Dr Bernstein diet solution question

(TJ Borden) #62

Have you tried checking your blood glucose in the morning?

(TJ Borden) #64

You can pick up a meter pretty cheap on amazon or at just about any drug store.

Off hand Iā€™d say if you feel better once you eat, either skip IF for a while, or just move your eating window earlier.

(TJ Borden) #67

Until you get a meter and check, you donā€™t know that your blood sugar is low.

(TJ Borden) #69

If you havenā€™t had issues with blood sugar, itā€™s probsbly not critical to check. I just donā€™t think you can assume your light headedness has anything to do with blood sugar until you check. Itā€™s just as likely an electrolyte issue.

Unless you have other medical conditions, or are taking medications that interfere with it, your liver will generate the glucose you need, and by limiting your carbs to 20 or less, your insulin should be kept in check and your glucose should stay steady.

(TJ Borden) #71

Have you tried NOT taking any of that stuff to see how you feel?

(TJ Borden) #74

If youā€™re not feeling great, AND questioning if youā€™re fat adapted; Iā€™d skip fasting for now, and just focus on eating real food. Have some bacon and eggs for breakfast, and just salt the eggs instead of taking sodium. Try keeping it simple for a while and see how you feel.

Personally, I only take magnesium when Iā€™m doing extended fasts. I donā€™t take anything daily. I trust that Iā€™m getting most everything I need from the food I eat, which is most meat and eggs.

I use to take magnesium every evening. I didnā€™t take it while I was doing an extended fast a couple of months ago and havenā€™t taken it since. I havenā€™t had one cramp. I did however have really bad cramping when I started keto. Not sure if this helps but I donā€™t take any supplements anymore. Just salt my food liberally

Most people supplement their electrolytes (drink ketoaid) while fasting. When I fast I drink water and San Pellegrino. If I feel hungry Iā€™ll have a cup of black coffee. I also have pink salt rocks that Iā€™ll munch on if I feel like I need sodium. I havenā€™t experienced any cramps in a few months while fasting or feasting.

I have moved to a mostly carnivore diet. I am not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. I am very happy that they have subsided thoā€¦those calf cramps were a bitch at 2am. :slight_smile:

The San Pellegrino is just sparking water. It has some trace minerals in itā€¦ Sodium and calcium I believe.

Hahaha. I use to be the exact same way. I wouldnā€™t touch the stuff with a 10 foot pole. I gather my taste buds are changing because I actually really enjoy them now

It might be. I didnā€™t like coffee or beer at first either :wink:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #93

Iā€™m drinking a San p as we speak. I love that stuff. My husband recently tried one and nearly spat it out. I thought I was in the clear. Nope. He acquired the taste and now I have to hide a few extra bottles so that there is some left for me.

I eat a lot when I eat. If I eat 2 mealsā€¦ Iā€™ll have a smallish lunch and a huge dinner. Sometimes I only eat dinner. I donā€™t really get hungry much anyoneā€¦its more of a feeling of I could eat.

(TJ Borden) #99

Have you tried since keto? Why fill up on veggies instead of filling up on bacon?

(TJ Borden) #103

Do whatever works for you, but meat has both potassium and magnesium, so that shouldnā€™t be a deterrent from going carnivore.

Are you basing your needs on what youā€™ve found YOU need, or based on RDA guidelinesā€¦which are based on a SAD diet?

(TJ Borden) #104

Meat is a FAR superior source of bio available nutrients than veggies.

Iā€™m not going to try to sell anyone on carnivory. If you WANT to eat veggies, have at itā€¦ you can have my share too, but donā€™t fill up on veggies because you feel like you NEED to.

(Running from stupidity) #107

THIS

AND THIS

(TJ Borden) #108

Again, what are you basing your targets on?

(Running from stupidity) #109

Makes it difficult to know whatā€™s actually happening.

(TJ Borden) #111

Thatā€™s not what Iā€™m asking. Iā€™m asking what youā€™re basing your perceived goals on?

Even though, as @juice pointed out, itā€™s tough to know if your hitting them if youā€™re not keeping track.