DXA Scan and RMR Results-need help

I have been on my Keto journey for nine weeks and got my first DXA scan and RMR today in order to get some baseline data to work from (I am a research analyst and love data).

I have some results and I would like to know how to adjust my macros based on the results for weight loss. In the past 2 months I have lost 22 pounds, which I see as good progress, along with decreased anxiety, more clarity, and just feeling good! I have been working on 16/8 and 18/6 eating for most of every week and did a 23.5 hour fast last weekend and will be at 22 hours by the time I eat tonight.

Most of the news (especially bf%) was horrrifyingly depressing but at least I now have a real baseline. Here is some other data:

RMR: 1513
PREDICTED RMR: 1729
They determined my metabolism is SLOW.
RER: (what I burn for fuel) 23% sugar, 77% fat
TDEE for maintenance sedentary lifestyle: 1664
Lead body mass: 118 pounds.

Does anyone know how I would use this data to help me generate optimal macros for health? Thanks so much!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #2

While there is great disagreement among experts on protein, nearly everyone thinks LBM is the place to set it. So that 118 Number will come in handy regardless of whether you are a Naimanite or a Rosedaleophile, or anywhere in between. Your carbs are always 20 or 30 or whatever, percent winds up between 3-10 depending on the rest. And fat fills out your TDEE number.

Thank you. Yes, I always keep my carbs under 20.

(M G) #4

I am a data geek myself ( Biochem industry), and have had a blast quantifying as many metrics as Im able. It is fascinating to learn about my bodys response to this dramatic metabolic change. Quite something :smile:

DXA scans results give you the most accurate body stats. A pretty good baseline.
To get your macros you can use an online calculator to get a general idea. I like this one: https://ketogains.com/ketogains-calculator/ or

However, no one body is the same-- physically or metabolically. If possible try to track your food/macros, mood and weight loss rate as often as it is feasible for you. You will know then what macro ratio works best for you.

In my personal experience I find a good template of keto macros to be: about 5% of carbs or around 30grams of total carbs-- whichever is less; around 20% protein,and 75% fat. My metabolism is not slow but it is pretty sensitive to carbs, sugar alcohols and protein. Protein is the macro I find adjusting more frequently; the optimal protein intake (grams ) for muscle preservation ranges between 0.69 to 0.8 per pound of lean mass. My sweet spot is around 0.7, above that I have a hard time staying in ketosis.
At the end of the day metrics are only valid within the context they are applied to, so listening to your body is always key!

Hope it helps!

:slight_smile:

(Candy Lind) #5

I don’t know how much you’ve been eating, but I hope you’ve been eating to satiety and not to a calorie count. I realize you’re 9 weeks in and hopefully getting towards being fat-adapted. Since you’re feeling good and all that other great stuff, let’s assume you are! If you want to rev up your metabolism and lose weight, you have to be sure to eat enough to allow your body to release fat stores. I’m not familiar with the RER, but it sounds like maybe you need to do at least a little bit of exercise (maybe even just a leisurely walk sometime during the day would do it) in order to deplete your glycogen stores some more and get the fat percentage up. Maybe someone more familiar with these numbers will pipe in with something about that. The idea of keeping under 20 carbs is so you won’t have that as a fuel source, so I think 23% might be higher than you want.

EDIT: Right after I finished this, I decided to go see what I could learn about that RER. It actually looks like you are knocking it out of the park with that 77/23 ratio! THIS PAGE on Jonathan Jordan Fitness says 70/30 is a good solid ratio. So please disregard my advice about the walking, unless you just want to! LOL! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The macro calculators usually ask for your weight, age, BF%, and LBM and go from there to give you your macros. They also ask you to choose a deficit you want to meet by percentage (of calculated TDEE). Especially in these early weeks, don’t go too low! And if you find that you are hungry after a meal, eat fat to satiety (make some sweet or savory fat bombs and use them). Don’t let yourself go hungry or you will never get your satiety signals re-programmed. Even if you eat more at first and don’t lose as much weight, you’ll be better in the long run because your body will learn to tell you when you’re full and you’ll naturally eat less.

The one caveat I would add to eating to satiety is this: if you know you are a consistent overeater, then you have to figure out a method to help your body learn those satiety signals again. I still (after 9 months keto) eat to a reduced caloric level as a starting point, drink some extra water, tea, or coffee, wait 30 minutes, and if I still feel hungry, I’ll eat a little more fat and/or protein (I try to stay under my macro on protein). Again, drink, wait and eat more if I’m still hungry. Wait for the signals to hit. That might work for you, or you might try some other scheme. Just don’t let an overeating habit derail your system learning the signals again.

I hope this helps and I didn’t muddy the water. :blush:

(M G) #6

I completely agree with this assessment @CandyLindTX. Fat adaptation is crucial-- even at the expense of more significant weight loss. It wasn`t until I was completely fat adapted that I was able to eat at a calorie deficit. I wish I had done this my first round of keto…

Thank you, great advice. Yes, I am fat adapted and the RER fat % actually supports that, according to the lady who did my scans. It’s a test that can show what your body is preferring to use as fuel, and mine is using fat. The carb % I will assume (someone please correct me if I am wrong) is from glucose from my liver and the very small amount of carbs that get ingested from veggies and such. I am strict keto and have not had a cheat day.
Edit: looks like you pulled up a link to this so I will go read it-thank you!!

Yes, now that I have this baseline to compare to, and have lost some weight, I will resume bike riding, which always feels great!

Thanks for your advice-much appreciated.

Thank you-sounds like a good plan. Not thrilled with that calculator as it doesn’t let you put it your exact numbers and calculates them for you (lbm and tdee) so I will see if I can find one that will. Until then, this sounds like a plan. Thanks!

Edit: yes, I collect lots of data like you do. I didn’t think to add data for mood but that’s a great idea!

(Candy Lind) #9

Sounds like a great plan! My next exercise goal is to get my hubby’s and my bikes ready to go on the truck with us when I get back on in May (yes, I drive a truck, teaming with my DH), so we can go exploring when we’re on a break in an interesting area. I hope you enjoy yours.

That sounds like a blast! How fun!
So my bike is a stationary one but I hope to get one to ride outside sometime over the next year.

Any ideas for staying under/within a few grams of my protein macro? I seem to consistently go over unless I cut calories. I eat fatty meats, definitely eating fats, but that protein is a bugger.

Thanks!

(Liz ) #12

I have to literally measure out my meats or I easily go super high on protein. Don’t know if it’s necessarily detrimental but I stalled out a good long time so I’m trying to rein in protein in case it’s an issue with me.

I got a kitchen scale & plug in, for example, 5 ounces of pork tenderloin on an app, I use My Fitness Pal, & see how many grams of protein that is. I try to input my whole day’s food before I eat it so I don’t blow my protein macros at lunch lol.

Yeah I do the exact same thing and still tend to go over. I think I need to expand my food choices maybe. It’s confusing. Some doctors seem to advocate for more protein while others say it has an insulin response so stay lower. Not T2 and been losing weight (in a bit of a stall this week but it will pass).

(Doug) #14

FbF, you’ve been keto long enough that protein will have a much lower insulin response for you, versus a diet much higher in carbohydrates. Dr. Benjamin Bikman recently came out with some pertinent information:

Insulin to Glucago ratios: (Lower is better.)

Fasted: 0.8
Low-Carb Diet = 1.3
On S.A.D. (‘standard American diet’) = 4.0

Change in ratios from the response to eating protein:

Fasted = 0.5 - it actually goes down.
Low-Carb Diet = 1.3 to 1.4 - almost no change at all. (He says it goes up 6%.)
S.A.D. = 70.0 - !! This is PROFOUND. Incredible difference.

I’m not saying that you should eat more protein, but given your low-carb diet, the insulinogenic effect of eating protein is MUCH less than for carb-eaters.

I only like data to the extent that it can be used to get the results I want. I put macros in the useless data category. What is useful is knowing how my BG and BK respond to what I ate (or drank). I’ve determined that’s there’s a correlation between changes in my BG and changes in my weight.

Here’s an example of how this information is actionable. If I am in a deep state of ketosis (GKI < 3) and I eat a Big Mac with super sized fries and drink, my BG the next morning will be up by 20 mg/dL and my BK down by 1.5 mmol and I won’t have gained any weight. If I’m that decadent a second day, my BG will rise further, BK will fall more, I will be in a low (or non) state of ketosis and my weight will be up. By the 3rd or 4th consecutive day of decadence, my morning BG will level off to ~100 and my ketones will have dropped to 0. My body will remain at those levels until I take corrective action. Your Mileage Will Vary, this is just for illustration.

Wow, great information! I wasn’t aware of that information-so helpful! Thank you!

Great ideas! I will definitely do some experiments. Thanks so much.