Eating after extended fast

(Mark Anderson) #1

Hi All

been doing IF for a few weeks (24 hours). Did one 36 hour and decided to try a 42 today (planning to do 3x42hrs a week). Had no problems. Never felt too hungry. When I broke my fast I had 1oz of roasted cashews (na salt added) and then some keto indian kebabs (6-7oz), 4oz sauteed mushrooms and 2 cups of roasted broccoli/cauliflower with cheese sauce (home made). All this comes to about 850 cals. I couldn’t finish it. I know cals are pretty irrelevant, but I want to make sure I’m eating enough (same as normal, or slightly less) on the non-fasting days. I felt full by the time I’d eaten about half. Should I stop at this point? If I did, should I be concerned about only eating about 800 calories for the day?

What do you guys do?

TIA

Mark

(Raj Seth) #3

If your body is saying - enough - I’m full. Then just listen to it.

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

Listen to your body. That is fine.
If fat adapted any additional calories needed will be pulled from your body fat.

Why do you mention carbs? You should up the calories with fats and or protein if 850 in not enough for you.
Here is a good blog by Dr. Fung that talks about the differences between low calorie intake and fasting.
https://idmprogram.com/difference-calorie-restriction-fasting-fasting-27/

(Todd Allen) #5

My typical pattern after a fast is a small meal followed later by a much bigger one. It seems like I need a little food to prime my digestive system before it is ready to handle a bigger meal.

(Mark Anderson) #6

thanks. Carbs was a typo: meant calories

If you’re worried about IF lowering your metabolism over the long term, science does not have a definitive answer. The studies simply have not been done. The work of Krista Varady, a researcher at the University of Illinois (and author of The Every Other Day Diet) probably comes the closest. Her subjects eat a standard diet on their eating days.

It sounds like the protocol you’re doing was described in Dr Fung’s book: fast every other day and begin eating in afternoon on your feeding days. If I were adhering to this protocol, I’d make a conscious effort to eat above my TDEE on feeding days. I’d also get my RMR tested every 3 months (during the first year) to make sure it wasn’t decreasing.

Food density is a real thing. It can be challenging to create HFLC meals when the calories need to be high (> 1000), especially if you’re trying to moderate protein. Several members in my family face this issue. We don’t like to weigh and measure food, so we address it by eating carbs (tubers, rice, starchy veggies) to our tolerance level. Many who do ADF do not have to adhere to a LC diet to lose weight. YMMV, measure and track to discover what works for you.

(Mark Anderson) #8

Thanks. Where/how do I get my RMR tested? Does this tell me my TDEE?

Google “RMR testing in {your city}”.
The test is available at some universities, fitness labs that cater to athletes, diet clinics, and medical facilities. In my area, it cost less than $150.

The test is pretty simple, you relax in a chair while hooked up to a breathing apparatus that captures your expired gasses. The exact information on the report that’s generated varies depending on the equipment utilized by the facility. It can detail RMR, TDEE, % fat vs sugar as fuel source (fat adaption).

This website gives a good explanation and a sample report. Navagate through all the tabs.
https://korr.com/resources/understanding-rmr/

(Mark Anderson) #10

Thanks a lot!