Driver solutions

(Robert) #1

Hey,
I am a driver of big trucks that slip seat for every dispatch, change trucks. When I leave the house I am gone for up to 4 days basically living out of two bags. The other problem is that I start work at all hours of the day so the Ceridian thing is basically thrown out the window.

Any ideas on running a healthy Keto thing with this schedule?

About 5 years ago I ran a Keto like diet while running flatbed, running mainly days, sleeping nights and I kept the same truck so I could stockpile food in the truck and better control my environment. I went from 305 to 265 pounds in a few months. This was after reading Why we get Fat and What to do about it.

Any ideas would be helpful. Remember living out of two bags.

Paul Thurrott from Windows Weekly turned me on to your podcast.

Help/advice with food choices please
(James storie) #2

I’m a truck driver as well, so I k n ow the struggle! I’m lucky enough to have an assigned truck, but I have slip seated in the past. If you have an electric cooler (mine’s a Coleman) you can do a lot. Sometimes I live on egg salad I make in the truck with boiled eggs and homemade mayo. I like to eat this with pork rinds! I also pre make a lot of meals and heat in a microwave, most truck stops have access to one. Sardines are a really good quick choice if you like them, I recommend King Arthur brand.

I would say keeping a stick of non perishables so you always have food available. I was watching programme about the problems of shift work the other day and they suggested keeping eating to as normal a routine as possible (as in as if you were working normal day shifts). If you eat at night, to eat light.

THis is a link to some info that went with the programme…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4DZ3Qrnxq065Hwbk5r3dSVJ/how-can-i-stay-healthy-when-i-work-shifts

Have you watched any videos by Scott The Truck Driver on YouTube?

(Guardian of the bacon) #5

I drive truck on and off I understand your struggle.

Canned meats, tuna, salmon, yes even Spam would be your friends. More difficult of course if you don’t like canned fish. I love Tuna melts. You could take a can or two of tuna, add in a few packets of Mayo from the sandwich shop. Cover with shredded or sliced cheese and heat in a microwave or one of those 12V cookers. I have one that I carry often that is the size of a small lunchbox. You could store your canned food inside to save space.

Another good choice is smoked meats and jerkies. They can withstand beking w/o refrigeration much better than fresh meats.

The best option (being a bit snarky here) is find a company that assigns trucks…

(Dustin Cade) #6

#TruckBacon

(Robert) #7

Back when I ran for Logan, a flatbed carrier, canned fish was a staple and helped keep me out of the truck stops. I currently work for YRC and in some of the trucks I barely have enough room for my two bags, so a cooler would be a problem, if I could get rid of the chain box then no problem. carrying the stuff into hotels and taking too much space in the shuttle vans to the hotels is a problem too.

Trying to change companies in order to get a better balance of rest and diet but it is hard to find a place that pays well.

(Robert) #8

Shift work is easy to deal with, Drivers at YRC are on call 24 hours a day and if you have no seniority you are expected to work 10+ hours within a 2 hour notice. So you don’t know what your schedule is till you get a call and sometimes the call won’t be for days.

I put my weight back on working 14 hour days with the added stress of trying to figure out how to break my bosses neck without going to jail. trying to outlast bad management is stressful.

(James storie) #9

Tell me about it, don’t you wish we got paid what we deserve! Eating out gets pricy, a bunless burger is always a good choice. Sometimes I break down and get a couple hot dogs (without the bun) from the truck stops. Spicy brown mustard does the trick. That’s not the best choice though. If I don’t have any boiled eggs handy, the flying j normally does. If you find that dream job, let me know!

(betsy.rome) #10

First a shout-out to anyone who drives a truck. Hard way to earn a living, and we all rely on you to bring us our bacon, lettuce & tomatoes. Salute!

A few times a year I eat out of a cooler for days, at a festival or hotel. Just came back from a weekend at a hotel. I brought a little 8" electric frypan to heat up my breakfast mini-quiches I had baked in muffin cups. But they’re good enough I could have eaten them cold.

• Celery sticks, chive cream cheese, sliced cheese, hard-boiled eggs.
  • Prep chicken, tuna or egg salad without the mayo, then add the mayo when ready to eat, lasts longer and doesn’t have the icky liquid factor.
  • Same goes with cole slaw mix, add the mayo when ready to eat.
  • I bake a large batch of almond-flour jalapeno cheddar “cornbread” muffin-tops & freeze, goes great with beanless chili.
  • A quick stop at a deli gets you sliced cheeses & meats to make rollups, along with lowcarb pitas if that goes with your plan.
  • Arugula lasts a long time in a cooler vs lettuce.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #11

Hail, yeah. Kudos to you, brother, bringer of bacon.

@rpmckee Do you have time between shifts to make some fat bombs? The coconut oil ones keep for days at room temperature and I’ll bet the bacon ones would last pretty well in a cool enough spot.

I, personally, am allergic to kitchen labor so I make big pots of things and then eat out of them for days. Like mixing broccoli florets with Italian sausage, some carmelized onion, and some cheese. It’s like lasagna in a bowl. If you freeze it solid in a plastic container and then put it in a soft-sided cooler, it would keep other stuff fresh for a day and then be ready to eat, itself.

(eat more) #12

just remembered these
might be a good option…just throw in microwave at a truck stop or 7-11?

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/pre-made-chicken-crust-personal-pizza/

(Dustin) #13

Are you into fasting, if you are, and build up some fasting stamina your road time could be fasting time up to 4 days, then come home and “get busy” with the keto. Eat the gas station hot dogs in an emergency. That may not be the best answer but that’s the best this fellow truck driver can give ya.

(Robert) #14

in the past when I ran flatbed, stayed in the same truck, I would eat once a day and be fine. This changing schedule, trucks and just being mad at not having control of my time I end up eating to stay awake sometimes. Maybe if I get a chew toy it would help, are dog chew toys good for ya. when I chew gum it seems that my gums will bleed, can’t figure this out but tested it and don’t know if it is the sweeteners or what.

Thanks

(Candy Lind) #15

@rpmckee @Dustin @jamestorie @jfricke assuming you are all still around, I’m seeking out and directing all professional (truck) drivers HERE. I’m trying to get all truckers to post questions, tips, tricks, etc. in one place. Being on the road is a unique challenge, so we need to tackle it together. :grin: I hope you’ll take a look and post what has worked (and NOT worked!) for you.

I realize this is an old thread, so everyone please excuse the bump and head on over to the truck drivers thread … Thanks!

(Dustin) #16

Hi Candy, I am a otr expeditor. Have done keto for…year and a half.

(Robert) #17

Hello I am still here. I have found having a fridge and lunchbox oven helps.

(Candy Lind) #18

@Dustin and @rpmckee please come over to the link I put up and give your best tips and tricks; and THANKS in advance!!

Candy