Could this bread be the answer to this Aussie’s LONGING for vegemite on toast?

(Ashley) #8

There’s many versions of Keto, some are purists, some do things for convience. I do mayo that has soybean oil and have checked and am in ketosis. Every person is different.

The Aldi one has less carbs.

(Martha Mac) #10

At less than 20gms of carbs a day and only 1 slice wanted by me it’s fine by me! Fits my macros just fine

(Martha Mac) #11

I’m doing fine with my regular 3.5mmol\L right now on my blood readings so I’m going to say - how’s about we chill out a bit here with the “this is keto friendly and this isn’t keto friendly dogma”. It’s fine for me and it will no doubt be fine for others - then again there will be some who it doesn’t go so fine with. It’s an individual’s journey last I checked? No?

(Martha Mac) #12

Just came off my weekly 36 hour fast and it was a blissful way to end the evening I must say. All 10grams of carbs and 1 tablespoon of Ballantyne Butter along with it has satiated me wonderfully and I could do that once a week happily after fasting I’m sure with no issues. Time will tell. I will be sure to report back any adverse effects. I’ll also test my blood ketones again soon and see how they were effected as well. I rarely drop lower than 1.2 mmol/L though even after eating a sweet potatoe once just experimenting with how things effect my blood keytone levels. I’m big on self experimentation :slight_smile:

(Bunny) #13

The following was written by Dr. W. T. Fernie, M.D. in the year 1907, a very remarkable man with surgical precision insight and a fondness for occultic sciences:

“… But now-a-days, so as to produce white bread for fastidious consumers, by the modern processes of roller-milling, the wheat germ is purposely left out therefrom. A supposition is advanced that the oil which is contained so abundantly in the germ is apt to become rancid, and to spoil the flour; also that at the same time the soluble proteids which are present in the germ, being apt to act upon the starch of the flour, serve to convert part thereof into soluble dextrin, and sugar; these darkening the colour of the bread in the oven. …More image

What’s in your bread (bleached flour/alloxan)? “…Alloxan, or C4 H2O4N2, is a product of the decomposition of uric acid. It is a poison that is used to produce diabetes in healthy experimental animals (primarily rats and mice), so that researchers can then study diabetes “treatments” in the lab. Alloxan causes diabetes because it spins up enormous amounts of free radicals in pancreatic beta cells, thus destroying them. …” …More

Bread can be keto friendly if you see this message on your local bakeries website?

Your eating this type (above) of bread for it’s nutritional nature…

Flour is used; “…within 48 hours of being milled/ground?”

When no refined or heavily processed foods are are involved the following (below) are probably ‘whole foods’ (e.g. wild rice; asian people and slender build[2]) and most likely no, to very very low sugar intake (e.g. natural fructose in fruits):

“… When a food rationing system[1] during World War I severely restricted the Danish population’s intake of meats, dairy products, fats, and alcohol but placed no restrictions on such foods as barley, bread, potatoes[2], and vegetables, Denmark achieved the lowest mortality rate[1][2] in its history …” …More

Footnotes:

[1] “rationing system” grains could have likely been used within 48 hours of being milled?

[2] Cahill cycle:

What advice would you give to your newbie keto self?
(Charlotte) #14

Just because it isn’t you-approved doesn’t mean it’s not keto-approved. Everyone’s keto is different. For plenty of folks, “keto-friendly” just means “it fits my macros.” Nothing wrong with that at all! Everyone should follow whatever version of keto works best for them, even if it might not work for someone else. KCKO! :slight_smile:

(Cynthia Anderson) #15

If you cut the crust off you can lower the carbs even more.

(Brian) #16

I’m curious, does the crust have something the rest of the loaf doesn’t?

(Brian) #17

Here’s my issue with the concept…

When we take whole wheat kernels or berries and grind them in our own mill to make flour out of them, we have taken that wheat and turned it into a refined and heavily processed ingredient. Even though we might be eating all of the grain and not taking anything away from it, we’ve destroyed the physical structure of the individual grain. It’s no longer our bodies seeing these individual berries of wheat and working on them. We’ve pulverized them and ground them up such that digestion of starches is a quick and easy process, not nearly the process involved in breaking down those individual grains.

If I’m wrong about that, I’m glad to be corrected. I would love to enjoy my fresh homemade bread made with fresh ground wheat again. I’ve never tasted anything like it. But I have believed it’s quite high in carbs and not something I need to be eating. So I don’t make it anymore.

This is what makes me worry!

(Cynthia Anderson) #19

I don’t know
I don’t like crust.
I don’t know how dense the bread in question is.

When I was doing cico I discovered about half the calories in white bread are in the crust. This is because it is more densly packed with no air bubbles.

I weighed the bread then cut off the crust. Crust less breadleft weighed about half of what a normal slice did.

(Bunny) #20

Heavily Processed is bleaching it then adding a bunch of man made chemical rich preservatives then trying to refortify it with unnatural man made vitamins.

Milling grains yourself is not “heavily processing” a substance because you know exactly what’s in it, where it was grown (organic?) and if it is a Monsanto GMO?

…and the reason it has to be used within 48 hours of being crushed/milled or the nutritional value of the germ oils dry up and dies or turns rancid/oxidizes!

(Bunny) #21

That’s the chemical structure of Alloxan, what the flour bleachers don’t want you to know about!

Why I would steer clear of white bread i.e. white bleached flour? …then we throw bleached refined sugar in it? …and then we wonder what causes diabetes?

It is a dam shame we live in a world where we are more concerned about aesthetic appearance of a bread or pastry then for our own health even if it kills us dead? It should be ILLEGAL to create a iron curtain on this subject but the grain and pharmaceutical industries have too much invested and a lot to lose if they tell you the truth, they must keep us fools dependent on the insulin and processed foods with the hand shake system and keep the bread and donuts nice and pretty to our eyes and bellies so we will consume it without question?

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #22

Lol, my comment wasn’t intended to sound rude.
You can have whatever bread you want on your journey!
I’ve had many conversations where people have posted a similar type bread and were horrified to discover it didn’t conform to the strict keto diet they were trying to achieve. I wasn’t assuming that’s what you were doing etc. I am sorry if I came off a little harsh.

I am glad you have found something you enjoy!

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #23

I agree Charlotte, as I said, I did not mean to sound rude at all.

(Jane ) #24

We have a bread company near me called Pigs Fly bread. They make a low carb wheat bread. 5 ingredients only, smaller slice, quite dense. 5g carbs. I keep a loaf in the freezer so that when i have the urge to throw my wagon off the cliff after lighting it on fire i will have a slice toasted with PB or with my eggs and that alone will keep me from diving face first into a loaded pizza. Is it perfect? No. But dont let perfection get in th way of progress.

(Martha Mac) #25

I can see how that would happen here mate! Totally understand :slight_smile: Just don’t be dissing on my toast man! You cannot take my toast away from me!!! Hahahahaha sound like an addict don’t I!! Hahahahaha! Whatever you do don’t separate me from toast!! Too funny! I mean at the end of the day it’s just TOAST! But I also get it that for some people it’s not “just toast” and it can be increadibly detrimental to their health! So yeah I can see what you’re about and why and respect that.

Truth be told, my tummy hasn’t enjoyed the toast too much at all and it will no doubt be a few months more before I give in to my vegemite on toast cravings and end up with a bloated belly again! Gluten free or not, this stuff does give me some digestive issues I have not had for months so - it’s something to be aware of when making informed choices about what we put in our mouth :slight_smile:

Cheers and KCKO!

(Martha Mac) #26

Hahahahaha exactly! When I throw my wagon off a cliff and light it on fire (and that’s WHEN not IF) I at least want to stay as lc as possible! :joy:

(Martha Mac) #27

See below comment - I get it and respect it :+1: