Eating for hunger vs. Eating from boredom

(Todd Allen) #21

I think not eating just for hunger is a big part of the reason why the advice “eat fat to satiety” is insufficient for some (many?) to achieve their desired weight.

For myself, going low carb and then keto made losing weight possible but it didn’t make it effortless. I had to learn new habits, make rules, set reasonable goals, track what I eat and the resultant progress, and make adjustments and apply a little discipline. Which sounds harder than it has been. It hasn’t been hard for me but it requires some focus and effort which is amply rewarded in satisfaction through improved health and growing confidence that I am in control of my well being.

(Ashley Haddock) #22

This is a hard one, and as others have said working from home does make it a little more tempting to just go grab something. I’ve noticed a lot of the time when I’m fasting I’m not hungry but just miss eating. That’s a hard one for me to get past. But if I start to feel hungry and I’m not in my eating window (I do IF) I’ll usually start off with just ignoring it and try getting my mind on something else. Sometimes I’ll drink some water with salt and potassium. Surprisingly enough, that typically takes care of my “hunger” for a while. I thought I was alone in this until I heard @carl mention that he does the same thing.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #23

The salted water technique works for me. I keep a gallon water pitcher on the kitchen counter with 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons of sea salt mixed in. (I also keep a sport bottle of it in the car.) A couple long pulls from a glass of that stuff and I feel like I’ve “had something.” If I’m still craving food after a full glass, I eat. This way, I’m hydrated, I’ve got my electrolytes, and I’m satiated.

(takes a drink from glass on desk)

(Jan) #24

@Daisy, you are awesome. I just gotta say, I learn so much from your posts. Gentle, practical, supportive…you really embody the KCKO philosophy. I just listened to the weight loss surgery podcast. Sounds like you’ve been through the wringer. I am in awe. Thank you for being part of this group, and thanks even more for your sharing.

Aw, thank you so much. That means a great deal to me. xxx

(Stickin' with mammoth) #26

Answer: Yes. Ha, ha! Your journey sounds like mine. I hamstrung myself by substituting the thrill of losing weight for emotional eating so that when the weight loss stalled, I was back to square one, casting about for relief. I’m to the point now where I get sick and tired of thinking and talking about keto. Oh, I still love it and abide by it, I just need a mental break from the whole food-health circus, ya know?

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #27

[quote=“Jan, post:24, topic:6064”]
@Daisy, you are awesome. I just gotta say, I learn so much from your posts. Gentle, practical, supportive…you really embody the KCKO philosophy.
[/quote] @Jan said this so well @Daisy, a humble thank you for your KCKO gentle and practical support

Aw, you guys. xxx

Such great advice and so much bacon-y yummy love!
Thank you all :heart:

Real hunger for me is a gnawing in my belly as well as a feeling in the back of my mouth and throat which I can’t describe. Sometimes I will rate the hunger on 0-10. If I can handle the 5-7 range that is fine for a bit, however, if I have higher hunger ratings that cause anxiety, I eat. Someone also suggested drinking salted water to quell hunger. I find drinking ACV in my water also helps. I sip this through a straw to avoid the acidity on my teeth.

(EMILY) #31

This is a great litmus test I will definitely start applying! Thank you for sharing. For me, I think about food all day, every day. To tell when I’m actually physically hungry or just emotionally hungry is very difficult.