Easier to attain ketosis the second time around?

(Allison B) #1

Hi, I’m new. I’ve been getting so much great info here. I want to know if anyone has experience with being in ketosis/fat adapted previously?. I was in the hospital in 2015 with an abcessed cyst on my back, where I was diaganosed as a diabetic. I was 240 lbs, and an out of control alcoholic. They had to keep me there 4 days because of sepsis! Anyway, the experience snapped me out of my funk, and I came home and immediatly changed. I drastically cut carbs, and alot of fat also. I worked out 6 days a week. I had never heard of keto. Within 6 weeks or so, I can see now, looking back, I was in ketosis. Well, my question is, is it easier for a body to get back into ketosis 2 years down the road? It has been 4 weeks since I’ve learned and jumped on the keto bandwagon, and I’m definetly feeling the amazing energy and mental sharpness already. Haven’t dropped alot of weight yet, though. I also never showed anything on the stupid ketone strips! Could that be my body just adapted that more efficiently? Thanks for any insight.

(Anti-Gravity Gains) #2

My guess is because it has been 2 years for you since you last were in nutritional ketosis that you will pretty much be going into this pretty new - as if it were the first time. But if it is feeling easier this time around than it was 2 years ago, perhaps other factors are playing into it such as: Not drinking a lot anymore before going into keto this time, better sleep patterns, less stress, etc.

I went through Keto adaptation 2X but I was only off the diet for 6 weeks (definitely too long and it was not pretty). But the 2nd time getting into Keto, it was a much easier 1st week.

As far as keto strips…I’d ditch them. They showed low to moderate ketones for me the first time I did keto, then after 2 weeks, barely anything. Many have had same experience. They only measure 1 of the 3 fatty acid types (can’t remember which) and it is the least reliable measurement from what I’ve heard. The body starts to use fatty acids/ketones more effectively as it adapts to ketogenic WOE after some weeks. I’ve even heard it is good to see low amounts on the pee strips because it is an indicator that you are using the excess ketones for fuel (rather than the excess appearing on the strips). I drink a lot of water - I always have. I’ve heard that plays into low readings as well.