DXA Scan: Dr. refuses to schedule one

dexa

(Lisa MacDonald) #1

(I’m not sure where this question goes, so if I’ve misfiled it I apologize, but I’m a newbie so I’m starting here)

I went to my PCP for a checkup to get a baseline on my blood work when starting keto. During the checkup I got distracted (because she threw in a well woman exam) and forgot to ask her to order a DEXA scan.

When her office called to follow up on to schedule a mammogram (yay) I asked them if the dr. could please order a DEXA scan at the same time because the facility could do both. Her office called back and said that she said because I was not at risk for osteoporosis, that she would not order the DEXA scan. I explained that starting on a new WOE, I would like to use the DEXA scan to get a baseline on my body fat and lean body mass and could she please reconsider. Her office call back a day later and said that the DEXA scan could not be used to measure lean body mass and sent me to a hippie dippy wellness center that wants to sell me essential oils and chakra stones.

The scanning facility will not give me a DEXA scan without a doctors referral.

Any recommendations on how I can get one?

Hmm… I just googled Dexa scan and found a few places that you can get them as a walk in. I think they were about $100.

(Lisa MacDonald) #3

Well, that was an embarrassingly easy solution. Thank you so much!

(Trisha) #4

You’re doctor is probably thinking of the dexa that measures bone density. It’s different from the one that measures lean body mass. You might have to search for a place that specifically measures lean body mass

calling @TomSeest

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #6

Yeah @tdseest
YOU know more about these than anyone I know.
@richard had one too, over in Australia

(Richard Morris) #7

I had a similar problem. I have a compliant doctor and she was happy to order me a DEXA scan. But when I went to Canberra Imaging the receptionist told me they don’t do DEXA scans for body composition just for bone density. So I decided to go through with it anyway. When I got to the appointment, I asked the tech if they can do body composition and he said “yeah but not many people ask for it” … I suggested he might want to have a chat to his receptionist about that.

So I got a body composition scan after all.

(Tom Seest) #8

Yes. I just found a local place that would give me a DEXA without a doctor’s orders. Mine cost $50.00 at the local university. Many public universities here in the states perform this as a community service.

Good luck.

I asked about this at the lab where I got my last mammogram. The receptionist said to ask the tech, the tech said it was the same hardware but that they didn’t have the right software. Then the receptionist came up with a random figure of $800. If I paid for it in cash, it might only be $600.

I need to move closer to civilization. :wink:

(Lisa MacDonald) #10

Thank you all so much for your input–will run down these suggestions and update you!!

I’m not sure where you live, but it might be worth a drive to save $700. :wink:

(Cathy Schroder) #12

Come to Australia for a holiday! I found a place in Melbourne and scheduled a body composition scan with ease. I think it cost me about $100 including time for the technician to explain the results. It was invaluable information because it helped me set a realistic goal weight range, and helped me convince my GP that no matter what the charts say I’m never going to make it to 55kg (that would put me at 14% body fat assuming I lost only fat).

(Jo Lo) #13

Here’s where I went.
Easy Peasy.

In the US, a doctor will only want you to get a DEXA if they are concerned about your bone density. I found a place not too far away and bought a package of 2 for about $240. I highly recommend getting it done!

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #15

I had one on Friday in Reno:
http://www.renodiagnosticcenters.com/diagnostic-services/body-fat-analysishealth-check/

Self referral, $50, about 15 mins and out the door with a print out in my hand.

(Steve) #16

I’ve got one scheduled for this Friday at DexaFit in Dallas

I’m 4 hrs away, but going through the big D on my way further south, so figured why not.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #17

Is the DXA scan apparatus open and can accommodate extra weight? Or is it designed for slim athletic birds? There’s a Groupon for a $99 DXA scan in a northern Chicago suburb and I’m tempted to get one if I will fit.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #18

I have my first ever scheduled with Dexafit near Minneapolis on Wednesday. Got a groupon deal for $99, normally $150.

Much. Excite.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #19

You must not know much about me, Tom, and Richard.
You’ll fit.

It’s only a table, like an x-ray. Not a pod.

Yes, DXA is open and can typically accommodate up 150kg depending on manufacturer