Effects of 7 days on an ad libitum low-fat vegan diet

(Bunny) #1

Looks like the fat is missing?

Discussion [Exerpt]: “…In contrast, prospective cohort studies have shown that low-carbohydrate diets increase all-cause mortality and the risk of cardiovascular events [22–24]…”

22. Fung TT, van Dam RM, Hankinson SE, Stampfer M, Willett WC, Hu FB. Low-carbohydrate diets and all-cause and cause-specific mortality: two cohort studies. Ann Intern Med. 2010;153:289–298. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-153-5-201009070-00003. [PubMed] [Ref list] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20820038/

24. Noto H, Goto A, Tsujimoto T, Noda M. Low-carbohydrate diets and all-cause mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. PLoS One. 2013;8:e55030. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0055030. [PubMed] [Ref list] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23372809/

THIS ARTICLE HAS BEEN CORRECTED.
See Nutr J. 2017 February 10; 16: 12.

Effects of 7 days on an ad libitum low-fat vegan diet: the McDougall Program cohort

John McDougall, Laurie E Thomas, […], and Katelin Mae Petersen

Abstract

Background

Epidemiologic evidence, reinforced by clinical and laboratory studies, shows that the rich Western diet is the major underlying cause of death and disability (e.g, from cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes) in Western industrialized societies. The objective of this study is to document the effects that eating a low-fat (≤10% of calories), high-carbohydrate (~80% of calories), moderate-sodium, purely plant-based diet ad libitum for 7 days can have on the biomarkers of cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes.

Methods
Retrospective analysis of measurements of weight, blood pressure, blood sugar, and blood lipids and estimation of cardiovascular disease risk at baseline and day 7 from 1615 participants in a 10-day residential dietary intervention program from 2002 to 2011. Wilcoxon’s signed-rank test was used for testing the significance of changes from baseline.

Results
The median (interquartile range, IQR) weight loss was 1.4 (1.8) kg (p < .001). The median (IQR) decrease in total cholesterol was 22 (29) mg/dL (p < .001). Even though most antihypertensive and antihyperglycemic medications were reduced or discontinued at baseline, systolic blood pressure decreased by a median (IQR) of 8 (18) mm Hg (p < .001), diastolic blood pressure by a median (IQR) of 4 (10) mm Hg (p < .001), and blood glucose by a median (IQR) of 3 (11) mg/dL (p < .001). For patients whose risk of a cardiovascular event within 10 years was >7.5% at baseline, the risk dropped to 5.5% (>27%) at day 7 (p < .001).

Conclusions
A low-fat, starch-based, vegan diet eaten ad libitum for 7 days results in significant favorable changes in commonly tested biomarkers that are used to predict future risks for cardiovascular disease and metabolic diseases.

Keywords: Low-fat diet, Vegan diet, Vegetarian diet, Hypertension, Cholesterol, Hyperlipidemia, Type 2 diabetes, Weight loss, Heart disease

Introduction

The primary goal of health care should be to decrease all-cause morbidity and mortality. In industrialized societies including those in the United States and Europe, the chief causes of death and disability are noninfectious chronic diseases: atherosclerotic vascular disease, epithelial cell cancers, type 2 diabetes, and autoimmune disorders [1]. The leading underlying cause of these diseases is the rich Western diet, with its emphasis on animal-source foods (i.e., meat, fish, eggs, and dairy foods) and fat-laden and sugary processed foods [2, 3]. These diseases are becoming increasingly prevalent in newly industrialized countries in Central America, South America, and Asia as they, too, adopt Western eating styles [4].

The burden of Western disease can be dramatically reduced by eliminating animal-source foods and vegetable fats from the diet and replacing those foods with low-fat, plant-based foods. When a food rationing system during World War I severely restricted the Danish population’s intake of meats, dairy products, fats, and alcohol but placed no restrictions on such foods as barley, bread, potatoes, and vegetables, Denmark achieved the lowest mortality rate in its history [5]. Similarly, the mortality due to diabetes in England and Wales decreased sharply while wartime food rationing in both World War I and World War II limited access to animal-source foods and fats, only to increase after the those foods became available again in peacetime [6].

A physician can help his or her patients achieve similar benefits by teaching them to eat a low-fat (≤10% of calories), high-fiber, high-carbohydrate (~80% of calories), purely plant-based (vegan) diet [7–14]. The goal of the present study is to document the improvements in biomarkers of the risk of cardiovascular and metabolic diseases that can be achieved within 7 days when patients are allowed to eat such a diet to satiety under medical supervision in an inpatient setting.

Methods

This study is a retrospective analysis of the records of patients who attended a physician-supervised 10-day residential program (the McDougall Program) from 2002 to 2011. This ongoing program used Internet marketing to attract patients from a wide geographic area to spend 10 days at a hotel in Santa Rosa, California, where they received dietary counseling and were fed a low-fat (≤10% of calories) diet based on minimally refined plant foods ad libitum to satiety. The educational staff included a medical doctor, a registered dietitian, a psychologist, exercise coaches, and cooking instructors. Patients were also given opportunities for light to moderate exercise. No stress reduction techniques or meditations were included in the program.

Medical workup
Upon admission, a standardized questionnaire was used to ask patients if they had any history of hypertension, coronary artery disease, diabetes, hypothyroidism, multiple sclerosis, hypercholesterolemia, or overweight. The patient’s age, sex, and ethnicity were also recorded.

A licensed medical doctor saw all patients on at least 3 occasions during the program, and blood pressure was recorded daily. At baseline, the physician took the patient’s history and performed a physical examination. The physician then recommended appropriate changes to each patient’s medications. Medications for hypertension and diabetes were reduced or discontinued at baseline in order to lessen the risk of hypotension and hypoglycemia. Cholesterol-lowering medications (statins) were continued throughout the program for those people taking this class of medication upon entering the program.

To facilitate analysis, the following data were recorded according to standardized methods at baseline and on day 7: weight, systolic and diastolic blood pressure, total cholesterol, triglycerides, glucose, blood urea nitrogen, and creatinine. After August 2006, HDL and LDL cholesterol were also measured at baseline and day 7. Body weights were measured with a Detecto® 6800 portable bariatric scale. Blood pressure readings were obtained by a trained operator, manually and/or using an Omron® professional sphygmomanometer. Blood tests were analyzed by using standard medical hospital laboratory procedures.

Menu design
The hotel’s kitchen staff prepared foods according to prescribed guidelines. No animal-derived ingredients (e.g, meat, fish, eggs, or dairy products) and no isolated vegetable oils (e.g, olive, corn, safflower, flaxseed, or rapeseed oil) were used. Meals were based around common starches, including wheat flour products, corn, rice, oats, barley, quinoa, potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans, peas, and lentils, with the addition of fresh fruits and non-starchy green, orange, and yellow vegetables. The macronutrient profile was roughly 7% fat, 12% protein, and 81% carbohydrate by calorie. Meals were served buffet-style, and participants were encouraged to eat to the full satisfaction of their appetite.

To ensure that the foods would be acceptable to palates accustomed to Western diets, small amounts of simple sugars, salt, and various spices were used in meal preparation. Sugar was included in condiment sauces (e.g, ketchup and barbecue sauce) and in the low-fat desserts that were served after evening meals. Patients could also add sugar to their cereal in the morning.

The kitchen staff used minimal salt, mostly in the form of soy sauce, when preparing the meals. The basic meal plan provided roughly 1000 mg of sodium per day. However, saltshakers were provided at meals, and participants were allowed to use regular table salt ad libitum on the surface of their foods for taste. We conclude that even if a patient added a total of a half-teaspoon of salt per day, the diet would still qualify as low-sodium (approximately 2 g of sodium daily). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4209065/#!po=60.2564

Could this bread be the answer to this Aussie’s LONGING for vegemite on toast?
(Rob) #2

G-D Vegans! :rage:

This mob of muppets spun the low-carb increases all-cause morbidity BS. Now they pretend that 7-days of veganism (and almost certain calorie restriction) can somehow extrapolate short term improvements to global health salvation.

In 7-days, nutritional deficiencies, metabolic impacts, hyponatremia (?) etc. can’t possibly be revealed, yet they claim that this diet has long term benefits (because they didn’t get much meat in the war… sigh, bangs head on table…)

I never would have thought that Vegans would be biggest enemy to freedom to choose healthy nutrition. I don’t resent veganism per se (I agree with many of their moral points) but their militant attempts to deny, derail and dismiss other MORE effective and healthy WoEs is infuriating!!! :rage:

(Randy) #3

(Michele) #4

tl:dr One thing I noticed was it was self selection. ie the subjects responded to internet advertising. From a scientific perspective this doesn’t bode well for robust results (if I remember my science and stats correctly.)

(Bunny) #5

Not really interested in the politics of this! What really ignited my curiosity about this particular research study, is the amount of starch consumed in this particular diet (the reason I posted this) and the result? It leaves me with more questions about what the reverse switch is, in this type of metabolic process? (e.g. I can eat potatos and bread and it does not kick me out of Ketosis, why is that?)

I am sooooo like wondering if it has something to do with the type of sugar (saccharides) in everything!

High levels of physical exertion (how fast glycogen storage is being depleted and replenished)?

I mean, all you have to do, to skew the results on anything is add or subtract the sugar or type of sugar or carb types consumed[1] (e.g. use of flour within 48 hours of being milled from wheat and barley?)?

[1]”…When a food rationing system during World War I severely restricted the Danish population’s intake of meats, dairy products, fats, and alcohol but placed no restrictions on such foods as barley, bread, potatoes, and vegetables, Denmark achieved the lowest mortality rate in its history…”

The other is placebo or paradox? (e.g. what I mean by this, is, if I wanted to do a research study, I could not participate in the research itself, because I would effect the outcome as well as the participants knowledge about the intent of the research, which can have psychosomatic factors?)

Just one of those things that make you go hmmm?

These Doctors, Dieticians & Scientists really confuse matters when they disregard one thing in place of another with-out really investigating it further (very peculiar?) and makes me think, it is because they are lazy and/or want to sell their book in lieu of financial hardship, hoping nobody will catch it?

(Karen) #6

I don’t know. The human body is wonderfully complex. We can live on so many things. If the vegan is eating healthy green veggies, healthy fats, enough proteins, they should be fine. But not a medical person.

K

(Brian) #7

I agree, Karen!

I see too many people that want to draw the lines of healthy vs unhealthy at vegan, vegetarian, lacto-ovo vegetarian, omnivore, carnivore, and probably a dozen other places in between. I’m coming to the conclusion that the lines of healthy vs unhealthy don’t belong there at all.

I see the potential for a healthy person in almost all of those groups. It depends upon what they eat. A person can eat potato chips and drink Mountain Dew all day long and they’re technically a “vegan”. I don’t think anyone in any of those groups would call that a healthy diet. But it’s still vegan.

And I agree with one of the posts above that mentions that fact that negatives can take a lot longer than 7 days to show up. I’ve read through some of the reviews and comments left on various websites, like where McDougall sells his books, where people have followed his program religiously (word chosen intentionally), and done OK for a while and then had trouble with rising blood sugar, rising blood pressure, rising weight, and things that are not supposed to be happening, at least according to the book they’ve bought. Those kinds of comments are often buried way down on the page but can be found if one goes looking.

1. The was no control group, spending couple of days in a hotel in Santa Rosa could show benefit in some markers regardless of diet.
  2. Again, no control group - the “light to moderate exercise” is another confounder.
  3. The diet is compared to baseline, which likely being SAD is not a very high standard. Almost any change to SAD is likely to be a positive one.

So imho the title should be “Effects of 7 days of holidays, exercise and and libitum low-fat vegan diet”