Dr Berg or Dr Berry?

conversationstarters

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #156

Most of the childhood diseases are bad enough when children catch them, but adults generally suffer worse. My mother had a friend who nearly died of whooping cough, which she caught from her (unvaccinated!) grand-children. Poor woman thought she had already had it and was safe. Oops!

(Running from stupidity) #157

+1

(Brian) #158

I never really did understand what was going on. If I was carrying something (potentially contagious), it would have seemed I should have been isolated from my classmates in some way. If I was in danger of getting something because I hadn’t been vaccinated, I would have thought they’d be either watching me, isolating me, or vaccinating me. I was never told much so still don’t really know exactly what was up. It’s even possible that I actually had all of the vaccinations and my parents couldn’t find all of the papers when asked.

It may be a bit of a morbid thought but I suspect I’ll be going through a bunch of my parents’ old papers in the not too distant future. Mom passed a little less than 2 years ago and dad is 95 in March. Men in our family don’t make it to 90 so he’s definitely in uncharted terrirory. I have an idea, though, that if past history gives hints towards future discovery, we’ll likely find electric and phone bills from the 1950’s onward plus many even older documents that were never discarded. The immunization records of us kids may very well be there waiting to be discovered. :confused:

(Keto Omad) #159

I don’t care if they’ve had studies published under their names in some medical journal. Should I trust all of those sugar sponsored studies that we’ve been looking at for the past 40 years that tell us it’s just all about moderation?

I’ve known a few dietitians who pedal garbage information because it was in their textbook, even people who’ve gotten their education very recently. It’s not important to me what kind of certificate you have. A lot of us who have learned about low-carbing on our own have researched far more than some of these degree holding parrots. I will take Scott the Truck Driver’s advice over people like this.

(Keto Omad) #160

That doesn’t make much sense, considering Dr. Berg puts out tons of videos for free. Do you also fault Dr. Berry and Dr. Finney for putting out books and making money from them? I don’t think I need my health gurus living in a cardboard box to prove to me that they’re being genuine.

(Doug) #161

People can make a ton of money from “free videos” on Youtube. Berg spams them out like crazy, even at the cost of contradicting himself, making ludicrous errors, not to mention pushing BS “supplements” that are grossly over-priced even in comparison to other ‘snake-oil’ salespersons, etc…

Look deeper, too - lots of the money Berg makes goes to Scientology - which is one of the nastiest organizationg going. This ought to be at least an 800 lb. gorilla in the room for reasonable people. Quite a few good posts in this thread:

(Jane) #162

+10000000000000

Well… being that the term ‘anti-vaxxer’ is in fact used as a slur and/or to obstruct discourse on informed consent (not saying you’re doing that, just pointing to the where it came from) actually makes me more interested in any smart person labeled that :rofl:

Sidenote - Few people in today’s digital media culture seem to know that there is diversity in vaccine dissent.

Apart from various & sundry fundamentalists, new agers, and vegan parents - inoculation critics are also well-educated scholars, midwives, nurses, and independent physicians who are specifically addressing worthy issues like combined vaccines vs. single dose (MMR vs. separate shots for measles, mumps, and rubella over time) as well as profit-driven excessive boosters.

They are also addressing the fact that average young children now receive some 70 doses compared to former decades of just 12 or so - starting as newborns (which I find appallingly unethical). It’s the combined vaccines side effects subject that the CDC itself has documented and fraudulently covered up - and for which Dr. William Thompson, senior scientist at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and whistleblower on that fraud was put under Federal protection. In Australia, much work has been done by midwives to expose the Gardasil vaccine’s risks for young women & girls, including the death rates.

The antithesis of the very trope “anti-vaxxer” is well displayed in the people featured in Robert DeNiro’s Tribeca Films documentary “Vaxxed” on these particular issues and the CDC expose story. I saw it at a private screening at a theatre, and found it to be really well done in its artful yet measured exploration of nuanced issues and diverse people. Due to a campaign against the film - a social contagion which originated from high places in industry & government - it got pulled from the U.S. Tribeca film festival, for which De Niro later expressed great regret.

The global pharmaceuticals industry is the largest industry on earth - outpacing oil, gas, and petrochemicals combined. This is an astonishing fact and huge scam that should inspire us to question it. Lots of financial incentives behind it. And the stifling of well-measured scholarly dissent and independent research in a post-postmodernist corporatized medicine is ‘de rigueur’ these days - just look at what happened to Dr. Tim Noakes, Dr. Gary Fettkes related to dietary guidelines, etc etc

I’m a huge fan of everybody questioning industrial “medicine” and “food”. And also of social change to ensure that all children are well-nourished from before birth (which means valuing female access to education, health, and safety) for informed choice on a range of topics. I’ve long advocated being conservative with vaccines and liberal with informed choice education on a range of small print on ingredients and side effects, as well as on primal nutrition - successful paleo/mammalian breastfeeding rates (meaning, exclusive for at least the first 6 months and then continuing for at least a year or - four, the worldwide average and relatively rare in high tech westernized cultures) has enormous benefits for both mother and child’s immunological, hormonal, and neurological health that can’t be replicated by any lab. Babies & children have stone-age nervous systems, and immunity in an industrial culture is a vast subject that deserves way more than reductionism.

Dr. Berg on the other hand - well, I don’t follow him or what he’s said on the subject.

I’d rather that public health meant everybody was in recovery from carb/sugar addiction and nourished with nutrient dense foods and the magic pill effects of that rather than merely given today’s excessive and combined vaccines along with little to no standards or support for moving away from the SAD. Idealistic, I know… :blush:

But the global pharmaceutical industry is bigger than oil, gas, and petrochemicals combined - and their ethical abuses are longstanding. Drug corporations now have “rights” and get away with a frequent lack of long term studies on safety & efficacy as well as insidious marketing and suppression of informed choice to ensure max profits.

So… in a context such as this, I think we should be questioning everything pharma is selling along with the inoculation schedules and dosages influenced by their sales agenda and then called public health. Rather than the typical 12-20 inoculations that I was given growing up in the 60s and 70s, children now are receiving 48-70 doses, often in dangerously unproven combined forms. Vaccines aren’t nutritious, they’re certainly not even vitamin shots - they contain toxic aluminum and formaldehyde etc. It’s very concerning.

Many parents are bullied by insurance and institutions and industrial society in general into being more concerned about maintaining child immunizations at the new levels rather than being allowed and supported to make informed choices. Choices like - to refuse neonatal injections, to value mother’s milk and ancestral nutrition. As well as to postpone shots until the first pivotal couple years of brain development have transpired, and to refuse combined shots. Also to protect whatever natural immunity children do have with real foods, preventative care, and traditional self-care remedies. As it is, lots of adults don’t have the privileges required to be able to stay home and care for sick kids, and unpaid family leave doesn’t help, so it’s quite a bind. Meanwhile, children’s metabolic derangement & obesity is a plague.

Call me close-minded but I just think it would be silly for people to be seriously debating whether or not they should vaccinate their children if it weren’t for the fact that we’ve brought back diseases like polio, mumps, etc., that were practically eradicated from society. And a big part of the anti-vaccination sweep in America was due to the fraud who tried to correlate vaccines with autism (which isn’t how autism works). The anti-vaccination movement, at least in America, strongly belongs with the broader anti-intellectual movement.

There are plenty of otherwise smart people who believe in some stupid stuff. There’s people out there right now who believe that the Earth is flat. And I’m not saying that people shouldn’t have a healthy distrust of the government, because they absolutely should. But one of the major reasons why I don’t try persuading people to join Keto is that some people in the group can’t help but drink the Kool-aid and think everything is a giant conspiracy. And I think if anything kills Keto in the public mind, it’s going to be guilt by association with people who are telling others not to vaccinate their kids, or other such outlandish statements. Can’t we leave that nonsense to the vegans?

hahah really? “sugar industry”. Ok then.

(Keto Omad) #167

I’m not quite sure how to read your response. Are you laughing about the idea that the sugar industry could do this? I won’t even bother to link to all of the reporting that came out 2 years ago about this. I assume you can do that yourself.

(Keto Omad) #168

Yes of course, but you can say this about anyone on YouTube or anyone who does anything to bring in extra income. Dr Berry has a patreon account. I’m cool with that. Whatever. I’m not here to defend Dr. Berg, in particular, his Scientology connections do make me a little itchy. I just don’t see what the big deal is.

I should also point out that I’ve seen videos where he’s directed people to inexpensive supplements that he doesn’t sell.

On the other hand, I have felt that he’s sliding into Dr.Oz territory where he seems to find a new deficiency to freak out about every other day. Hmm maybe I have more problems with him that I thought. LOL

so where do you think Dr Berg got his information from? If you dont care about scientific research and if you have this disdain for experts, the “non experts”, such as a chiropractor giving medical advice has to have learned what he knows from somewhere. why is this source more trustworthy?

(Jane) #170

@Klin53

Which experts do you find credible?

(Running from stupidity) #171

Now you’re getting it :slight_smile:

(Splotchy) #172

I’m a Berry fan - he’s direct, genial & humorous without being irritatingly whacky, He gives advice that is realistic and practical. As a medic he’s had the insight/humility to acknowledge the previous years of getting it wrong by promoting unevidenced advice on HCLF - and put that right. Honesty in the face of contradictory guidelines is brave in a professional. His short YouTubes are great.

Plus I like his cheeky smile and Tennessee drawl! {small swoon}

I like Jason Fung too for pretty much the same reasons even if he does not hail from Tennessee…

Dom d Agostino. He is an actual scientist. Works with cancer research as well

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #174

As Berg calls himself Dr. when he’s a Doctor of Chiro, not of Medicine, and I have a reflexive suspicion of chiro doctors who bat outside their lanes (spines), Berry. But really, Bikman when he appears anywhere, Eades & Eades whenever Dr. Mike or Dr. Mary Dan have anything to say, and Dr. Ted Naiman.

(Jane) #175

He has an interesting website.

Why does he take exogenous ketones? He mentioned wanting to lower his GKI but I am unclear if the GKI numbers mean the same if you are drinking extra ketones instead of your body producing them.