Eating too few calories?

(Ellen) #1

I’ve been keto for about 2 months now and loving it, I understand that CICO is rollocks but I’ve kinda drifted into IF and the odd accidental EF, but I’ve read a few posts stating that you need to properly feast after a fast otherwise you lower your BMR, is this correct? I did a 48hr fast that I broke with a cheese burger, half a tomato and a big dollop of mayo, I worked out the calories to be around 750 then as I wasn’t hungry didn’t eat until dinner the next day, which was the same thing although I could only manage about half of it (I did peel off the cheese and mop up the mayo with it to help up my fats), so not even 400 calories. Am I doing it wrong, do I really need to up the cals???

All advice welcome!!!

(Carpe salata!) #2

Sounds good. :slight_smile:
Listen to your body, eat if you’re hungry. It’s great to find out what that actually means eh.

(Chris) #3

^^ This right here. If you can’t stuff any more in, then don’t. Also, sometimes I’m less hungry when breaking a fast, sometimes more. Like everything involved with fasting, it comes in waves.

(đ૯αท ʍ૯ઽƬѳท) #4

I’ve been stalled for months, in fact I gained a few kg.

I increased my caloric intake to match my calculated Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) and used carbs as 20g, protein as 80g (1g per kg lean body weight) and enough grams of fat to equal my TDEE in calories.

Weight has begun going back down.

(VLC.MD) #5

Don’t eat when not hungry if your goal is weight loss.

(Ellen) #6

Thanks All, trying to learn to listen to my body, but glad I don’t need to force feed myself if not hungry!

(Mike W.) #7

I prefer to feast BEFORE my fast.

(VLC.MD) #8

#feast is a trend.

Seems like an alcoholic thinking the best way to reduce alcohol is to go on a bender.

Quite possible that analogy is wrong.

How do you feel it works for you ?

(Mike W.) #9

That’s a strange analogy… but to answer your question I feel great. It lets my body know that it will always have plenty of energy coming in, whether that’s from food or my own body.

(Carpe salata!) #10

Alcohol is not (despite popular culture) an essential nutrient. Delicious fat and protein are. It’s nice to feast and build up the basal metabolism before fasting :slight_smile:

(VLC.MD) #11

My apologies, bad analogy. Anyone have a better one ?

Does the feast impact your macros ? What qualifies as a feast ? Eat to satiety … and then add 1,000 calories of fat ? meat ? whatever fancies you ? What is your usual length of fast ? Other than just the theory (“It lets my body know that it will always have plenty of energy coming in”) what personal experiences or feelings could help encourage someone to try it ? Sorry for all the questions, ima noob. :alien:

(Carpe salata!) #12

Don’t know. But I do OMAD often with no issues. One day I will skip dinner … that will result in a 36hr fast right there. One day.

(VLC.MD) #13

One meal a day ? /just guessing. I think it got it. :sunglasses: I might OMAD today as I fasted today. or 2MAD, but not SAD / 3MAD / TMAD.

(Carpe salata!) #14

^5. You’re up with the lingo now. :smiley:

(VLC.MD) #15

/blush.
Thanks.

Dear Emoji-Wan Kenobi image

is fasting NoMAD ?

Sincerely,

Keto Jedi Knight Lite

:avocado:

(Lee Jones) #16

I find myself in a very similar situation Ellen.

Ive been ‘listening to my body’ for the past 6 months or so and have completely stalled and seen my testosterone levels plummet. I’m also struggling with chronic fatigue, weakness, low libido etc and think maybe my metabolism is so deranged that the interface that regulates my appetite is badly broken.

When I feast before the fast I find myself hungrier than normal the next day. What does your feast typically look like? Maybe it is the makeup that is the difference?

(Ellen) #18

Hi Lee, have you been to the Dr about all that? I’ve not had those symptoms, well no more than usual, hope you get yourself sorted.

I have found the opposite. I try to eat more fat the day or two before and you sort of get to a point when you feel very satisfied and the next morning you are even less hungry than usual. That is when you start the fast. I do not eat pork so am more limited than some in my fats. I love dairy fats and nuts so eat those before a fast as well as more guacamole and cauliflower and other vegetables in cheese. I do not increase protein because of gluconeogensis.

@VLC.MD the idea came from some of @carl experiences feasting and fasting as relayed on his podcasts and some of the ideas expressed by Megan Ramos when she was interviewed by Carl and Richard and elsewhere as well. It is a well known idea to feast before the fast and keep your body at guessing