EF - how to gain minimal weight ending and continue losing afterwards

(Joel ) #1

Hi All,

I have Aspergers and as somewhat related very low energy levels. I am particularly prone to ‘falling off the wagon’ when those energy levels dip even lower.
I have done keto off and on before, tired IF, both of which definitely work, especially in conjunction, but I have been thinking how can I drop enough weight relatively quickly, to allow me to then keep up the weight loss, continue keto and get to a point where I have enough energy to keep exercising most days.

I am 6’2", was 118kg, now around 112kg at day 8 of a water fast. I’m not sure how long to go for but was thinking 14 days, hopefully get to 106/107kg.

So my question is then, what should I do from here on to get me under 100kg (somewhat quickly) and avoiding putting on too much weight refeeding. Does this sound good?
Day 15: refeed one meal (keto, keeping keto from here on in)
Day 16: 16:8 IF - 2 meals (still calorie restricted)
Day 17: 16:8 IF - 2 meals (still calorie restricted)
Day 18: 16:8 IF - 2 meals (still calorie restricted)
Day 19 or so - now start slowly ramping up calories to 2000-2100 while exercising every day.

TIA for your help.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

I would expect you to be less likely to suffer from low energy levels if your caloric were adequate. Our general advice is to eat to satiety, since the body resists parting with its resources when it thinks there is a famine going on. It would seem that if you were getting enough food, you’d be able to go several hours between meals without losing energy. For some reason, the body appears to react differently to fasting from how it reacts to reduced calories.

(Joel ) #3

Yeah it’s not really that though. It’s mostly mental and part just being overweight. I’m trying to at least get rid of the overweight factor.

But overall I assume you’re suggesting to get back to full calories asap?

You shouldn’t gain any fat eating only 2000-2100 kcal with these stats and exercise. Except if you have some unusually slow metabolism…
I would eat according to my hunger and satiation. A long EF is already helpful, I imagine, your plan seems unnecessarily strict but we are different, maybe it works for you? But don’t stay hungry. If you need more food than your allowance, eat more. My body has good signs, I trust it, I don’t know if you feel what your body actually needs. But if you slowly ramp up calories to 2000-2100, where do you start? It shouldn’t be too low but I can’t possibly know what is too low for you. I would let my body guide me. Don’t be too impatient, you probably can lose fat at a decent pace healthily and comfortably.

A 14 days fast is already long, I always do short ones and I don’t know how to refeed after such a long one, it’s individual too to some extent, even if it’s short but many people need to refeed it slowly, not eating one bigger meal right away. Do what works for you, again but if you isn’t familiar with longer fasts, be careful.

(Ken) #5

I always enjoy it when people who have no conception of or experience with nutritional requirements for losing fat while training offer up their Sage Advice.

The protocols for this have been well established for a couple of decades now, are tried and true, but are often ignored and dismissed by Keto Noobs who think they know best. It’s a very silly situation, except for the fact they often or usually give the wrong advice.

For specific information on Keto when training, I suggest you view the Keto Subforum on Bodybuilding.com. I was there myself for over a decade back when I was training, and the Subforum has been around for a couple of decades now since Keto was originally developed for Bodybuilders.

(Joel ) #6

So finished up on day 12 of the fast, did IF 16:8 for the rest of the week at between 1600-2000 calories. Ended up weighing 1.5kg heavier than I did on day 12. I think that’s pretty reasonable.

(Ken) #7

That’s well within the range of your Glycogen storage capacity. So, you were in Maintenance rather than anywhere near Lipogenesis.