Dr Boz Calculates levels of autophagy using blood sugar/blood ketones ratio

(Herb Martin) #82

Be kind to yourself Eric, you are doing great.

We’ve been messaging other threads so you know my results but it took me almost 3 days to get inside the DrBozRatio even coming from full carnivore (and a very recent 12 day fast).

I didn’t settle into the therapeutic autophagy, deep ketosis, and eventually deep autophagy ranges until 3-6 days water fasting.

You really are doing marvelous.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #83

Thanks. I really appreciate the pep talk.

(Karen) #84

I have been tested. My A1c is in the normal range. My blood glucose fasted is in the normal range. My BMI is 26%. I am considered slightly overweight. Trust me however that is not where I started. Although I was never off on my A1C. Just a bit fat. :stuck_out_tongue:. I’ll ask the doc next time anyway. Thanks for the advice

(Karim Wassef) #85

BMI isn’t very meaningful (really). Waist to height ratio is more meaningful.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/waist-to-height-ratio-calculator/

(Herb Martin) #86

What do you mean to say here?

BMI basically is waist to height ratio.

Technically to the square of the height but that just emphasizes height a bit more.

BMI or any such ratio is wrong for athletes and people with unusual stature in many cases.

A body builder or prize fighter with extra muscle will show up as too high.

Truly “big boned” people – and they are a bit rare – will get the wrong category as well.

(I’m both.) I don’t complain, it’s just the way it is, and even by BMI the chances are I will leave the “Obese” category TOMORROW. (Happy Dance).

Actually, if I don’t “round off” I just did. 29.988 (Looks like less than 30 to me. :grin:)

If you run Windows with PowerShell (or load it on Linux/MacOS) this will get you BMI:

Function Get-BMI {
  Param(
    $Weight, 
    $Height = 70,
    $Round = 2,
    [switch]$NoRound = $False
  )
  If ($NoRound) { $Round = 15 }
  [math]::Round(($Weight * 0.453592) / [math]::Pow($Height * 0.0254, 2), $Round)  
}

Enjoy!

(Herb Martin) #87

And ketone strips are 2 to 3 times more expensive.

Practice with glucose strips. :wink:

(Herb Martin) #88

Woot Woot!!!

Way to go Rebecca.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #89

Oddly enough the co-pay on ketone strips for the same amount as glucose is much lower than for glucose strips! Its about 1/3 of the cost.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #90

Thanks!

Tonight’s was:
BG 74(4.1), BK 4.1, GKI 1.0

The only things I had before dinner were green tea (from Starbucks (SB)) with no sweetener, but 3 stevia added, and 2tbsp of flaxseed oil.

(Herb Martin) #91

Well I’ll be darned.

I am paying for them because I’m not diabetic.

I wonder if my wife is getting them under insurance due to T2D diagnoses (which has now resolved).

She gave me an spare glucose meter, and I bought us (one) ketone meter.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #92

I’d talk to your doc and see if they are willing to write a prescription for it. It wouldn’t hurt to ask. You could always use the “well, you wouldn’t want my glucose too low or ketones too high” line w/ your doc and see what they say.

(Karim Wassef) #93

I find most doctors to be less informed that you would expect. Some are frankly terrified of this…

Maybe say that you’re considering nutritional fasting for a couple of days at a time and this will help you make sure you’re in good shape. That “might” work better.

Of course, your doctor may still freak out…

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #94

Mine is a “new” young doc and open to these kinds of things. He’s not sure where he stands on keto yet - he wants to see more long-term research, but he’s happy to support me in it.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #95

I did not ask for a prescription for meter and strips but I did inform my PCP that I skip breakfast most days and do one to two EF per week. This after she looked me directly in the eyes and said you are ketogenic right? After all of that she said, “keep doing what your doing, it is obviously working”.

(Karim Wassef) #96

If you have a doctor who gets it, that’s awesome! :+1:

My experience has been the opposite unfortunately.

(Herb Martin) #97

This morning was the best GKI I’ve had:

BG 55 (lowest also), Glucose 6.8 (near the highest) = GKI 0.44

Way down lowwwww…

Dropped an extra pound, so I am at 207

(Passed the obese cutoff last night so now I am just “overweight”.)

(Karen) #98

Fantastic! Well done!

(Barbara) #99

If you are fasting, you might get the best readings for ketone just before you break your fast. I test BG & Ketones right before dinner.
Here is the link to keto mojo with their advice on when to test.
https://keto-mojo.com/pages/when-to-test-your-ketones-and-your-glucose

(Barbara) #100

Well Done!!!

(Barbara) #101

I want your doctor Eric!!!