Dread's Progress Thread - Extended Fasting & Carnivore

zerocarb
fasting
extendedfast

(Chris) #402

Whoa, that’s quite compliment. Thanks Doug!

Today started off a bit on a the wrong foot. Up late, woke up at 4:30, in the gym after opening, and all the squat racks were taken up. Rather than wait around (it was crowded af) I left and decided to get some work done early. My plan is to leave our client location by around 8:30 and hit the gym on the way back. Theory is that the 9AMers will be gone, and it should be empty…right? Good lord, I have no idea how bad or good it will be. 5x5 at 225, it’s going to be the highest volume day so far and it’s only going to ramp up.

(Chris) #403

Made it. In and out in 30. 225 5x5 in the bag.

(Chris) #404

Too much dairy too late last night, stomach is not happy at all.

(Chris) #405

Had a better morning today. Made it out of bed at 330 and in the gym by 415. Practiced front squats (light weight) and then did a bunch of upper body stuff. Pullups, decline bench, db rows, machine press, and leg extensions. Capped it off with a dairy dump and 7 minutes in the tanning booth. The bulbs we’re filthy
:face_vomiting:

(Chris) #406

Ripped my body apart this morning. It was glorious.

(Chris) #407

Russian Squat Collusion week 4 complete. 4x4x240.

(Chris) #408

On vacation out of town. Bought 2 day passes at the local YMCA. They are closed tomorrow 7/4 which was to be my heaviest day this week. So instead I went yesterday, did my 210 6x2 and today decided to do my 250 3x3. Knocked it out of the park. I had enough steam after to rep out 20 with 135 and the 10 twice. Did a bunch of hack squats and leg extensions next and a dozen pullups in a single set to failure. Now I can take tomorrow as a rest day and finish up the week on a high note.

Note: They only had one 2.5lb plate that I could find, so I rounded up to 255 on the work sets.

On Monday morning I have to hit 265 (my max) for 2 sets of 2 reps. I had some fear about it in the weeks leading up to now (now in week 5). But to be honest after last Friday’s and today’s sessions, I’m going into this with a lot of confidence. I am now 99% certain my lack of strength in the squat is mental. I’m not or I wasn’t in a place to deal with fear properly. I think now after really doing long hours of soul-searching and listening to podcasts and whatnot, and also making failure an achievement rather than a setback has led to my having more control over how my fear effects me. The very definition of bravery is knowing there is risk and doing it anyway.

(Chris) #409

Week 5 of Russian Squat Collusion is concluded. 210, 6 sets of 2 on the final day. Back in my normal gym. On the final set I went for 5 instead of 2, felt good. There was a line for the rack so I decided to give it up and let my legs get 2 full days of good rest.

Monday I have to lift my training 1RM for 2 sets of 2, 265 lbs. After this week’s performance with 255, I am going into this workout with enthusiasm and maybe even a little bit of pride.

We will certainly see next Friday when I attempt 280x1.

(Chris) #410

Week 6 is underway, 265 2x2 was achieved. I admit I paused at the bottom of the final rep and nearly dumped the bar…but instead drove my traps up and ground the rep out. 280 1x1 on Friday. This week will be focused on rest and food.

July 11 marks one year a carnivore. July 13 marks 35 years alive.

(Chris) #411

Happy #carniversary to me! 365 days in the bag. I celebrated this morning with heavy squats followed by a 30 rep widowmaker set with 135. Here’s a breif…thing:

Pros
Don’t need plants for vitamins
Don’t need carbohydrates for energy, muscle building, or to fuel the brain
Blood markers all great, given the right context
Don’t need fiber to poop
Don’t need to poop every day
Don’t have to eat a fixed times
No cravings for sweets
No need to track anything, my body tells me when it’s finished eating
Life is simpler, due to not having to make decisions about what to eat, make, or buy
Meal prep is easier
More energy
Body is healthier overall

Healed
Obesity
Insulin resistance
Chronic rash
Skin tags
Lack of energy and excessive sleep requirements
Depression & anxiety greatly improved

Cons
Eating with others can be a pain, but it can be done
Having to explain the diet and reasons for it at great length
Can’t think of anything else

Photos: The bearded one is from February 2016, about as close to my starting point as I can get at the moment, picture-wise. The other two are from July 2018.

Notice in the bottom photo, large shirt, tanktop underneath to hide saggy man tits, knock knees, etc. This was taken during a rough time in my life but I certainly wasn’t at my heaviest. Probably over 200 by a slight amount.

(Chris) #412

Seeing some of the threads lately… I’m so grateful that Satan doesn’t give a fuck what I eat.

(Justin Jordan) #413

You and I are very different people

(Chris) #414

(Chris) #415

Today concludes not only the Russian Squat Collusion 6 week cycle, but also my 34th year. Managed to kill 280lbs x 1 with perfect form this morning, as a nice, cushy birthday present to myself.

It’s going to be a good day.

(Chris) #416

Aww shucks, best cake ever guys!

(Chris) #417

(Chris) #418

Muscle progress shots: October 20, before my hand injury and gym layoff:

November 4, 7 days before my injury:

And here’s one from July 13, right after maxing out 280:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #419

Looking good, bro! Congratulations! :+1:

(Chris) #420

This week is a deload week. I’m doing some fasting, and every-other-day and OMAD style eating. I’m still in the gym every morning (except Monday, I got to bed way too late and only got up at 5). Easy workouts only. I’ve last night finished a 36 hour fast and now I’m on a 24 hour which ends this evening.

I am still deciding on what my training will look like for the next 6 to 12 weeks. I’m mostly decided to keep going with the squat-centric theme and not worry too hard about the other main lifts. I won’t be doing 6 work sets every day or 80% max work every day. Monday will be 85% tops, Wednesday will be 95% tops, and Friday will be 60% tops for high-rep sets.

Deadlift I’m not training, there’s no need. If I had to pull 400 in competition I think I could but I’m not competing. All of those muscles are getting hit elsewise, and deadlifting is very taxing on me; energy, CNS, and all that. I may work on bench and press in the same way that squat is being handled, but I’m not too concerned with numbers.

(Chris) #421

New program is going well. I designed a 3 day a week full body strength and hypertrophy program. On off-weekdays, I will do minor things such as 100 reps of pullups and dips, calf raises, or whatever other isolation or minor work. This could also include prowler pushes and kettlebell work.

Now to work on getting to 5 sets of 20 pullups to hit that 100 number. 10x10 so far.

Lots of stress at work this week and a few personal issues that have been stressing me somewhat, but my constant gym attendance is helping with that.