Donuts

(AnnaLeeThal) #1

Has anyone successfully made a Keto donut, the authentic kind that is deep fried? I would actually prefer something like a fritter.

(Tim W) #2

Did you ever find anything?

I made these today and wanted to check and see if they had been posted here yet…

I fried them in coconut oil and then dusted in erythritol/cinnamon mix and since I’m eating in very small windows, I ate them all rather than save any for others… :smile:

Make sure to include the butter in the recipe, I actually put a pat of butter on top of the cooked product and drizzled with home-made almond butter… next time, maybe some shaved dark chocolate on top that melts into the fritter.

http://www.wheatlessbuns.com/apple-fritters/apple-fritters-low-carb-gluten-free

(AnnaLeeThal) #3

I made a baked chocolate donut, but it wasn’t amazing. This recipe looks promising!

(Tim W) #4

I’m going to keep tweaking it. My wife is fasting and she’s been craving an apple fritter for over a week, I want to get this perfected as a treat for her post fast.

I used pink lady apples, just a little shy of the 1/4 cup it called for, and they didn’t have a lot of apple flavor so I might add some apple seasoning of some kind, I’ll have to look for an apple flavored extract or what have you. I think I’m going to add cinnamon to the batter next time as well.

On a good note, I had zero insulin response after eating them, now just to get the apple flavor to pop more.

(Tim W) #5

In the interest of making these as tasty as I can for my wife when she’s done fasting I tweaked the recipe:

• Mixed up some home-made apple pie spice
  • Used a braeburn apple, this was sweeter and added a lot more flavor to the end product
  • Added 1/2 tsp of the apple pie spice and 1/2 tsp of vanilla to the recipe
  • Switched pans, I used a cast iron skillet the day before, this time I used a deep pan so I could keep the coconut oil stored for future experiments
  • Made the fritters larger, I wet my hands and made them up like a burger patty
  • The end product was good, I drizzled a little home-made almond butter and put a little dark chocolate on top, it hit that “I got to eat a doughnut craving” for sure.