Eating Well-Rounded

(Retta Stephenson) #42

I’m cracking up over my ignorance! I just re-read the label, and it is not a shank. What I bought was actually a boneless leg of lamb! duh… Today I’ll do like you wrote: sear and roast. Thanks!

I have befriended a farmer and his wife who raise 100% grassfed lamb. I purchased ribs for $4/# and she gave me a bunch of bones for free including their joints which make a rich, nutrient dense broth. After simmering for 72 hours, the bones are so soft that I can chew them up and swallow. The lamb bones are much more flavorful as compared to the large beef or bison bones. A little chalky. The marrow of course comes out in the broth, but I manage to use a shishkabob skewer to dig out even more. Marrow is delicious! I always roast my bones with salt and pepper 425 deg.F for about 20 min. before putting them into a pot with just enough water to cover. Make sure you scrape all the melted fat from the roasting pan into your soup pot. Then put 1T or so of ACV into the water and let sit for 20 min. or so before turning on the heat. The ACV helps draw out minerals from the bones. I use the thick, fatty broth on salads, other meats, and just warmed in a cup.

$4.99 is a good price for lamb shanks. My farmer charged $8.