Educate me on steak

What’s a recommended snack for keto?

(Marianne) #22

Congratulations on your cancer reversal!

When going out, I love bacon cheeseburgers with blue cheese (minus the bun). At home, we eat a lot of pork steaks - love them.

Pork steaks have a lot of fat. I have been cutting it off the steak, fileting it, and then cooking it in the same pan. It is delicious when you get a good sear on it. Then we eat a little piece of that with each bite of pork (which already has fat on it). I like to cook pork steaks to 145, which at that temperature, you can’t get a good sear on the pure fatty parts unless you cut them off the steak.

(Alec) #23

The standard recommendation is not to snack. But if you do, make it something really fatty (to avoid any insulin).

(George) #24

It’s best not to snack. You want to eat enough during your actual meals to get you through to the next meal, and no late night (post-dinner) snacking either, you want to keep insulin low while you sleep. Make sure you’re really getting satisfied with your meals. After you get used to that, a good idea would be to play with your intermittent fasting window. Not eating after 6pm like you currently are is great, but down the line maybe push your 9am start time to a 12pm start time, and use coffee with heavy cream or other versions of bulletproof coffee in the A.M to get you to lunchtime.

I believe Dr. Fung said in an interviewee that he initially did that to aid in his transition to IF, he’d use coffee as a sort of “bridge” to get him to the start of his eating window. I followed this idea and it worked, but everyone is different and you should definitely attempt these things when you feel you’re ready. It may not work for everyone, but I went from almost 300lbs in January to 238 a few days ago just following the simple steps

I’ll go against what others have said and I do snack yet, not every day but I like having things around if I feel like I want something in the afternoon or at night. I keep hard boiled eggs on hand, several kinds of block cheese, (right now I’m working my way through a block of Trader Joe’s Unexpected cheddar-so good!), red bell peppers with ranch dressing, for when I feel like something crunchy, full fat Greek yogurt, (I’m loving Icelandic style yogurts right now), and then I love Halo Top’s strawberry cheesecake bars. Not great ingredients I know, but I enjoy a bit of a sweet treat at night and I can easily fit in the 8g net carbs from it, so it’s a pretty small thing that makes me happy :slight_smile: I also love Wonder’s Sweet Chili shell-on pistachios. Having to take the shells off first makes the snack last longer and is a satisfying little project, this has become my go-to snack most days after I do my 2 mile walk. A 1/2c serving is 5g net carbs.

(George) #26

If you feel you must snack, I think it’s okay if you’re starting out but the ultimate goal is get away from that habit. I slowly phased out snacking while feeling my body adjust to the change. The biggest thing I noticed (on the scale) was cutting out eating after dinner. I’d usually have 3 or 4 tbsp of peanut butter while washing dishes just because I kept it (and other snack items) around. Once I stopped buying snack items (especially the peanut putter, since that was the last to go), I noticed a difference on the scale. My favorite, other than peanut putter, were pork rinds. So I still buy and consume them pretty often since theyre keto friendly, but I make sure to have it with my meal, just to satisfy the craving for something crunchy lol

I’m actually trying to stop the weight loss right now, so snacking is a good way to get in some extra food, but yeah if someone is trying to lose weight than their situation might be different :slight_smile:

I’ve never tried pork rinds before, I might have to pick up a bag sometime just to see what they’re about!

(George) #28

Oh well in that case snack on and do whatever you have to to maintain!

I wish I was at that phase, but I’m only halfway there LOL.

They’re great, especially crushed and mixed with parm cheese, and coating your chicken with it.

I’m a bit of an odd duck here and was already in maintenance when I stumbled onto LCHF last month. Kind of started it on a whim, to shake things up in maintenance, and instead fell head over heals in love with it and have no desire to go back to my old way of eating. However, the combination of the initial water-weight ‘whoosh’, along with a natural reduction in calories due to the insane appetite suppressant of LCHF macros split, has caused me to drop weight, to the point where I’m starting to get uncomfortable with my numbers. Though, I’ve just discovered ghee and am using it on everything, so I anticipate my weight stabilizing very soon :sweat_smile:

(hottie turned hag) #30

^^^^^you know you’re on a keto forum when ^^^^
:rofl:

(George) #31

LOL I wish I was having that problem!!

I just started making/using ghee too (yesterday actually), but I’m hoping it aids in weight loss since the milk solids are removed from it. Either way, it smells and tastes great!

(hottie turned hag) #32

PORK RINDS and in dip, even better.
Crunchy, salty and simply amazing.
They’re on my forbidden list as I cannot eat less than an entire bag all at once.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #33

Try plain and flavored. My family is split. I like both. I like the plain better however. I dip a little in sour cream.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #34

I don’t really snack very often, but I do when my husband walks in the door with pork rinds.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #35

Over a week I are the better part of one of those large containers from the big box store and lost weight. I’m not sure I understand this keto thing we do but I do love it.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #36

Yeah, my neighbor says most “dieters” look weak and unhealthy. She has declared me robust.

(PSackmann) #37

For me, the number one between-meal is a pinch of salt between my cheek and gum. Second is a nice pat of butter with salt sprinkled on it. Third is either avocado or cream cheese. One of those will generally get me over that peckish feeling that sometimes comes on, even now.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #38

Your meal looks fine. Broccoli and green beans are about the same carbs per half cup cooked. Green beans are actually less than broccoli. That looks like about 5 net carbs. Don’t worry about too much protein. Eat enough to satisfy your hunger with adequate fat. You really only need to limit your carb intake and not worry about protein and fat macros. You’re appetite will regulate how much of these you’re eating soon enough. Right now let your body adjust to the dietary change and get very comfortable with running on fat. Soon you will be fat adapted and comfortable going longer without food. You can close that 9 hr. eating window down to 6-8 hrs with two meals and no urge to snack. I know lots of this was already mentioned. :cowboy_hat_face:

Don’t need to snack much these days.

But might use a keto snack as a strategy before a food sharing social gathering that may not be keto friendly.

I have to drive a lot. Usually I would eat a boiled egg as a snack.

In the car I have beef jerky or biltong on hand.

(Paul H) #40

If you gotta snack make it FATTY… Coconut oil straight up! Pork Rinds have a lot of flavors available! Bacon! Fat Bomb! I found that the nuts are kinda scary being soo easy and tastey you tend to over comsume…Even the beloved Macadamia…All in moderation so find the super fatty satisfaction. Nothing wrong with being satisfied.