for me, it keeps me full. Does that make sense?

(Paulene ) #29

Perhaps this explains why people on a very low calorie diet for weight loss usually experience a slowing of metabolism, whereas people who have a very low calorie diet as a result of gastric bypass surgery do not experience a drop in metabolism.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #30

That makes a lot of sense.

(Tracy) #31

I’m confused about when to fast. Is fasting used to break a stall or does fasting or not eating enough calories cause your body to hold on to fat?

You did’t ask me but… It’s complicated. Low-calorie just makes me super hungry, it is totally useless for me. But it may break stalls for someone and it slows down metabolism for everyone as far as I know if we do it for a few days at least.
People do lots of interesting things to break stalls and we are different so the same thing won’t work the same for all of us.
Egg fast isn’t low-calorie unless we eat little, of course. I never did it, I know without trying it wouldn’t work for me, I would overeat (I need my eggs to satiation. or meat. cheese is less effective, fat doesn’t satiate me well) and that surely wouldn’t result in fat-loss. But people say it helped them, it’s surely possible, each to their own. Egg fast isn’t only not necessarily too low-calorie, it’s short so it can’t ruin metabolism like longer term starving. But it’s individual what is starving for someone, massive fat reserves tend to help a lot.