Dr Bernstein diet solution question

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

T.J.'s post pretty much explains it, but it might help you to know also that there is a maximum amount of fat per day that you can take out of your fat cells, so there is a limit on how many calories you can get per day from internal sources. And this limit goes down, of course, as you burn off your excess fat.

Richard did a fascinating post on this in the Science forum, and it explains why, in general, we need to eat, even when we are getting calories from our excess fat, and why lean people have trouble fasting (of course, the body can also use muscle tissue for fuel, but that is usually not a good thing).

(TJ Borden) #25

I loved that episode. That’s what actually got me thinking about a super long fast. I have enough stored energy to meet ALL of my caloric needs for quite a while.

I also wonder though, Richard talked about the max, but does that necessarily mean that’s what the body will ACTUALLY pull, or it’s just somewhere up to that point.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #26

My guess is that, under the right circumstances (i.e., fasting), the body will go right up to the max. Whether the max will be enough, that is the question.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #30

Either that, or the person gets really hungry and has to stop fasting. One of the things they noticed from people’s experience in the concentration camps in Germany, was that the body held on to some fat until quite late in the starvation process. It seems there is a mechanism to try to balance things as much as possible. (Fat and protein are both essential to various processes in the body. It must be quite a juggling act.)

(TJ Borden) #35

Which for most people, it won’t

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #38

It could be low sodium, because sodium, potassium, and magnesium all regulate the levels of the other two.

Apparently, from recent research, the healthiest daily amount of sodium is 5 g, which translates to 2-1/2 tsp of table salt (includes salt already naturally in the food). I don’t really know how much magnesium and potassium we need, however. Sorry!

ETA: During a fast, you would want to drink to thirst; just don’t overdrink. Supplementing electrolytes could indeed be helpful, too. Some people recommend a cup of bone broth a day while fasting, for that reason. It supplies electrolytes but doesn’t have enough calories to break your fast.

(Running from stupidity) #40

Finally!

(Heather~KWOL for life!) #41

Rhabdomyolysis is not what you want (breakdown of muscle tissue)

(Heather~KWOL for life!) #44

Your body will burn fat if you have extra…like me :wink: but eating protein, in my train of thought, would be keeping muscles healthy and not breakdown

(TJ Borden) #47

Well that’s too bad, because it’s a cool looking word… although I don’t know how to pronounce it.

You and me, both. I think if I shared MY pronunciation, I’d get kicked off the forum. And that’s saying A LOT!

(Heather~KWOL for life!) #49

Thank you for making me chuckle lol… electrolytes were a big thing for me until I switched to Propel, I usually have 2 in a 24 hour period and I’m not having to act like I need a salt lick anymore :wink:

Been there, LOL! :rofl: :rofl:

(Running from stupidity) #51

If you were a moron[1] then you’d have to avoid it because you can’t pronounce it…

[1]Jury out

(Empress of the Unexpected) #52

And speaking of morons, my ex had a law school professor who informed a student that she was a MORONE.

(Running from stupidity) #53

(Empress of the Unexpected) #54

Wonder how he pronounces it… :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Running from stupidity) #55

It always disappoints me, that image, because it would be PERFECT if he had spelled it “BRIAN” as well :slight_smile:

(Heather~KWOL for life!) #58

Lol

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #60

To quote Bugs Bunny: “What a maroon!”