DXA and RMR DEXA SCAN! SCIENCE

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #1

SOOOOOOOO PSYCHED.
Plus I’m fasting ( hour 38:18 = hyper AF ).
Had another DXA scan today. This is my fourth in 20 months. Each time I have gained 4 pounds of lean mass without working at it very hard at all. I have one more visit for this package and I learned today that I can use it for an RMR, resting metabolic rate. I’m going in Friday. I don’t know much about RMR but I’m about to learn. So very interested in that! But there’s more. I’m going to purchase another four session package and I’ll be back in 3.5 months to see my progress with lean mass and visceral fat. (I’m going in just before Low Carb Denver in case I get interesting results I want to share). https://denversdietdoctor.com/low-carb-conferences-low-carb-denver-2019/
My center can measure my visceral fat to the gram! DEXAFIT.com
So what does this mean? It means I’m about to embark on a major body composition transformation. Why? Because I can. I’m an experiment of one. And I’m a born scientist.
I’ll be adding more intense fasting regimens, continuing with my lifting (as I am still gaining strength and lean mass with my routine), continue with the ketogenic diet, of course, and continue with closing my eating window at 7 p.m. I am now adding in swimming. (thanks Mona. Lol) I was on the swim team in high school and so know how to do laps and turns in the pool: freestyle, breaststroke, and backstroke.
Hyper focus on moderate protein, .6 grams per kg of lean mass, and paying special attention to truly eating fat to satiety. Nuts, heavy cream, and artificial sweeteners will nearly disappear from my diet. I will still use them, I don’t want to go insane, but I will eat those things much less often!
DXA:
Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry:
These scans measure bone density, and DXA scans can also be used to measure total body composition and fat content with a high degree of accuracy comparable to hydrostatic weighing with a few important caveats. From the DXA scans, a low resolution “fat shadow” image can also be generated, which gives an overall impression of fat distribution throughout the body.

MUCH. EXCITE.

Additionally, in case you don’t know me (my story is on www.DietDoctor.com plus episode 21 of the 2KetoDudes.com ), I have been ketogenic nearly 5 years now, fasting periodically and consistently for 3. I have reversed diabetes with an hbA1c of 12 to 5.
I work as a health educator for IDM, www.IDMprogram.com
I am 55 years old, 5’ foot 7", have a lean mass of 135 lb, and can free weight leg press 810 pounds. I plan on breaking 900 this year, and getting my hbA1c in the 4’s. #KETOGOALS

(Bob M) #2

You’ve gained 12 pounds of muscle in 20 months? That’s near young, genetically gifted male category. I gained less than 4 pounds in a year (50+ year old male). So, your result is impressive to say the least.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #3

I have no clue what an average gain is. I’m not a bodybuilder I just love lifting weights and gaining strength. Do you know what an average gain is? By the way I can tell you how I did it. Look into the science of fasting.

(John) #4

I’ve toyed with the idea of going to a Dexafit and getting a scan and RMR. They are a little pricey and the nearest one is about 4 hours away.

My local university with do RMR for $100 so I might do that here locally. My mirror does a pretty good job of telling me “yep, you’re still pretty fat.” :slight_smile:

(Troy) #5

Hi
Just following up on this RMR
What were your results?
Was it helpful and how can it you assist or help going forward?
Any recommendations, a go for it or pass/ymmv :smile:

I was curious
RMR are $75
I have no idea if it’s necessary

Thanks

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #7

Sorry for some reason this didn’t come in to my notifications until today. Did you ever get the RMR? It absolutely is valuable to find out if you have an impaired metabolism. Mine was very high. I was very pleased with the result.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #8

I did mine and it was lower than I expected

(Troy) #9

Thanks I did not
However, I may with my next DEXA

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #10

two ways to speed up metabolism. Only two. Feasting and fasting. Tag me with your questions with an @Brenda and I’ll get to them when I can.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #11

@Brenda

Here is a link to where I posted a subset of my results. I only expected my RMR to be higher because of how many calories I have been eating coupled with the fact that I was still losing weight.

DEXA/RMR: Rebecca's DEXA and RMR
Macros/Calories: Rebecca's Look at Numbers

I do have the full printouts, but I didn’t want to post full details on here.
I don’t really have questions, but I want to find a way to keep my glucose down, ketones high (therapeutic ketosis due to cancer). It’s looking like I need to moderate my protein or my calories. I just need to figure out the best way to do all this and still stay healthy (I don’t want to lose more weight…I’m currently about 114).

This months macros (including an afternoon test), eating OMAD at supper

ETA: the glucose/ketone readings are adjusted so they are logged with the meal the night before (so the association between readings and food is in one line)

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #12

@Brenda

I guess one question is what should I aim for, as far as amount of protein. I’ve read 1g/kg of lean mass and I’ve been told I should do 70g, but in 2 meals. I’m not doing any heavy exercise just some mild strength training.