Dr Boz Calculates levels of autophagy using blood sugar/blood ketones ratio

I’ve been thinking along the same lines.

And this - not pics of Megan in particular but IDM clients in general. It’s of course possible (& understandable) that people just don’t want their pics online but I fear that people’s expectations of what can be achieved through fasting might be a smidge too high :woman_shrugging:

(Failed) #123

I agree. I haven’t seen or read any experiences on here that would corroborate the idea that anyone with a great weight loss had no loose skin issues.

I’m not criticizing this WOE because I know from personal experience that it works, I just don’t like over-the-top claims that cannot be validated. For me, it dilutes the reality.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #124

Nope, just what I remember reading and hear others talk about. I don’t expect everyone to fair well with loose skin. I’m hopeful that fasting and autophagy will help me. Only time will tell.

Right now I have loose skin below my biceps. Darn, I keep losing weight in my skinny parts. My stomach seems to not suffer from the same as much.

I don’t know if collagen helps but I am consuming bone broth several times a week. When I get back from my travels in September I might buy some collagen and start more regular consumption of same.

(Failed) #125

I just watched Megan’s lecture at Ketofest 2019 and she does talk about her experiences with losing 80 lbs and having minimal loose skin and what they’ve seen in their practice, somewhat encouraging. I couldn’t find a transcript, but she’s the first speaker, so not far into the 4 hours.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #126

do you have a url

(Failed) #127

Ketofest 2019

Hopefully, I did it correctly.

(KCKO, KCFO) #128

Here is the time schedule.
Megan Ramos - 12:34 Nadir Ali - 47:52 Dave Feldman - 2:08:18 Siobhan Huggins - 2:43:30

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #130

What do you start at, for glucose and ketones?
I can get my GKI down around that with just fasting for 48-72 hours.

(Bunny) #131

Not sure if this answers your question but found this on another area of the forum:

GKI Ratios:

[1] “…For cancer patients in order to stress cancer cells, the ratio should be less than 20 and should ONLY be attempted with a Doctor present. …” …More

[2] “…Dr Boz RATIO LESS THAN 20 = Cancer & extreme health issues. . This was my mom’s category. This zone is really hard. No playing around. Make sure your doctor is watching you closely. Almost all are likely to have autophagy at this stage. …” …More

image link

(KCKO, KCFO) #133

Wow, this is great, congratulations SkyStar!

(Paulene ) #135

Herb, are you still around?? How did you go with the skin sag thingy?

(Wendy) #136

Herbs last post was in May. I’m not sure he’s around anymore.

(Paulene ) #137

Ah well, was worth a shot.

(Karim Wassef) #138

I did find that fasting helped me lose some of my loose skin. Autophagy does work, but it’s very slow.

(Jane) #139

Agreed. Same here. Works, but very slow. And the loose skin that started shrinking was from long before keto and didn’t start losing it until i started to fo 3-day fasts. So for me, keto alone did nothing for loose skin.

(Paulene ) #140

Thanks for the responses @Karim_Wassef and @Janie.
Karim, did you do extended fasts (around 3 days) as well?

(Karim Wassef) #141

my fasts vary from a day to 19 days. :smiley:

This thread captures last year’s 19 day fast and this year’s 19 day fast with G, K, and GKI

(Paulene ) #142

Thanks for that, Karim. I’m hoping to get back inot EF as soon as my rash disappears - fasting makes it much worse.

(Karim Wassef) #143

Do you know why fasting makes it worse?

(Paulene ) #144

Not really - I’m looking into at present. I initially though the rash was a keto rash, even though it is not in the usual location on the trunk (mine is on my shins), so I thought the increase ketones from fasting may have been aggravating it. However, I have just finished 2 weeks back on a high carb diet, which usually quickly fixes a keto rash, and the rash is still present.
Another option I am exploring is oxalate dumping causing the rash, and I think fasting may also cause this.
There is quite a bit of information about gut biome and rashes as well. I think I have a healthy gut biome - I have not intestinal or digestion problems, I haven’t had antibiotics in about 15 years, my diet has never been very SAD, and I take probiotics every now and again (e.g., yakult or a probiotic yoghurt). The only time I had any signs of candida was when I was pregnant, last time almost 20 years ago.
This article on fasting references histamines and gut biome in fasting but antihistamines have made no difference to the rash. However, the article also mentioned a thing called Substance P, which I have never heard of before. So I’m currently looking into that.
I’m leaning towards it being an oxalate-related rash. One of the remedies is to increase calcium so I started taking a calcium supplement last weeks, and there has been some improvement, but it is not dramatically improved. I have also been applying topical cortisol cream for a few weeks, with varying results.
This week I am back on keto so I’ll see if it gets worse again.