Eat when hungry?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #26

I only debate which bacon is best.

And I should warn you, I used to coach state championship debate teams, so any arguing is futile.

It’s clearly crispy.

(TJ Borden) #27

I’ve been married for 15 years. I’m used to futile arguments.

(Ron) #28

LOL, That one brought tears to my eyes!!! Funny as hell.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Parker) #29

It looks like the keto diet made you smarter… never argue with the wifey

(Parker) #30

Well you were right. It is day four and I feel like I’m starving to death. Quick question, is rage a side effect of the keto flu? I’m pretty sure the only thing that is fueling my body right now is utter rage. I’m tired, I’m grumpy and my children are starting to look delicious. Wtf?

(TJ Borden) #31

So you’re craving meat…interesting :joy::joy::joy:

Yeah, that’s all normal. Carb withdrawal (aka keto flu) throws all sorts of stuff out of whack as your system adjusts. Get plenty of salt. Ketoaide is great for that:

Other than that, take some comfort in that the symptoms likely mean you’re doing things right. This early on don’t worry about eating windows or intermittent fasting. If you’re hungry, eat, and try to focus on fat.

Have some olives in oil…Okay that’s all I can really think of. I’m mostly carnivore so I’m pretty much eating all the stuff you’re not. I turn to butter, cream, cheese, eggs, and a juicy fatty ribeye.

KCKO

(karen) #32

Avocados. Coconut milk. A low carb veggie sauteed in coconut, olive or avocado oil. Some protein-fat animal food if you have any at all - cheese, eggs.

(Parker) #33

I’m definitely hitting all my marks I’m suppose to for my Keto-food-value. I’m just hungry and angry. But I’m excited to think that my rage might be a sign of actually getting in ketosis.

(Parker) #34

Thanks for the recipe.

(TJ Borden) #35

The only mark that REALLY matters right now is carbs. Protein is flexible, and a range, so don’t worry about a “cap” at this point. If you’re hungry, eat. If you go hungry long enough then your metabolism will slow and you DON’T want that.

(Parker) #36

In a nutshell if I get hungry and I’ve already meet my Keto-food-marks then I can just eat fat? Is that what you’re telling me? I’m sorry if I am annoying. :confused: I promise I’ve done my research it’s just some things get confusing.

(TJ Borden) #37

No worries, that’s what the forum is for.

Pretty much, and if you end up getting a little more protein in order to get that fat, don’t sweat it. The protein goal is more of a range, and not something to worry too much about until you’re further along. The main thing right now is to keep the carbs down. Once you’re fat adapted, that number becomes a little more flexible too, although many (myself included) try to keep it as low as possible.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #38

Eating fat to satiety is important, especially in the early days. Don’t worry about calories, don’t worry about how much fat. By the time you are fully fat-adapted, all that will have sorted itself out.

BTW, and FWIW, when asked if he liked children, W. C. Fields replied, “Yes, I do; especially fried.”

Sorry, couldn’t resist—don’t eat your children! Keep ketoing on, eat more fat, and they’ll stop looking so delicious.

(Parker) #39

Sometimes I wish I could throw my children into a deep-fat-fryer. My life before keto ( i’m on day number five by the way lol) consisted of calorie counting, low fat foods, working out like a maniac and wearing a Fitbit with my calorie intake set a 1500. Not worrying about calories is tough but like I said on a different post today…I’m going to trust the process

(LeeAnn Brooks) #40

I hear you! I was set at 1200 or less. It’s really scary at first to let go.

Now I’m eating on average 1600 a day, but sometimes up as high as 2000 and more. I go based on hunger. I’m losing weight slowly, but I don’t have much to lose. And it feels really good to lose without starving myself.

But I still love my FitBit.

(Parker) #41

I love and still wear my fit bit as well. You’re 1600 calories which makes me nervous that mine are too high (I eat 2000 a day) is there a reason why you’re sometimes that low? How long have you been with keto and are you fat adapted? FYI for everyone in this forum. My grammar blows!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #42

For one, I’ve found my calories have dipped now that I’m fat adapted. I’m not as hungry. I was eating 1600-1800 and was well over 2000 for one week straight. Eat to satiety. That may mean it will change over time. As long as it’s not starvation levels, this is okay.

For two, I’m 5’2” 131ish pounds, so 1600 is right at maintenance for me in most Keto calculators.

I wouldn’t worry about your calories as you adapt. When I was eating over 2000, I even gained some of my previously lost weight back, but my body was hungry and it was telling me to feed it. I believe it needed more fuel to get me over the fat adaptation hump, as that occurred at week 5, a few weeks before I was sure I was fat adapted.
On Saturday I couldn’t get enough to eat. I was so hungry. My calories topped 2000. The next day my weight dropped. I thought it might have been a fluke. But today I’m even lower.

More importantly I’m losing inches. I’m fitting into clothes that I would have had to be at least 5 pounds less to fit into while doing low fat diets. Right now I’m wearing a run shirt I got two years ago at my first 5k. I know exactly what weight I was on that day. 127. And the shirt didn’t fit me when I got it. But I have it on today at 131 and it fits fine.

(Parker) #43

Thanks. This forum is the best. Thank God I found it

(Alec) #44

Yes. If hungry, eat fat. Don’t get hungry. This is counterproductive certainly in the early stages, and some would argue always. One of the many benefits of keto is you won’t be hungry. So, disregard the “Keto-food-marks”, and eat more fat if you are hungry.

Note that a key principle of keto is “eat fat to satiety”, meaning you should not be hungry. If you are, eat fat. That is your fuel. Hunger is the body telling you it wants more fuel.

Keto flu is your body battling with itself: hey, guys, we got no sugar, what the hell is going on? But, hey, there’s this fat over here, let’s burn that! But it looks strange, it ain’t what we’re used to… how do we burn that?? I dunno, but let’s give it a try, cos there’s no more sugar, and I am feeling low right now…

(LeeAnn Brooks) #45

Im hearing that I’m my head with an accent. Please tell me there’s an accent. I want my body to talk to me with a Scottish accent. Or maybe Australian.