Dr Berg or Dr Berry?

conversationstarters

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #141

My keto twin! :+1:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #142

This. My family lost too many children, in the days before vaccines. I had a lot of the childhood diseases myself, and I wouldnā€™t wish them on anyone. There is a small percentage of the population that has trouble with vaccines, and so the rest of us should all be vaccinated, so the herd immunity can keep them safe, too.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #143

Iā€™m 60, so contracted chickenpox as a kid. My poor great-grandmother contracted shingles as a result of exposure to me, and ended up at 94 in a nursing home. She died a few weeks later. Now, since I had chickenpox, I am likely to get shingles. Getting the shot next week. My daughter grew up in a good time - she got the chickenpox vaccine. She will never have to worry about shingles.

(Brian) #144

I got the chickenpox somewhere in my early 20ā€™s. It wasnā€™t fun. There was another young adult that got them at about the same time I did at the same medical center. I was told she did not survive.

Iā€™ve wondered whether Iā€™ll eventually get to deal with the shingles. Interestingly, I didnā€™t really ā€œitchā€ all that much with the chickenpox. I canā€™t say it was painful the only exception being the ones inside my ear canals. That hurt. For a long time, I couldnā€™t hear that well and a doctor told me at the time that surgery may be necessary at some point. Iā€™m thankful it was not and that my hearing is good enough to pass most hearing tests without any need for aidsā€¦ at least so far. Iā€™m in my mid 50ā€™s. Describing what having the chickenpox actually felt likeā€¦ hmmmā€¦ reduce the illumination normally experienced by about 35% and the feeling of vital force by about 60%. I was a pretty sick puppy for a while. Basically, stayed home in bed.

My childhood immunization records are a bit sketchy. I know I had some but I donā€™t know if I had all of them. About the only thing recent is a tetanus shot.

(Running from stupidity) #145

And a significantly larger number of people who piggy-back off them in order to promote their bizarre worldview and need for attention/be seen as ā€œdifferentā€.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #146

Sad - I had no idea that could happen. I thought chickenpox was relatively benign. We have a friend, a doctor, who somehow contracted mumps as a child. His vocal cords were destroyed. He manages (somehow) to make himself understood to patients.

Hear there is a stomach virus vaccine coming in the next few years. I am all in!!!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #147

Itā€™s totally okay to get shots whenever. Most wear off after a period of time.

(Brian) #148

It usually is for a child. I donā€™t know why but it tends to be a more serious thing with an adult.

Yes mumps is kind of a scary one. It can attack in fairly peculiar ways. I believe there was some evidence that I had the vaccine as a child but I kinda remember there was a question about either measles or German measles. I havenā€™t heard about either of those for a while.

Itā€™s one of the smaller worries I have about when the grandkids come to visit. So far, itā€™s only been head lice. (Havenā€™t gotten it yet but always cautious.) But I know they travel in a lot of circles I never would and are exposed to way more stuff.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #149

Measles really bad. German measles, benign. Sorry, Iā€™ve been a doctor wannabe my whole life.

Unless you are the foetus of a pregnant woman.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #151

Talking about adults.

(Brian) #152

I do kinda remember, back in my first year of high school, I got sent to a local nurseā€™s office where they took some blood. And I believe I remember they were concerned about whether I could be a carrier of German measles. At the time, I had no idea what that actually meant. They didnā€™t give me a shot. They didnā€™t keep me out of class. I just went back to what I was doing and never heard another thing about it. (?)

Fun, fun.

Granted, but some adults get pregnant and rubella in a foetus of ten weeks or less is catastrophic.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #154

I agree - just saying everyone should get vaccinated.

(Running from stupidity) #155

So you were like a pathogen spy?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #156

Most of the childhood diseases are bad enough when children catch them, but adults generally suffer worse. My mother had a friend who nearly died of whooping cough, which she caught from her (unvaccinated!) grand-children. Poor woman thought she had already had it and was safe. Oops!

(Running from stupidity) #157

+1

(Brian) #158

I never really did understand what was going on. If I was carrying something (potentially contagious), it would have seemed I should have been isolated from my classmates in some way. If I was in danger of getting something because I hadnā€™t been vaccinated, I would have thought theyā€™d be either watching me, isolating me, or vaccinating me. I was never told much so still donā€™t really know exactly what was up. Itā€™s even possible that I actually had all of the vaccinations and my parents couldnā€™t find all of the papers when asked.

It may be a bit of a morbid thought but I suspect Iā€™ll be going through a bunch of my parentsā€™ old papers in the not too distant future. Mom passed a little less than 2 years ago and dad is 95 in March. Men in our family donā€™t make it to 90 so heā€™s definitely in uncharted terrirory. I have an idea, though, that if past history gives hints towards future discovery, weā€™ll likely find electric and phone bills from the 1950ā€™s onward plus many even older documents that were never discarded. The immunization records of us kids may very well be there waiting to be discovered. :confused:

(Keto Omad) #159

I donā€™t care if theyā€™ve had studies published under their names in some medical journal. Should I trust all of those sugar sponsored studies that weā€™ve been looking at for the past 40 years that tell us itā€™s just all about moderation?

Iā€™ve known a few dietitians who pedal garbage information because it was in their textbook, even people whoā€™ve gotten their education very recently. Itā€™s not important to me what kind of certificate you have. A lot of us who have learned about low-carbing on our own have researched far more than some of these degree holding parrots. I will take Scott the Truck Driverā€™s advice over people like this.

(Keto Omad) #160

That doesnā€™t make much sense, considering Dr. Berg puts out tons of videos for free. Do you also fault Dr. Berry and Dr. Finney for putting out books and making money from them? I donā€™t think I need my health gurus living in a cardboard box to prove to me that theyā€™re being genuine.