Dr. Phinney's take on fasting

(Erin Macfarland ) #81

Larry I completely agree, and I can only try to explain what it’s like to be a female in this culture. The pressure is incredible. And while I don’t suffer with that same distorted mindset anymore, the thought of intentionally gaining weight is terrifying to most women. I can tell you that it is hard for me to gain weight on keto. But I’m trying hard to find balance. I’ll tell you my husband would be thrilled if I gained that extra body fat over and above the amount I need to get to “normal” haha!

If you go back as far as my adolescent years until today, I’d say that I’ve easily gained and lost 500 pounds, so intentionally gaining weight is terrifying to me just because of the mental conditioning it took to do it, most of which was under CI:CO, and I’m a man without the pressures placed on women by our current culture, so I can empathize.

(Bart) #83

There is more evidence out that is stating something different… from July 2017…

What I have taken (just my opinion, conclusion, whatever) is being healthy is the most important thing, very lean, a little lean, normal weight, a little overweight, overweight or whatever. What is your body telling you? What do your markers say when tested?

Eat the wrong way, live the wrong whether thin or overweight and you may not live as long. Eat and live the right way and regardless of leanness you will probably live longer.

I believe people need to be healthy, both physically and mentally. If you want to be super lean or you like being less lean so be it if that is what makes your mentally healthy, just be sure you are ensuring you are metabolically healthy as well.

My thoughts

(Erin Macfarland ) #84

Obviously there are many markers of "health ", for example my lipid panels, inflammation and markers for diabetes are superior, but my hormones are in the tank. So health as you point out is relative, this was also brought up on the latest 2KD podcast, you can be heavier and perfectly healthy. I don’t like blanket statements because they aren’t helpful. All people who are "overweight " aren’t sick and all people of “normal” weight are not healthy

(Alex Dipego) #85

We have to remember there is a sweet spot. Enough fat for hormonal functions to work but not too much that they turn off. Health goal
Should be in that one state, but that rarely fits to the “aesthetic” visual we desire.

(Erin Macfarland ) #86

Yes!

(Kathy L) #87

How does one know your hormones are in the tank? Did u have them tested? What tests are helpful? I’m in the midst of testing -don’t have results yet…

(Erin Macfarland ) #88

Yes!

(Erin Macfarland ) #89

I had a full workup of my reproductive hormones plus thyroid. Having low body fat makes your estrogen and progesterone super low

Ok, the data is in. I put out a poll yesterday asking people why they did or considered extending fasting. The top answer was “weightloss”.

So, evidence is pointing towards a predominant audience of extended fasting for dealing with overweight issues.

(Bart) #91

Exactly

(Stephanie Hanson) #92

Are you considering bio identical hormones or some other source. I’m having my estradiol tested soon. It’s a starting point for me.

(Stephanie Hanson) #93

I missed that one. Does loosing visceral fat count as weight loss or health. I want both. I’m greedy that way (about my health).

(Erin Macfarland ) #94

I’m not sure, I am working with Dr. Gerber, a well known Keto doc so they will be more informed about my options. I am open to doing that. I actually don’t feel bad, but I don’t want any issues down the road with bone density.

It was a poll that you can pick multiple answers. Even with the multiple answers, weightloss was the one that was picked the most. So, you would have been able to include all your reasons for fasting.

(John Nunez) #96

I lost all of my weight (115 lbs in a year) in a similar fasting regimen (19:5). 3 day fasts are great (I do them now) but are only necessary if you are having difficulty with a persistently elevated basel insulin load. Also, for other health benefits such as autophogy. For hormone regulation, collectively, the IF’s do the tricky:)

Excellent response from Dr Jason Fung regarding concerns of fasting, including his take on Dr Phinney’s point of view. I have respect for both doctors…however, I side with Dr Jason Fung when it comes to fasting. Jason changed my life, and gave me a powerful tool for my " health improvement toolbox". I used to communicate with him before he was famous, and he taught me lots. This podcast with Jimmy more is fantastic.

Dr Fung responds to Fasting Concerns of Dr Phinney PODCAST

(Jacquie) #98

@Fiorella Do you have an idea time-wise where in the podcast Fung responds to Phinney?

It’s throughout the podcast, on various topics, and in his last statements, he pays respect to Dr Phinney and discusses that it is ok for doctors/researchers to have these sorts of challenges to hash through.

(Jacquie) #100

Thanks! Yes, I think that’s the true sign of intelligent discussion. Nothing is taken personally in pursuit of the truth.