Eating for hunger vs. Eating from boredom

I think the hardest thing in all of this has been learning when I’m hungry versus learning when I want to eat for the sensation of eating.
How do you tell the difference and how do you control yourself when you’re so used to eating whenever you want?

(Jacquie) #2

I posted this in another thread. You might find it helpful. I did. :slight_smile:

Yes, this is a toughie. It is something you have to work on. I am in the process of therapy trying to get to the root of problems and reasons for things like depression and emotional eating. What I have found with keto though is that the reduction in cravings does help. Of course there is nothing it will do for the comfort eating type cravings but I think a lot of our cravings get confused. Is it comfort we need so we turn to food or is it a craving caused by carbs that then links into emotions? Gradually, I have found the situation to improve the longer I am eating keto. We get locked in these cycles where one thing feeds on another. If you can find a way in at any point, you can start tackling the issues and weaken the hold the cycle has over you.

My advice is not to think about having to “control yourself”. Just go with what you feel even if you are not sure whether it is physical or emotional hunger. Make sure everything you eat is keto so that even if you feel like you are eating way more one day than you need to, it is all on track. Gradually I think you will find that the frequency and intensity of reaching for food will decrease. Give it time. Be kind to yourself and see what happens.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #4

I don’t have an answer for this, other than to say that it’s especially hard for those of us who work from home, since the kitchen is always just a few steps away.

Best tactic I’ve found is intermittent fasting, because then I know when I plan to eat, and when I’m not eating. Otherwise, I tend to graze throughout the day, and so even if I’m eating consistently keto foods, there’s still a rise in insulin, which seems (in me, at least) to prevent effective fat burning.

(Becky Searls) #5

K[quote=“Daisy, post:3, topic:6064”]
Is it comfort we need so we turn to food or is it a craving caused by carbs that then links into emotions?
[/quote]
THIS. I think probably it’s both at different times. E.g. Tonight I was going to visit a friend and bringing her dinner. I was at about 48 hours into a fast and kinda wanting to continue that for 2-3 more days but then I felt sort of triggered by stress of how weird it would be not to eat while she ate, etc. more of a me problem than anything but really reminded me of 1) how social eating is and 2) how real stress response can be in triggering grehlin (sp?)

Overall though I think @daisys advice to be kind to yourself, especially when you slip up, is key.

(Kathy L) #6

I think social situations are one of the biggest hurdles. One of the best ways for me to avoid the “oh, you can have a little bit of this (carbage) once in a while” is to say “No thank you, I’m not hungry.” it is definitely a struggle for me. And I bring keto options with me when gathering with family & friends.

(Arlene) #7

Keto has helped me with this a great deal. When I think I’m hungry, for whatever reason I tell myself to go ahead and eat, however it’s got to be meat. Here’s the thing; I have found that if I’m really hungry, meat sounds great and I enjoy eating it to the last bite. If I’m just wanting to chew something for emotional reasons, or any reason other than hunger, meat just doesn’t sound good to me. I realize immediately that I’m not really hungry. Go get a drink of water and do something else to change the train of thought.

(Kathy L) #8

I have learned that meat also has carbs ( took me a while to figure out those need to be counted too) if I’m feeling I just need to eat, maybe when I’m not really hungry, I’ll have a couple slices of cheese w/butter. Much lower in carbs than meat in my experience.

(Dustin Cade) #9

Keto is a learning process, as I get further along being keto I am better able to control my eating. Patience is huge in Keto.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #10

This ^^^^ !

Whether with allowing changes in eating habits to cement, or whether waiting out a stall as your body consolidates progress and prepares for the next hill, patience is an absolute must. It’s hard, because there are periods of amazing progress, and then it can feel like you hit a wall. But you’ll get there with patience.

(Michelle) #11

This is a great question. I wondered about this too when I started eating Keto. I work from home most days, and before Keto I would do IF almost every day, in order not to “graze”. But I found when I did eat (protein, carbs, fat), then it opened up the floodgates for food. Sometimes I would just keep eating beyond full. I would eat because I like the taste. I would eat because I just fasted for 18 hours and I would tell myself I needed the fuel. I would make excuses. My blood sugar, of course, would spike, and then I found myself reaching for ice cream bars every night. Was I hungry?? nope, but I wanted the taste. It was yummy. I would tell myself, well, I’m full, but that was so tasty I can have one more. I mean one more is not going to make that much of a difference. And ice cream melts, so certainly there’s room in my stomach for a little more liquid!!!

Since going Keto, I pay close attention to what my body is telling me. I feel like the hunger/satiety hormones are now working!!! I have yet to eat “beyond full” like I used to. When I get hunger pangs now, they are not the ones where “I am going to shrivel up and DIE if I don’t eat in 20 min” type of hunger. They are more like, wow, I may be getting hungry. Better figure out what I’m going to eat today. And I can wait an hour or more before I eat. Once I eat, I always ask myself, was that enough? Am I satiated? Still wanting food? If so, then I eat a little more fat until all that gets squashed away and I feel good.

My advice is to constantly check in with yourself and see if your hormones are on track. Keep fat high and carbs low, and everything falls into place. I haven’t had a craving for sweets or wine while on Keto ( I cut out all sugar and sugar substitute), so my blood sugar has become very stable. No spikes, no cravings. Remember, a craving is not hunger, it’s your mind telling you that you should reach for the carbage. Hunger is different than cravings!!

Good luck!!

(betsy.rome) #12

Um, what kind of meat carbs are you talking about? Is it processed?

Carbs in meat? Sorry…what cuts of meat are you referring to?

(Josh Close) #14

Too much protein will spike your insulin just like carbs will. I believe that’s what she’s referring to.

(Kathy L) #15

I always thought ( & counted) most meat had zero carbs - but, for example, according to Cronometer, a beef ribeye cap steak (they had more of a description) has 1.6 carbs for a 3 oz serving. A natural casing wiener has 1. Is that wrong? Some bratwurst or sausages also have carbs (& I have them occasionally) not saying they are my main diet -just that I always figured most meats as zero. & little carbs do add up @ I DO need to be aware & count them!

Typically, a piece of meat, like a beef steak or a chicken thigh, has no carbs. But, what happens sometimes is introduction of carbs in the preparation. A good example is the brining of poultry. Their are brines made with salt and spice alone, while others using a couple of cups of cane sugar.

If you get the meat from a butcher, or butchery section of your grocery store, and they can say that there has been no funny business in preparation, then you can call it all zero carbs.

Now, when it comes to the other stuff, like sausages, wieners, flavoured ground meats, ready-to-cook marinated meats, etc…you are definitely correct that you have to go by the ingredient list on the package, as a lot of the flavourings can contain sugar, honey, syrups, etc.

But, for the most part…buying meat (beef, chicken, pork, lamb, etc) without any preparation, you can escape concern, and just call it all zero carbs.

(Kathy L) #17

I do understand most meat has zero -just saying I eat some w/carbs ( albeit somewhat processed) and need to be aware.

Yeah, I completely agree with you. I’ve been tricked in the past…I remember accidentally buying frozen chicken which was pre-brined in sugar…those buggers…I felt deceived :weary:

(Bacon for the Win) #19

the age old question. I’m 54 years old and have never figured this out. When you do, please fill me in!

(Arlene) #20

Real hunger will keep nagging you. When hungry, drink some water, then go do something different from what you were doing. Even a quick walk around the block is enough. Start researching a new subject of interest, or go soak in the tub. The point is to distract yourself for just a little while. If you are really hungry, the urge will be rather urgent. If the feeling goes away for a while, wait till you can say “wow, I’m really hungry, I need to eat a nice meal”. I like to wait till an enormous steak sounds just about right. :slight_smile: