DXA Scan: Dr. refuses to schedule one

dexa

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #21

Your post a few days back @Brenda on your DXA Groupon started my search if I had a local Groupon… I’m very excited!

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #22

I asked about that for my scan. There’s a center line down the table where the patient’s spine aligns to and there are lines along either side of the table marking the maximum scan width. In the case that the patient is too big for the table width, they can scan just one side (right or left) and infer the measurements for the other side. In my case, I couldn’t fit both arms within the scanner width, so they had me shimmy to my left side a bit and where they could scan my whole torso width, both legs and my right arm, then they inferred just my left arm.

Sorry (EDIT)…I’m fumbling words on how to describe it… The tech operating the scanner said worst case is spine to one side and then they have to infer the other side, but most people are not all that symmetrical, so it’s close but not as accurate. Or, like they did for me, they got my whole torso, both legs, but could only scan my right arm, so just my left arm was inferred. In looking at the print out, my right and left arm have exactly the same measurements on the printed paper, meaning that they just copied the right-arm data for the left arm.

(Tom) #23

It’s not ideal, but it should be a decently accurate scan, even with the arm being outside. The important part is to repeat the same positioning when you have your next one, even if you have a different tech who tries moving you into a different position.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #24

Recently, I found a place in Maryland that’s running a special on DEXA scans 3/$100, regular price $50, all 3 must be used within a year. They give the print out but you’ll have to have someone else go over it or Google how to understand the scan.

Also, I found many universities with athletic departments offer either Bod Pods or DEXA scans.

(Lisa MacDonald) #25

These are GREAT - thank you all so much!!

(Jennifer) #26

I just found a university about an hour away that will do them for $50 or 4 for $150. I think that may be worth the hour drive…

(MakinBacon) #27

I also found a DexaFit about 4 hours away from me, in Las Vegas. I have yet to find anything closer. Maybe I need to schedule a Vegas Trip soon. :grin:

I miss Vegas. I have to go back soon and deposit more into my retirement fund.

(Bob Weiman) #29

Where in Maryland? It might be a reasonable drive for me since nobody in the Harrisburg area is doing them.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #30

Dexafit is a franchise.
Some of y’all should open one.

I see an explosion of use in the VERY near future!!!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #31

Not kidding. I know things. Ask @carl

(Steve) #32

I was thinking the same thing. But I’m very conservative when it comes to jobs.

I mentioned in another thread but if you’re a data geek be sure to ask for your scan as a dicom file (along with the standard PDF).
It contains the dexa images and data for you to inspect at later date if you want, should be simple export from the scanner software for the scan operator.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #34

In Greenbelt, MD. Let me find the name again and post.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #35

(George Hernandez) #36

good to know. i just scheduled a self pay dexa because the dr laughed when i told him i wanted one. He said it was for old ladies with white hair. after i went off on a rant about why it is important for me ,i called the lab i was going to for something else and scheduled it. $100 for a self pay dexa scan. I had seen the groupon for dexafit for a little more than that and 1.5 hrs away. I will make sure to ask for body composition. thank you!

(George Hernandez) #37

Update: after scheduling a DEXA that i planned to pay myself because insurance companies suck and wouldn’t pay, the tech didn’t know how to run the scan for anything other that bone density.
Make sure to ask for “body composition” as @richard mentioned.

Fortunately, things seem to always have a way to work out!
I found a local place offering a FREE DEXA Body Fat Composition Test.
I printed out the prescription from the website that they offer and took it over to the Dr. He signed it and i was set.
I got scanned and they handed me a print out of results.

Lesson here is to keep searching and asking places. No one i spoke to knew anything about the Dexa body composition. Even when i found the info for the Free test and called, they had no idea. When i showed up for the appointment, they knew nothing. Even the tech was only slightly familiar. She said not many people come in for it.

I’m in the south Florida area and would love to share the info for those that can take advantage of it.

*ok now let me figure out how to ask admins if i can post a link to the info for the free dexa. And should i post it here or should it be a new post? (newbie problems!) I dont want no stinkin flags.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #38

Post it. I’ll remove flags if you get any. Put the topic in Keto Chat and link it anywhere you’d like. Message me if you have any issues.

(eschor) #39

don’t know

(Ian Stavert) #40

My gym here in Australia is offering a DexaScan for $30 that I’m booked in for, and I suspect, because it’s a gym, they will be scanning for body composition and not bone density.