Dxa scan analysis

(eschor) #1

fist time in my whole long life…had a dr read my dexa scan…over the phone.,…and call me lean., amazing non scale victory

Woohoo!!! :tada: Bravo!!!

(Cathy Schroder) #3

I have my first scan booked for this weekend. A couple of my family members have expressed their thoughts about me losing too much weight, (understandable as my son has had a very difficult battle with anorexia). I think that if I have a scan it will give me a good starting point to understand any coming changes in my body’s composition (fat to lean tissue), as well as some realistic expectations on all sides about how much more fat there is to lose.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #4

How does one go about getting a dexa scan? Is it something that requires a doc to write a script? Or are there places you could go self-pay?

(Larry Lustig) #5

There’s a storefront lab a block or two from my house that conspicuously advertises DEXA scans. I’m pretty sure you can walk in and get one. I believe they’re popular among the body-building set more so than as a tool for medical analysis.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #6

Thanks, Larry. Perhaps I’ll google it with Bing and see what I can find locally.

(Guardian of the bacon) #7

Contradiction of terms?

(G. Andrew Duthie) #8

Old joke. I used to work for Microsoft.

(Guardian of the bacon) #9

Google has become the new generic for Search

(Mark) #10

What would be the most beneficial? Coronary calcium scan or dexa scan?

(Larry Lustig) #11

Two completely different tests.

In terms of disease detection / prevention I think the calcium scan is more likely to give you usable information. DEXA is more to fine-tune your sense of body fat percentage.

(Jason Barbier) #12

Super sweet. Personally I would probably print it out and frame it just so I can blow peoples minds when they start talking about how unhealthy I must be because I am eating butter and not that tasteless nasty margarine crap.

(Jo Lo) #13

These are super interesting if you are a numbers nerd (like me). My wife and I got two of these done 9 months apart, plus the optional bone scan (recommended). It was a two for price of one deal at Washington Institute of Sports Medicine. I think it was about $175 each for everything. No doctor or insurance involved, we just paid them ourselves.

Best parts are knowing accurate lean mass/fat mass numbers, plus where you are in terms of percentage compared to other people your age. To my surprise I was in the 80+ percentile for men my age, in terms of leanness.

Plus the color body maps are super cool looking…

I would recommend getting at least two, at least 6 months apart. The whole point is knowing what direction you are going in… and then tweeking things if necessary.

We also got CAC scans. Ours were zero, but if yours are not zero you should get several at least a year apart to establish a trend. If your trend is upward, Dr Ted says “your screwed”!

(Beth laing) #14

Questions about Dexa scan – are there different kinds? I would like to do one now and another in ~6 months, so fine getting some kind of package… but was not sure if they are all the same or there are different report levels, different types? Thanks for any specifics and advice.

(eschor) #15

dexa scan can be just a bone density.,or a full body scan, not sure if there is another kind as well.

(Michelle) #16

I did the DEXA like three years ago. They tell you so much about your body composition. I found it fascinating. It’s actually the same machine they use to measure your bone density. So, in addition to getting your bone health, it tells you about all the components in your body. My doc, however, did say that a DEXA scan is radiation, and don’t be so gung ho about having them done all the time for body composition. It’s not worth the radiation risks.

Since I haven’t had one done in a while, I would like to go back and see how I’m doing sometime this year.

Here’s a link to the one in Chicago that I went to: https://www.dexafit.com/

(Brian Miller) #17

We have one of their locations near me and I’m seriously considering getting one of their 4 test plans.

(Jo Lo) #18

Good question. I believe there is only one DXA scan of body fat, muscle, and bone. The bone scan is an option using the same machine.
You want to do multiple scans on the same machine, wearing the the same clothing, in fasted condition. We had the same technician both times, which is desirable.

(Dawn) #19

Should you consider doing a Dexa scan if you are still obese ?
The local facility does something called Fit3D which is 360 degree imaging FIT3D Scanner, which is what I want to do, but since they do Dexa Scans too, if it would be worthwhile, I might do it at the same time.

(In a #ketomarriage with @peggaloon) #20

I would. There is so much else you get from it besides body fat composition.

I had my dexa in October, hoping to go back in April / May for a follow up one. I would book a few of them as a package, but hey, we hope to have another baby in the next 2 years - and they can’t be done while pregnant!

Anyway! Dexascans are great, but also scary - I was measured at 25.9% body fat (was predicting a lot less) Legs are 38%, arms 30%, torso 16%!!!
Bone density was supposed to be over 1.0, mine was 1.04 or something.
I added photos to share how different the scan makes you look - not boasting or anything. I am the queen of body dysmorphia