Dr Berg or Dr Berry?

conversationstarters

(Sharon) #61

I am a retired RN and know many doctors who had a wife through med schools and early years in their practices. Then it seems after a few years it all falls apart and they go on to the trophy wife who they treat better than they ever did the first one that provided emotional support to lead them to successful practices. Sour grapes. I have friends who were the “first’ wives. I wish the best for Dr Berry and Neisha, I am probably just jealous that I never had that in my life. And it is holiday season, three husbands later, I get to grow old alone. whine whine whine !!! It is always better to complain than eat stuff not part of this way of eating (;

(Brian) #62

I’m so sorry, Sharon. :frowning:

Wishing good things for you!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #63

Funny, she doesn’t strike me that way, at all. If anything, I tend to think of him as the trophy husband, lol!

Jimmy rubs some of us the wrong way. It’s just a personality thing, in my case. His ideas are sound. Dr. Mercola, on the other hand, has some weird ideas, and he has stuff to sell, too.

Gotcha :slight_smile: thanks :slight_smile:

(Carol D) #65

Of those two, Dr. Berry all the way! I like all his short videos, easy to watch with a clear point to them.

Also, as mentioned by others, Bickman and Fung are fascinating and have really detailed information. Chris Kessler is good as well.

None of them are perfect, I’m really not a fan of either one. But somebody in this space that creates a product doesn’t automatically make them a scammer either.

You saying only using a cell phone on a selfie stick and sleeping in a faraday bag is weird? AHAHAHAHAHA! I do like Mercola but the last couple years he’s been going further off the reservation for sure.

Berg or Berry? How about both and then some, I’ve got a list below.

I don’t think it’s bad if people are trying to sell stuff. I don’t think Berg is really trying to make a living out of selling seaweed, I reckon people are asking “tell us what you eat” … Besides he is spending hours and hours making those YouTube vids and then there are the costs etcetera etcetera so I can’t see why isn’t allowed to recoup some of that?

All those doctors are sticking their necks out and they all deserve a metal for breaking ranks with the S.A.D lies so I reckon we should give them all a break. It’s easier for them to keep peddling the lie and handing out statins like they’re tic-tacs …

In no particular order:-

• Phinney (he speaks of diets costing a few bucks a day, nothing fancy is required),
  • Volek
  • Westman
  • Tim Noakes (very interesting South African) full-on S.A.D advocate does 180 degree turn and now full-on keto
  • Ivor Commins
  • Gary Taubes
  • Robert Lustig
  • Joseph Mercola
  • Nina Teicholz
  • Atkins books are great (yes Aktins is keto)
  • DietDoctor web site …

There is a huge amount of great information including of course our resident POD casters :slight_smile:

(Keto Omad) #69

I agree with basically everything you said!

I also just wanted to say that I have never liked this idea that someone should be considered the authority on this subject just because they have an MD after their name. Sorry to any doctors out there, but…they (some, not all, of course) have regurgitated a lot of garbage information to their patients for decades, causing untold damage to people’s lives because of their inability to look outside the textbook they used in college for information.

Also, what no love for Dr. Darren Schmidt out there?

(Keto Omad) #70

True! He’s usually wearing a t-shirt, a very tight t-shirt! LOL
I like his videos a lot though, he’s very nerdy about the subject, lots and lots of science, more than I can ever remember after I finished his videos. But I like that he researches the heck out of things!

(Jay Patten) #71

Dr Berry 1000%. Not a fan of Dr Berg. Sorry, not sorry.

(Keto Omad) #72

I am a bit conflicted about Jimmy Moore. He’s not my favorite personality, but I feel like a jerk saying that. I’m sure he’s a nice person. I don’t really follow him these days, but I remember when he was the biggest voice out there about low-carb, so I have a lot of respect for him and how he’s not afraid to talk about how he’s tweaked his own diet over the years.

I once stumbled across a YouTube Interview between the Primal Edge guy and Stephanie Persons, and they were both bashing Jimmy Moore and basically laughing at him saying he wasn’t the best representative of the keto diet because he’s still fat. It was cruel and I felt like I was watching a couple of cool kids laugh at the unpopular kid. These two Knuckleheads have probably never had body fat over 15% in their entire lives. I have no use for people like this.

Jimmy Moore is a total dork. I say that as someone who is actually a pretty big fan of his.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #74

I know. Richard made the same point at Ketofest, having overheard a comment about Tom Seest, one of our admins, who has lost an enormous amount of weight but still weighs quite a bit. The overheard remark was basically about how Tom was quite fat, so what did he know about weight loss? Richard’s point was, quite a bit, actually! Likewise, Jimmy has lost more than I currently weigh, so I figure he, too, knows quite a bit about keto and weight loss, regardless of his current weight.

But forgive a mild criticism here: you’re doing the same, though in reverse, with Stephanie Persons and Tristan Haggard. Remember that, as with Jimmy, we only see what they look like now, we don’t know where they started. They shouldn’t make fun of Jimmy, but we shouldn’t make fun of them, either. On the other hand, if you hear either of them say something not in accord with the best research, blast away!

(Keto Omad) #75

No, I don’t have photographs of them throughout their lives. They themselves have said this.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #76

Ah, well that’s different, then! :bacon:

(Randy) #77

A lot of pretty harsh comments about Dr Berg.

Thomas DeLauer, Dave Feldman, Ivor Cummins, Amy Berger, Tim Noakes, have all been recent guests on his channel. And for the second time below, Eric Westman.

Not bad For a “Huckster”, “Snake Oil Salesman” :unamused:

Sorry to anybody that likes either of them, but they’re both douches. I’ve tried time and time again to give them a chance and can’t get over their superiority complexes when they talk about stuff. They also both have this thing where they pretend loosing weight and getting healthy is SOOOOOO easy… if you do it the way they tell you to and talk down to any view other than theirs. On the Jimmy thing, sadly his current image does hurt him, no way around it. Wouldn’t really matter if he wasn’t such a huge face of what we do but just like Dr Atkins after he got big again, it’s pretty hard to convince people you know what you’re talking about when visually you’re the same size or possibly bigger than the people seeking your help. No different than some scrawny armed personal trainer telling you how ripped he’ll get you when your already stronger than him, most people wouldn’t go for that. Could he have all the knowledge required for you? YUP! But the visual is hard to get over. Most of us that have been around forever know that Jimmy used to be over 400lbs and for a while was pretty thin, MOST people (At least that I know, including myself) that have major loses suffer at least “a” relapse at some point. It sucks but it happens. Like @PaulL said, Jimmy knows a hell of a lot about this stuff, and without him and all his connections MANY of us wouldn’t know half of what we do. But this stuff is also a business for all of them, Don’t think Jimmy wouldn’t be doing the same thing if the roles were reversed.

(Janet) #79

You do realize how far all of us are off the reservation too? How long ago would we have called Keto crazy and all the folks we watch, including Berry as weird. Our perspective from here says we are big but
we are outliers to the world and outside the fence. Cheers. I have learned a lot from jimmy Moore because of the great guests he interviews.

True, but we’re only weirdo’s as far as mainstream “medicine” is concerned. As I said, not quite the same as using selfie sticks to talk on your phone, sleeping in a faraday bag and not driving on the highway for fear of being irradiated by cell towers. It’s becoming apparent that he’s starting to fear day to day life, and I’m a big Mercola fan! But that’s pretty different than simply not eating the mainstream diet.